Suntour??!!

scottbramwell
scottbramwell Posts: 78
edited August 2013 in MTB general
Right, I have been out of the MTB'in for about a year, and making a come back, have a decent amount of money to buy a new bike but since when has every manufacturer or company began to stick suntour on their bikes, now when i was last on my bike I have always disliked suntour, so unless they have become very popular since, why are they using them???
Whyte 801
The destination is not as important as the journey!!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ever used a high end suntour like an axon?
  • fredblob
    fredblob Posts: 196
    i see no problems with suntour they make some good quality items
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Suntour used to be the big name brand and Shimano the cheap stuff....if you go back a ways anyway!

SR Suntour make some perfectly good kit, the same as Shimano make some horrid stuff (the cheap pressed steel rear mechs on BSO's with 'shimano quipped' logo's on the frame for example).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • so what your saying is that im just being silly and they are a decent manufacturer? i much prefer rock shox or fox though mmm
    Whyte 801
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    It depends, they make low end stuff that sent very good. But the epicon, raidon and axon forks are pretty good.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    So a Rockshox Dart is much better than any Suntour? Dart being pretty much the same as an XCT, a Dart2 an XCM and a Dart3 an XCR.

Suntour make perfectly good stuff to a reasonable budget they also make some pretty good stuff but nothing (yet) really top end, they also make some horrid stuff like Shimano do and some mediocre stuff like RS do.

So yes being 'silly' sounds about right, although I think I'd have used naive.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would take a good Suntour fork over a similarly priced bottom end Rockshox fork.
    At the budget end of suspension you get a better fork for your money from Suntour or X Fusion than any of the big brands.
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    My first pair of air forks was a pair of Suntour Raidons I picked up cheap. Really good fork. I would buy another pair any day. The XCR XCM stuff is all OE stuff for bike builds on a specific budget! It will be big business for them. The arock Shox Darts and XC's are the same basic rubbish too. I would not get too tied up with brand names.
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    Having had darts and raidons I can say that the radon is about a billion times better.

Agree though that when I first got into bikes suntour forks were pretty pap, but many are pretty good now.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    i much prefer rock shox or fox though mmm

so why not buy a rockshox or fox then?
  • cause I wanted another opinion as I have been away I wasn't certain whether they've changed since.
    Whyte 801
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As with RS, Manitou and even Fox, they do budget and top end forks.
  • The Rookie
    You don't buy a fork by brand, but by model........
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    X Fusion seem to be doing some really nice forks we dont see them much in this country but my cousin in the States has just built his new Sanderson HT frame up with some X fusion 34mm forks and he says first ride out he kept thinking his front tyre was too soft because he couldnt feel any trail buzz.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap