Tyre choice for Scott CR1 SL and Archetype rims

patrickf
patrickf Posts: 536
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Looking to buy tyres for a Scott CR1 SL frame with Archetype wheels.

Currently looking at Vittoria Corsa CX Open tyres.

Thing is would 25c tyres fit fine from a frame clearance point of view or should I compromise on the rims and go with 23c?

I presume that Archetype rims would be better with 25+?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    The Archetype are perfectly happy with 23...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Arent the Archetypes 23mm rims?
    I bought a set of wheels that have 23mm rims and I stuck a set of 23mm tyres on them. You'd be hard pushed to thell the difference in width between them and my other 19mm rims with 25mm tyres. I also haven't noticed any difference in ride quality.
  • patrickf
    Thanks Ugo - I was hoping you'd chime in.

I read your comment on another post from earlier this year and though twice about 23c after that - or are Vittorias generally slightly wider?
    I have built around 30-40 sets of Archetype... I am not aware of anyone who isn't happy about them... it is a damn good rim and it has now been on the UK market long enough that if there was any problem with it, it would be obvious... it is very difficult for me to justify building anything other than Archetype for sportive/fast riding.

The only limitation of a 23 mm rim is that if you use 23 mm tyres you are more likely to damage a rim on a pothole, with makes it a commuter un-friendly rim
  • ugo.santalucia
    patrickf wrote:
    Thanks Ugo - I was hoping you'd chime in.

I read your comment on another post from earlier this year and though twice about 23c after that - or are Vittorias generally slightly wider?
    I have built around 30-40 sets of Archetype... I am not aware of anyone who isn't happy about them... it is a damn good rim and it has now been on the UK market long enough that if there was any problem with it, it would be obvious... it is very difficult for me to justify building anything other than Archetype for sportive/fast riding.

The only limitation of a 23 mm rim is that if you use 23 mm tyres you are more likely to damage a rim on a pothole, with makes it a commuter un-friendly rim

Yes, the rim is less protected by the tyre... I never advise Archetype as a winter rim, when visibility is reduced and chances of hitting potholes are higher. Ambrosio 19 mm rims are a lot better for that... otherwise, bigger tyre
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Clearance on the rear with 25mm tyres is a bit tight on the cr1 sl.
  • patrickf
    Thanks for that chaps. I'll stick 23mm tyres on then.

It's more of a summer bike anyway so I'll just have to try and avoid the potholes on the country roads.
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    I've got continental 4000s 25 mm on a CR1 and no problems with clearance, fitted by LBS who races Scott bikes and knows what he's doing.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    bags of room for 25's on my SL frame as well...
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • I'm facing this issue with my Pro frame, which I believe dimension wise is the same.

I'd really like to get some 25mm tyres for the winter but the clearance on 23mm GP4000S that I have now is so tight I can't believe they'd fit and I can't afford to buy a tyre just to check!
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    I have the Conti GP Force/Attack combo and the rear is a 24c, no problem on my CR1 SL but will double check how tight it is (DA9000 C24 rims).
    Cheers, Stu
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    I'm facing this issue with my Pro frame, which I believe dimension wise is the same.

I'd really like to get some 25mm tyres for the winter but the clearance on 23mm GP4000S that I have now is so tight I can't believe they'd fit and I can't afford to buy a tyre just to check!

I have durano 25s on mine and they just about fit.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    rim width will have an effect of course - I can't run 23mm on an A23 rim on my TT bike, but on an old kinlin rim the 23mm fits fine

if you are having archetypes it sounds like you will be limited to 23mm, notwithstanding those above say 25mm is fine
  • Pryally
    Pryally Posts: 132
    I have 25mm GP 4 season on my Scott CR1 SL with Archetype rims, not much clearance but been fine for the at least 2000 miles
  • It's the GP4 season I've been thinking of getting for the winter. I suppose I should just take a punt...
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    patrickf wrote:

Yes, the rim is less protected by the tyre... I never advise Archetype as a winter rim, when visibility is reduced and chances of hitting potholes are higher. Ambrosio 19 mm rims are a lot better for that... otherwise, bigger tyre[/quote]

Will the archetype work with 25mm tires better or at least for winter commuting?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    yes it will. you can run 25mm at slightly lower pressure giving you a bigger contact patch but at the same time relatively low rollin resistance.
  • patrickf
    samsbike wrote:
    patrickf wrote:

Yes, the rim is less protected by the tyre... I never advise Archetype as a winter rim, when visibility is reduced and chances of hitting potholes are higher. Ambrosio 19 mm rims are a lot better for that... otherwise, bigger tyre

Will the archetype work with 25mm tires better or at least for winter commuting?[/quote]
    I'm currently running 25mm Durano Plus tyres on my Archetypes. They're on a different bike until I build up the CR1 though so I have plenty of clearance.

The tyres fit great and it looks like they have plenty of overlap on the rim.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I think to have the same protection a 19 mm rim gets from a 23 mm tyre you need to go to 27 for a 23 mm rim
  • Protection against what exactly. Kerbing? Do you lot often parallel park your bikes then :?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Protection against what exactly. Kerbing? Do you lot often parallel park your bikes then :?

Potholes... a rim fitted with a bigger tyre enjoys more protection and it's less likely to get dented.
  • Err you mean tyre pressure as that is what dictates the level of deflection from the sidewall
  • ugo.santalucia
    Err you mean tyre pressure as that is what dictates the level of deflection from the sidewall

No, I mean exactly what I just said. A wider rim or a narrow tyre are more likely to cause pothole damage to the side of your rim... low pressure relative to the tyre size will also increase the chances of "snake bite puncture" and consequent rim flattening.