Headaches

foggybike
foggybike Posts: 160
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Clocked up my first 60 miler today :D

http://www.strava.com/activities/77613839

Started to feel it towards the end on the inside of my knees. But the main problem I had is a thumping headache after. Is this purely dehydration? I didn't push particularly hard on the ride as I wasn't to bother about how long it took.

I drank 1 litre throughout the ride with two gels, then had about 2 litres over the hour when I got home.

Any thoughts, should I just drink more.

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    nearly 4hrs of riding and only 1ltr...hell yes ! was warm today. Drink more and your performance would have been better as well. Dont go crazy tho or your constantly need the loo :oops:
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Know where your pubs are! And carry a few coins for the uncharitable ones that won't fill your bottles for free. On a hot day like today I would be expecting to do at least one refill (I carry 2 x 750ml bottles).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • foggybike
    Hmmm, i'm obviously not drinking enough then. I don't drink enough normally day to day to this must be the reason. I was out at about 7am so was back before it got to warm. I'll take two bottles with me next time.

Cheers.
  • Seriously dehydrated.......wise up and drink more including your normal non bike days. It is not uncommon for people who sweat a lot for consumption rates to rise to 1 litre per hour when intensity rises. You will soon find out your intake outflow rate and work from there. If your outflow is minimal and is yellow to dark yellow and stinks that's not good you need to drink more and not just plain water.
    Viner Magnifica
    Fondreist TF3 1.2
    Cervelo P3
    Aeron
    Viner Icarus
  • Water takes roughly half an hour to get into the system, you should be drinking plenty before your ride too, at least an hour before.
    2010 Specialized FSR XC Pro - XTR group set
    2013 Boardman Team Carbon - Std, for now ;)
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Dagowly83 wrote:
    Water takes roughly half an hour to get into the system, you should be drinking plenty before your ride too, at least an hour before.

Does my pre-ride dose of a mug of really, really strong coffee count?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • You'd hope, as I'd be drinking my own weight in tea! Lol. But both tea and coffee are diuretics :(
    2010 Specialized FSR XC Pro - XTR group set
    2013 Boardman Team Carbon - Std, for now ;)
  • foggybike
    Thanks all, i'll take on the advice and get another bottle onboard. I know myself that I don't drink enough, I always say right start drinking this much each day, but it never happens. I don't seem to get thirsty very often either.

I'm going to struggle to drink a lot before I go out, I suppose I could just down a glass of water before hand.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Headaches can also be due to having your lid too tight.

Your head swells when you get hot.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • foggybike
    smidsy wrote:
    Headaches can also be due to having your lid too tight.

Your head swells when you get hot.

Funny you should say that, I did have a dent on my forehead when I got back... Could be a combination of both.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    That is just where you are under the thumb :-)

Sounds like it was too tight.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    foggybike wrote:
    Thanks all, i'll take on the advice and get another bottle onboard. I know myself that I don't drink enough, I always say right start drinking this much each day, but it never happens. I don't seem to get thirsty very often either.

I'm going to struggle to drink a lot before I go out, I suppose I could just down a glass of water before hand.

I try to minimise my fluid intake before the ride - that water just makes me want to pee early in the ride. Water I take on whilst actually riding doesn't. Mind you, I don't take on that much water anyway. I had two 750ml bottles on the bike on Sunday and probably half topped up one of them. I rode 187 miles! Did have a pot of tea at the Cake stop though.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • foggybike
    187 miles! I was happy with 60.

That is good going, how long did that take out of interest?