Shimano RS80 C50 V Shimano Dura Ace 9000 C24

Birchyboy
Birchyboy Posts: 3
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I want to upgrade my wheels.

I'm mostly cycling through the Peak District doing about 50 miles and 3500 ft of climbing.

I can get the shimano RS80 C50 and the Shimano Dura Ace C24 for almost the same price. I can't get a straight answer from anyone which is better for me!!

Can someone please give me some advice!!

I will be very grateful!

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    C24s out of those. But, if you wanna keep the costs down in future you could try race23 handbuilts from wheelsmith at £450, will be about as light but you can replace the rims when they wear out, get spokes at the drop of a hat if you ever need one etc. Probably might ride better too, dunno. Rims will last longer than the milled down 0.7mm braking surface that the C24s will give you. Okay, they won't have Shimano logos on them, but that's a good thing.
  • That's fantastic! At last I have definitive answer!! I will look out for the Race23s too!
    Thank you so much
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    I have had a pair of C24 rims wear out due to braking after 2 years so bear that in mindif you intend to keep them for a long time.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    See, someone's just confirmed the kind of thing I was saying.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I have 2011 DA C24 and they have been fantastic.
    No noticeable wear on the braking surface as I use the soft Swissstop black pads, which I promptly change when they wear down.

As my bike has a Shimano groupset, I have absolutely no problem at all with the Dura-Ace c24 stickers.

The logos, do not spoil my riding enjoyment and I have not noticed any deterioration in performance due to these logos! :)
  • Unless you are racing and aero is very important to you, go for the Dura Ace wheels.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Had DA 79000 C24's, rims wore very quickly (not completely, but noticeably) when doing 300 miles in just 4 days, but weather was bad on a few days and I had the default fsa brake blocks and lots of downhills with braking. Since then changed to Swissstop green and no more rim wear.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I'm a big fan of DA wheels however, the fact that you ride in the Peak District does make me wonder if brake wear may be excessive - the hills in the Peaks are far from subtle!! Bear in mind that the DA hubs are fab and I doubt that the RS80 would be an appropriate choice when so much of your riding is up/ down hills. Wheelsmith option would be good if you are likely to replace worn rims - some folks will replace their wheels when this happens.

Peter
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    The C24 rims will be lighter than the Archetypes that the Race 23 uses, hub weight doesnt matter as much as its fixed.

The RS80's might be a good choice if you are worried about rim wear as i believe they use the same rim as the C24 with a heavier hub (Ultegra) but they are half the price of the DA's. Maybe the spokes are slightly different as well, not sure.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Ive got Rs80's on mine, the new version (silver graphics not white lettering) and they have been bomb proof, roll really well, and the faster i go the better they get. And i weight 19 stone by the way, with no spoke problems, so i know they are tough.

I dont think you would be unhappy with either of them tbh.
  • Ive got Rs80's on mine, the new version (silver graphics not white lettering) and they have been bomb proof, roll really well, and the faster i go the better they get. And i weight 19 stone by the way, with no spoke problems, so i know they are tough.

I dont think you would be unhappy with either of them tbh.

I've noticed that since switching to RS80's that you can notice them at lower speeds, but it's when speeds climb above 20-25mph they really come into their own.