De Rosa Merak 2013

2»

Comments

• Dizeee
    Dizeee Posts: 337
    Thanks for all replies. Managed to get out today and put them both next to each other with some careful balancing of glass tumblers. It is so awesome now having the choice of each of these each time I open my summerhouse door, however as good as the Bianchi is, it still feels quite agricultural compared to the Rosa :P

2w53itz.jpg

15dxqg8.jpg
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Dizeee wrote:
    I am intrigued about the school of thought about slamming stems and taking away spacers. Apparently I have loads on my Bianchi but when looking at other peoples bikes I have no more / less than anyone else.

I still don't find the hunched over stretched out position on a road bike comfortable for long periods of time, so my thoughts are that surely if it assists with comfort, they are worth having on? They certainly don't impede my performance, so I wonder why there seems such a strong feeling about spacers in general. If anything I think I need a shorted stem.

Aesthetics really, spacers look sh!t. A bike with a slammed stem and the steerer cut properly looks so much better, the 'pro' look, if you will.
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    doug5_10 wrote:
    Dizeee wrote:
    I am intrigued about the school of thought about slamming stems and taking away spacers. Apparently I have loads on my Bianchi but when looking at other peoples bikes I have no more / less than anyone else.

I still don't find the hunched over stretched out position on a road bike comfortable for long periods of time, so my thoughts are that surely if it assists with comfort, they are worth having on? They certainly don't impede my performance, so I wonder why there seems such a strong feeling about spacers in general. If anything I think I need a shorted stem.

Aesthetics really, spacers look sh!t. A bike with a slammed stem and the steerer cut properly looks so much better, the 'pro' look, if you will.

Dizzee. You're in the right. Bikes are for riding and part of riding is being as comfortable as possible. Didn't see if you'd had a proper bike fit but worth doing if you haven't as they will assess how you ride, posture, type of riding et al. That'll tell you whether to lower the stem and if so by how much. By the way lovely bike. I'll be upgrading next year and I'll be hoping to keep things Italian.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • Dizeee
    Thanks, I did have a bike fit, one on my Bianchi last year and then one when I bought this bike, so the bikes measurements were tailored to my fit (alledgedly).

I have, since I have been riding road bikes, gone through intermittent bouts of lower back pain around the bottom of my spine / coccyx. I found this an issue last year when I first started, and it took some time of learning to stretch / adjust my seat before this settled down. It did occasionally re appear however and even now after around 30+ miles I can still get it.

I never had it initially on the Rosa but I did get it a couple of weeks ago after 40 miles, I am not sure however whether it is the Bianchi causing it and because I ride both bikes now if it is I would not now what starts it off.

Touch wood I have been ok now for a bit but I do need to stretch and even then I can get some discomfort. The only thing that cures it / relieves it is to stand up off the saddle and touch the stem with my hips - totally straighening out for as long as I can when not pedalling. Bizarre.
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    Therez one of these in the window of the bike shop in Byfleet. I sware it will cause a crash one day utterly beautiful bike. You are a lucky man
    Insert witty signature here
  • Dizeee
    Thats where I bought mine from, I ride with PMC on the weekends. I think the one they have in the window is the replacement for the one I bought off them, which was also in the window!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Great pictures...
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Dizeee wrote:
    Thanks, I did have a bike fit, one on my Bianchi last year and then one when I bought this bike, so the bikes measurements were tailored to my fit (alledgedly).

I have, since I have been riding road bikes, gone through intermittent bouts of lower back pain around the bottom of my spine / coccyx. I found this an issue last year when I first started, and it took some time of learning to stretch / adjust my seat before this settled down. It did occasionally re appear however and even now after around 30+ miles I can still get it.

I never had it initially on the Rosa but I did get it a couple of weeks ago after 40 miles, I am not sure however whether it is the Bianchi causing it and because I ride both bikes now if it is I would not now what starts it off.

Touch wood I have been ok now for a bit but I do need to stretch and even then I can get some discomfort. The only thing that cures it / relieves it is to stand up off the saddle and touch the stem with my hips - totally straighening out for as long as I can when not pedalling. Bizarre.

You can get that from not being stretched out enough. It seems counter-intuitive, but by having bars further away and lower and then adopting a strict thought of not letting your lower back curve up, you might well find that goes away. Worth a try. Keep your lower back straight, no slouching like lazily sitting in a chair... and no moving forward on the saddle so you can get closer to the bars that are now further away (and hence getting back into the curved lower back habit). ...think of it the same as sitting badly in an office chair, lower back problems come from that curved lower back lazy posture quite a lot.

Don't know if that will help you, but might be worth a try!
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    Dizeee wrote:
    Thats where I bought mine from, I ride with PMC on the weekends. I think the one they have in the window is the replacement for the one I bought off them, which was also in the window!

In which case my bike envy just crept up a notch. Not been in the shop since shortly after it opened as it would leave be bankrupt and/or single. I guess ill see you around if your local then.
    Insert witty signature here
  • Dizeee
    I would recommend a pop in, you would be amazed at their prices, very competetive and not what you would expect from the decor or exterior image of the place. They are very friendly if you just fancy a perusal. They also do Sunday morning rides open to all...
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Pure Motion Cycles is a quality bike shop with quality staff. Good as Sigma are, their size and success has taken away from the personal service aspect a little. PMC have filled this gap.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    will have to pop in as this De Rosa is beautiful. the new shop in Hersham are Orbea stockists too and will build up with campag so worth thinking about.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Bondurant wrote:
    Pure Motion Cycles is a quality bike shop with quality staff. Good as Sigma are, their size and success has taken away from the personal service aspect a little. PMC have filled this gap.

mmm.
  • Dizeee
    mmm? Does this mean you agree / disagree re PMC...?
  • Hi dizzie

Just wanted to pick your brains about your new de rosa. I too LOVE these bikes and am on the edge of take the plunge and ordering one. But I just wanted to talk to someone who actually owns one. I've been riding an alu framed cube so I'm guessing this will feel awesome in comparison. Currently I'm riding average distances of 30-40 miles. I'm 6ft3 , is the merak a comfortable bike to ride ? Also is it fast ? I have read some reviews claiming its not. Secondly how do you get one with the campagnolo set up? And lastly did you for for the bike with the fulcrum 3s or 5s as cant work out if spending the little extra for the 3s is worth it

I'm sorry to fire off so many questions , I'm a little nervous as it the most i will have spent on a bike and want to get it right.

Kind regards

Sam
  • Dizeee
    PM Sent.