Hello, I would like some advice!

Roosterr
Roosterr Posts: 2
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Hello there,

I am looking at getting into road biking. I am 20 and have been cycling 20 miles every other day casually on a mountain bike, I would love to do longer distance and faster. The most I have ever done was 50 miles.

I am here asking for general advice, anything that you feel could help me.

I am 6ft5 and looking at spending around £500 - £700 on a road bike. If anyone could help me that would be fantastic!

I was also wondering, which equipment is super essential e.g. clothing and types of things you should always have on you.

I am also a size UK 14 shoe and have been finding it hard to find that size of cycling shoes, if anyone has a place they could recommend I would appreciate that.

Thank you for your time,

Scott

Comments

• hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Welcome to the forum Scott!

Difficult to recommend a bike but most modern bikes from the big brands in that price bracket are very good. It comes down to personal preference. Get the highest spec you can afford. A bike with Tiagra level equipment will be good for that price range.

As for essentials:

To get started with; bibshorts, clipless pedals/shoes, helmet, mini pump, spare tubes, gloves, water bottles/cages, glasses. A basic bike fit is a good idea. Ask your LBS. There will be more stuff to buy as you go along :D

You will find pre-existing threads dealing with most of the subjects you raise. Using the search function should help you locate them.
  • hi i would say polygon im not sure how much it is due to tax but excluding that 700 quid will get you a carbon fiber 105 bike ps i brought mine in a dealer in singapore so cant comment on bikeradars poor build from australia
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Have a look at Ribble bike builder options. :)
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    Go down to Local Bike Shop(s) and have a look and ask some questions. Then check all the reviews you can on the interweb. Ultimately your head will get overruled by your heart so make sure that the bike you buy you feel good on as that means you'll want to go out more.

As to the rest - bibshorts, jersey, saddle bag, small pump, cage and bottles, gloves and A HELMET. Always carry minimum of 1 spare inner tube, tyre levers and your phone. Energy gels etc. not required unless you're planning to start on 2 hour plus rides and moderate to high intensity. Also a multi tool and a little cash for emergencies.

Hope that helps and good luck.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • No offence but there are about 2-3 threads per day from someone saying recommend a new bike budget £500-£700.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    This one is 6'5" which , I guess will be the hardest part of the request to fulfil.
    You will need a big bike, the biggest one that you can find. Check out the various brands for bigness, esp bigness of the top tube.
    You will also need a bike with a stiff frame so go for one with fat tubes.
    If your arms and legs are proportionally big, you will also need long cranks and wide handlebars.
    For 20 mile rides, useful kit is helmet, gloves, padded shorts, puncture repair kit, multitool, waterbottle.
    Nice to have: cycling jersey but you can use wicking style T shirts.
    As darkness looms, lights are essential and on wet roads, mudguards keep you clean and dry.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    No offence but there are about 2-3 threads per day from someone saying recommend a new bike budget £500-£700.

No offence but there are loads of posts pointing this out already.
  • Kajjal wrote:
    No offence but there are about 2-3 threads per day from someone saying recommend a new bike budget £500-£700.

No offence but there are loads of posts pointing this out already.

And there are loads of posts pointing out that this has already been pointed out.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I am just over 6ft6 and fit fine on a Trek 1 series bike 62cm frame. The thing to be careful of is height is only a starting point. More important is your proportions / size and what type of riding position you are after. Checkout the sales of 2013 bikes and give a few a test ride. Choose the bike you like the look and feel of. There are ten speed bikes on sale at the moment for £700 which makes riding smoother and more efficient.

Good luck :D
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    The only advice i would add to the above is buy decent bibshorts from the start

Dont think you are making a saving by getting cheap shorts. I made this mistake and 2 months later ended up buying all new kit.

And another thing that is sometimes forgotten is glasses. They dont need to be expensive. I picked up a pair for a tenner from amazon. This was after getting a fly in my eye at 20mph. I would NEVER ride without glasses after that experience !!!
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    I would NEVER ride without glasses after that experience !!!
    +1

I had a stone kick up from a car in front not long ago, and it smacked right into the glasses. The impact really made me jump - it hit with a hell of a bang. I've had one hit my cheek before too - it really stung.

God knows what it would have done to my eye had I not been wearing the glasses.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    The only advice i would add to the above is buy decent bibshorts from the start

Dont think you are making a saving by getting cheap shorts. I made this mistake and 2 months later ended up buying all new kit.

I ride 600 miles a month and still use my sports direct padded shorts and tights for commuting most days. I've even done 200 km audaxes in them. Got to admit that I've bought decent bibshorts for the really long stuff now but I find the cheapo shorts perfectly fine for utility riding. :?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Ribble Audax offers good value at that price. The frame may be a bit old fashioned in its geometry but it's not bad and the groupset spec is unrivalled at that price....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.