Help needed with changing a inner tube

boryc
boryc Posts: 7
edited August 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi, Im very much a newbie so please be gentle with me as I need some advice.

Its only a small query in my eyes but I haven't got a clue. My GF has just started riding a bike to keep fit. She had a puncture on the weekend so yep you guessed it I have the job of fixing it!

I've removed the wheel and the inner tube but the sizes are confusing me. It states I need a 26 x 1.5/1.75 replacement on the wheel; does it have to be that size, or can it be anything around it. I've been looking online and you can buy ones for example that are 26 x 1.1/1.5 or 26 x 1.75/2.2 ...... so is the 1.5/1.75 a guide or does it have to be exactly what its asking for....

sorry if I sound dumb as this is all new to be so any help is gratefully received :D

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    If you go to halfords, they only have two sizes - and one of these will fit. I cant remember the ranges however

Your range is 1.5/1.75, so check that this range fits in one of the two halfords range.
  • Different shops do different sizes. Match the one closest to your tyre size, doesn't matter if its slightly above or below.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just get close, it will be fine. If you can't find exact, go for the smaller one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    cooldad wrote:
    Just get close, it will be fine. If you can't find exact, go for the smaller one.

...why the smaller?
  • cooldad
    No point in having more rubber than you need, plus a bigger one may have a bigger diameter than the tyre.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    I suppose it's never going to be so much smaller that it runs the risk of popping is it.
  • cooldad
    Nope you can blow them up like balloons. Makes them a bit thinner but with my old eyes I can't see tiney things anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • boryc
    boryc Posts: 7
    Thanks for the responses people! :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    or you could fix the puncture. Inner tubes can last for an astonishing amount of time, with some running repairs.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    with my old eyes I can't see tiney things anyway.
    I can see that being messy!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    The Rookie wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    with my old eyes I can't see tiny things anyway.
    I can see that being messy!
    Why? I've never felt the urge to look at your obvious.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools