Shimano m475 rear hub help

souljacker
souljacker Posts: 54
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hopefully someone can help me with this as I'm getting nowhere.

I've stripped out the hub and replaced everything from a new hub but I've been having trouble tightening up the cones, once I do get them tightened up ( should it be really hard to get a cone spanner in to do the final tightenin?) and put the wheel back on the bike the rotor is now catching on the brake disc mounting bracket.

It's as if the wheel is too far over to that side, I've checked everything is in the right place, washers, spacers etc but I can't get the rotor to sit off the bracket.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shift the hub along the axle a bit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • As in reduce/ increase the amount of axle sticking out?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes, how badly is it catching? A tiny amount?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yeah it's just scraping on the bottom of the bracket,the wheel turns but this is restricting it so its not moving freely, no matter how much I adjust it either way its still catching
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    On the front hub, you unscrewed and screwed in the lock nut from the non-disc side; and on the rear hub from the disc side, right?

Double-check the thickness of the washers again.
  • Sorry, it's just the rear hub I'm having trouble with, should have mentioned that.

I've had both sets of locknuts out, but I've tightened the drive side first, then the disc side, looking at the shimano website I may have the washers the wrong way around :oops:

Also, according to this diagram there are two seal rings each side ( no:7)I presume these are the ones that are part of the cone ? Should these have movement in them as mine have

http://www.shimano.com/media/techdocs/c ... 728374.pdf

Edit: all washers are in right way, problem is when everything is tight and there is no sideways movement in the wheel it catches, if I back off the lock nut and cone slightly it will miss the rotor but then I have movement in the wheel, it's as if there is a washer missing which will give me that slight adjustment I need , moving the axle on the hub makes no difference