Back in the Saddle after 12+ years

manticore
manticore Posts: 10
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Hi there just thought id introduce myself
Am 53 years old live in Feltham West London, used to go cycling every weekend but things got in the way, wife, child, work etc.
Wife had taken my old road bike to the local charity shop a she had better things to do with the shed.

was standing in front of the mirror in the bathroom and suddenly thought what the bloody hell is that, its my stomach (to many Leffe beers) and thought right that's it, that's disgusting got to do something about that.

So have treated myself to a Ribble Sportive 7005 with the full Shimano Tiagra group set (39/52 chain rings) carbon forks, Deda bars and stem, ITM seat post, Selle X1 saddle. Added a pair of Shimano spd SL R540 clipless pedals

Bike arrived on Friday, (still trying to explain to the wife) put it together on the Saturday (front wheel, seat post and pedals) Also delivered on Saturday from Wiggle was a nice pair of DHB road shoes, small saddle bag, Topeak multitool, CO2 pump and spare cartridges, water bottle and cage.
Also got from Sports direct 2 x cycling tops (2 for £15 reduced from £25 each), a pair of bib shorts and some sports socks.
Looking at the cycling stuff they have in Lidl's next Thursday (arm and leg warmers, bib shorts, socks) i'm on a very strict budget
Have just been out on my first ride on the bike and can only say WOW really, really pleased. Went from Feltham to Bushy Park, then to Kingston, up into Richmond Park, 2 twice round Richmond Park the hill at the Kingston gate I thought was going to kill me but made it up there twice, wow my legs hurt going up that then out through Richmond Hill gate down through Ham back through Kingston down to Busy Park (Hampton Court Gate) back through park to Hampton then back to Feltham. Only just managed to wipe the smile off my face.

That's my 1st ride in 12+ years, top speed was 33 mph coming down the hill to the Robin Hood Gate, total distance travelled 37.6 miles, time taken 1hr 36 minutes (slow I know but will get better) Average was 14.6 mph, stopped at Sigma sport Kingston to have a nose at Helmets (yes I forgot to get one) and also in Bushy Park for a cup of tea.

Thoroughly enjoyed myself even with all the people in Richmond Park overtaking me. Now got to look at getting a fitness regime in place. Was thinking of joining a cycling club but bit worried won't be able to keep up, any suggestions very welcome.

Regards
Keith.

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Welcome to the forum.
    Well done on the first ride that's a good distance. Just keep going and when YOU think you're ready have a look at joining a club if you fancy it.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    good for you mate, keep it up and those pounds (& beers) will fall off.

enjoy .....
  • arranj
    arranj Posts: 66
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure the wife will come round eventually!

I am struggling with time and distance though...an hour and a half for 37.6 miles at 14.6 mph average?

I averaged 14.9mph on Sunday and 23.6m took me an hour and half?
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    I think he might mean 2 hr 30 min - otherwise he should go and get sponsored!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    manticore wrote:
    Also delivered on Saturday from Wiggle was a nice pair of DHB road shoes, small saddle bag, Topeak multitool, CO2 pump and spare cartridges, water bottle and cage.
    BiB. Buy CO2 carts from on-line leisure suppliers in boxes of 30 delivered to your door for about 20 quid. That's a lifetime's supply at about 66p a pop compared to the 2/3 in a blister pack for £6.99 in some shops or some of Wiggle's own prices (but excluding the 7 for £7.19 offer currently on there, before anyone flags it up). Having a boxful means you don't worry about using them or giving one to someone who needs one out on a ride, as opposed to just having a couple left.
  • A few weeks with a couple of efforts like that and start looking at the local clubs for newbie rides, KWCC and Twickenham are both well established clubs nearish to you, sooner you get into it the better :D

I'm in KWCC and we have all sorts trying the newbies run on a Sunday, if you can do three laps of RP without dying you should be ok a newbie run, ours averages c15mph but you'll pick up a bit on your average being in a group. Make sure you can change a puncture, eat cake and ride in a straight line.
  • djm501 wrote:
    I think he might mean 2 hr 30 min - otherwise he should go and get sponsored!
    Hi All yes sorry about that, yes did mean 2hrs 30. Not to sure about the cycle comp I've got, It's Crivit from Lidl's only £5.99. Think I'll go and have a look in Sigma sport on Sunday for something a bit better while in there trying on helmets.

Regards
    Keith.