:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :

cougie
cougie Posts: 22,512
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
I've ridden plenty on 23mm on gravel - its fine in a straight line.

It depends on how much gravel and what percent of the ride it is - you'll get a wider tyre on the same rim as that - but what clearance is there ?

Personally I'd try it on 23 and see how it goes before spending.

Comments

• I ride my 23c reasonably often on gravel, they are ok if you take it slowish (12-15mph) and the rocks aren't too big. The likes of ordinary cycle paths with a fine gravel surface are fine.

tbh the biggest issue I have is not the tyres but that it gets the bike really filthy and takes a lot of cleaning.

Wider tyres are better of course but it all depends on clearance, for the forks, brakes etc.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It's more down to your speed and if possible getting in the right position before you hit the gravel.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    If frame clearance is generous you have the option for wider tyres but they are not compulsory. If you get a race frame, thin tyres are your only option. I suggest you hunt around for a frame with long drop calipers to accept 28 or even 32mm tyres.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    It depends on the thickness of the gravel too ...

tbh I wouldn't want to routinely ride any distance on gravel with 23mm tyres - I'd prefer 30mm on the CX.
    Two reasons -

1) Wider tyres flow over the uneven surface better - better for both grip and steerage
    2) the risk of pinch flats reduce with the wider tyres
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Loose gravel surfaces and bikes aren't a good combination on any tyre width.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Slowbike wrote:
    It depends on the thickness of the gravel too ...

tbh I wouldn't want to routinely ride any distance on gravel with 23mm tyres - I'd prefer 30mm on the CX.
    Two reasons -

1) Wider tyres flow over the uneven surface better - better for both grip and steerage
    2) the risk of pinch flats reduce with the wider tyres

Yes, while road bikes are fine from time to time on gravel, I agree that if I were going on gravel on a daily basis that I might want something with wider tyres.