Unfit, 12-27 or stick with 12-25?

arranj
arranj Posts: 66
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
It's just been playing on my mind, I live in Surrey, particularly around Sutton, there are a lot of hills around here and I am evening struggling on my granny ring triple and granny 25....

Would moving to a 12-27 make my life a lot easier or does rule 5 apply?!

Comments

• Alitogata
    Alitogata Posts: 148
    And which rule is this? The one that says that you have to struggle to get back home? Or perhaps getting back home on foot..
    Change to a 12-27 and don't bother about any imaginary rules. There are no rules. Only what make us cycling happier. :)
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I'm not sure that it would make it a lot easier, easier but only by a small amount. How big is your front cog?
    Rules do not apply, although it would be cheaper.
  • If it in any way makes the ride more enjoyable, then do it, I upped my compact to a 28 and I now actually enjoy hills, even though I could walk up them quicker!
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    get an 11-28, the 11 will make you feel a bit more manly ;)
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    I went from 12-28 to 12-30 on a compact. It made hills much more enjoyable and easier on the knees.

I don't use the 30 quite so much now but as a get-out-of-jail-free card sometimes I'm glad to have it.

From 25 to 27 is 8%, not insignificant at all. Do it.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    +1 for the 12 - 27. There's enough of a difference in gearing to help you build your stamina & confidence on hills, & you can always put the 25 back on later if you want to.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    On a slight but still relevant diversion I was grinding up a tough local hill earlier this week. I always select bottom gear (34 - 28) and just get on with it, but when I reached the top and went to change into the big ring, I was already in it! :shock: Sometimes we're tougher than we think. :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    On a slight but still relevant diversion I was grinding up a tough local hill earlier this week. I always select bottom gear (34 - 28) and just get on with it, but when I reached the top and went to change into the big ring, I was already in it! :shock: Sometimes we're tougher than we think. :)

So you were cross chaining?! Naughty!
  • arranj wrote:
    It's just been playing on my mind, I live in Surrey, particularly around Sutton, there are a lot of hills around here and I am evening struggling on my granny ring triple and granny 25....

Why 12-27, do it properly and fit a 12-30. I have an Ultegra one.
  • arranj
    That's what I was thinking, as a 9 speed 12-27 Ultegra is only about 35 quid.

With the above, an 11-28 or an 11-30 loses the 16T if I am correct? Which will make the jumps a lot bigger?
  • You get used to the jumps in ratios, what matters is the range.
  • Peddle Up!
    Slowbike wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:

So you were cross chaining?! Naughty!

My next thought, after I stopped feeling smug. :D
  • I cross chain all the time. Using 50 / 30, so I can say I've climbed up in the big ring. When in reality of course it's the same as being in the little ring and half way on the cassette.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    50/34 to 11/28 on both my bikes in east Cornwall. I am very glad I have that bottom gear, get me up most stuff
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    arranj wrote:

Why 12-27, do it properly and fit a 12-30. I have an Ultegra one.

Same on my bike 12- 30 , it is nice to have the option if I need it.
  • If you think sutton has hills you may be in for a shock should you ever venture further afield.

Anyway, use whatever cassette suits you. My CX commuter is a compact with an 11-32 cassette, can spin up anything!
  • arranj
    Where on earth can I find a 12-30? Literally can only find 12-32 SRAM ones, Shimano don't seem to like to go that high?!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I cross chain all the time. Using 50 / 30, so I can say I've climbed up in the big ring. When in reality of course it's the same as being in the little ring and half way on the cassette.

Going slightly off piste, cross chaining really is a bad idea whatever 'kudos' one gets from big ring climbing. There are no pros as far as I can see and the cons, as I see them, include:
    * Bad line which means a bad return on power (the most efficient line for the forces applied being a straight one)
    * Increased wear of the chain/cassette due to non-linear strain (not good for chain plate flex or knarled cassette teeth)
    * Excessive chain plate wear due to increased front mech rub
    * A greater risk of chain breakage due to the increased non-lateral strain on the chain, combined with the increased strains due to climbing.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    arranj wrote:
    Where on earth can I find a 12-30? Literally can only find 12-32 SRAM ones, Shimano don't seem to like to go that high?!
    You haven't looked very far :)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ultegra ... -cassette/

Tiagra too, though the size selection doesn't seem to be shown at the moment, and the Ultegra one is OOS.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Ultegra seems to be out of stock most places but Evans has Tiagra in http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... e-ec029037
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited August 2013
    I thought the OP was looking for 9 speed so the cassette would need to be 6500 compatible. I run a 12-27 Ultegra cassette on my 9 speed Tiagra setup and a 27 tooth is about the limit (with the B stop wound right down). I reckon a 30 tooth cassette would need a longer cage than the standard short one but a 34/27 combo is really low and, apart from touring, really should be enough for most hills. I can understand folks wanting a bigger sprocket when touring but I don't think that is involved here. EDIT: In fact I think the OP even mentions running a triple so that would be a bottom gear combo of something like 30/27 which should be enough to get up a climbing wall :)

So, for me, fitting a 12-27 is part of the answer along with some unavoidable hill work.

Look at your hill technique as well as fitness. Learn how to pace yourself and how to handle your bike at slow speeds whilst still retaining confidence. A HRM can also help if combined with a good base of work to determine what one's sustainable limits are but riding on 'feel' is just as valid but requires the same base level of exercise. You will get fitter and stronger providing you use the smaller gearing to its best effect by riding.
  • Peddle Up!
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I cross chain all the time. Using 50 / 30, so I can say I've climbed up in the big ring. When in reality of course it's the same as being in the little ring and half way on the cassette.

Going slightly off piste, cross chaining really is a bad idea whatever 'kudos' one gets from big ring climbing. There are no pros as far as I can see and the cons, as I see them, include:
    * Bad line which means a bad return on power (the most efficient line for the forces applied being a straight one)
    * Increased wear of the chain/cassette due to non-linear strain (not good for chain plate flex or knarled cassette teeth)
    * Excessive chain plate wear due to increased front mech rub
    * A greater risk of chain breakage due to the increased non-lateral strain on the chain, combined with the increased strains due to climbing.

Ah know I dun wrong, but I didn't know I wuz doin' it. :D
  • arranj
    If you think sutton has hills you may be in for a shock should you ever venture further afield.

Anyway, use whatever cassette suits you. My CX commuter is a compact with an 11-32 cassette, can spin up anything!

Lol...even the hill from Banstead to Woodcote kills me! I am like minutes off the pace on that segment on strava!

I think it's more my weight that makes the hills harder at around 240lb it's a killer ;) Although I do have some BB background so it's not just fat weight :)
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    I am 232 lb as of this mornings weigh in and I can get up all but the severest climbs on my 34/28 lowest gear on the roadbike.
    I have got up short 25% climbs but if they get any steeper or go for any length of time then I have to walk. It is long climby rides that start to hit me hard. After about 7500 ft of climbing I'm usually pretty shredded in the leg department. I have done rides that feature well over 10000 ft of climbing over 100+ miles and have completed - albeit slowly.
    Weight doesn't help, you'll never be quick up the slopes but it *can* be done.
  • Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    arranj wrote:
    You haven't looked very far :)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ultegra ... -cassette/

Tiagra too, though the size selection doesn't seem to be shown at the moment, and the Ultegra one is OOS.
    That's a 10 speed.