where can I get a carbon frame bargain

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
I am looking to build a bike over winter, a bit at a time buying parts as deals/bargains come along.
Now to start I need a frame.At present I have a carbon and alu defy.These are sportive/relaxed geometry and I don,t want another one the same.
I would like to build a bike with a racier riding position, so where can I get a carbon or quality alu frame cheap as possible.Also my defy bikes are size medium,what size would I need for a racey type frame.
cheers.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    quality....cheap.....have you thought this through? 'cheap' doesn't really give much indication of budget, either.
  • elderone
    Imposter wrote:
    quality....cheap.....have you thought this through? 'cheap' doesn't really give much indication of budget, either.
    Yes I have,though wording may be misleading.For cheap read bargain if you like.Basically I have seen posts where people have got a quality frame , be it a last year or end of season one at a price where you think "that,s cheap,what a bargain".
    Basically I wanted some pointers where to search for the bargains.As for price.lets say Chinese carbon frame price as a starter.
  • Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I think what you want to do is actually quite difficult. I am not sure how you are defining cheap either. As the above post suggests, Planet x and ribble are the obvious UK sources for frames that represent entry carbon fibre. They have very good reputations and represent very good value. The whole Chinese carbon thing is another route you can take. I am considering it myself but it is not significantly cheaper that buying from P-x or Ribble. An FM029 frame custom painted in a colour of your choice comes in at $590 delivered but that does not include customs tax.

Occasionally you do get a real bargain such as the Scott Cr1 SL frames which many on here snaffled a few months ago. £500 for a frame that retailed closer to £1500 and has a good reputation. Planet x also cleared some older frames last year at a daft price for a short period. Generally retail in the UK is recovering so there arent the bargains or sales that there were a year ago. Plus cycling is more popular. You might see a bit more old stock clearing post Eurobike but I wouldn't hold your breath.

The best bargains are nearly always 2nd hand but obviously with a carbon fibre bike frames you are taking a degree of risk in doing this.
  • Pryally
    Pryally Posts: 132
    could sell you a 54cm CAAD frame/forks/ headset if you are interested. Brilliant frame just a little to big for me.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There's plenty of good carbon frames available for sale on ebay/Alibaba from China - there's a huge thread on Roadbike Review and one on here - search/google is your friend. Avoid the knock-off copies, look at the likes of Carbon Sports and FlyXii amongst others.
    Most frames leave the factory in China for $300-500 - the difference you pay here is down to a paintjob, marketing bull and profit.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Friend in Yorkshire (ahem) told me that Planet X frames are just Chinese imports painted up. Your best just buying the same things via Flyxii or Carbon Zone on ebay.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Friend in Yorkshire (ahem) told me that Planet X frames are just Chinese imports painted up. Your best just buying the same things via Flyxii or Carbon Zone on ebay.

Wow!! Really!! :shock:

:roll: You could substitute "Planet X" with many other makes...... most CF frames are made in the far east. :wink:
  • Monty Dog
    Planet-X and Ribble amongst many others buy some of their frames from XPA in Xiamen - it says as such on their delivery cartons - Carbon Zone sells some models of XPA frames on ebay.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Friend in Yorkshire (ahem) told me that Planet X frames are just Chinese imports painted up. Your best just buying the same things via Flyxii or Carbon Zone on ebay.

Depends doesn't it. Fine if it comes off but if there is a fault with the frame (not uncommon) what happens next? Your return post price to China is going to wipe out your saving over buying from PX/Ribble and never mind the hassle factor.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • elderone
    Cheers for replies chaps.looks like I need to do more research.
    Calpol,the scott was the one I was referring to from this forum.That,s the kind of thing I,m looking for.
    Pryally,cheers but I think that's to big for me as wel.

From the replies I will source in the uk as Chinese ones could be a nightmare.
    thanks again.
  • Monty Dog
    I've sourced a number of frames directly from China, including custom builds. Yes, there's a small chance that you may end up with a problem, but I can recount plenty of instances where reputable 'big brand' makers failed to stand by their warranties, so don't see the need to pay a premium for something that's not worth the paper it's written on.
  • Calpol
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I've sourced a number of frames directly from China, including custom builds. Yes, there's a small chance that you may end up with a problem, but I can recount plenty of instances where reputable 'big brand' makers failed to stand by their warranties, so don't see the need to pay a premium for something that's not worth the paper it's written on.
    good balance from this. I have researched the Chinese frame thing quite a bit and I have qualms now about buying direct from them. Companies like Hongfu, Dengfu have built very good reputations. If you stick with them you are likely to get decent customer service. They also seem to be standing behind their products in genuine warranty situations. Planet X or Ribble are fine if you want one of their branded bikes. As complete bikes they are hard to beat for value but to buy a frame on its own is not such a compelling proposition. Anyway I reckon I am going to order one from Dengfu. I'll let you know how I get on.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scott-CR1-Pro ... 2c71b0b8e3

If its the right size....be quick.
    Cheers, Stu
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    planet-x clearance corner. get some bargains in there. mate got some carbon clinchers for £299 from £499.
  • elderone
    Calpol wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:
    good balance from this. I have researched the Chinese frame thing quite a bit and I have qualms now about buying direct from them. Companies like Hongfu, Dengfu have built very good reputations. If you stick with them you are likely to get decent customer service. They also seem to be standing behind their products in genuine warranty situations. Planet X or Ribble are fine if you want one of their branded bikes. As complete bikes they are hard to beat for value but to buy a frame on its own is not such a compelling proposition. Anyway I reckon I am going to order one from Dengfu. I'll let you know how I get on.
    Cheers Monty,thats balanced it out a tad.will look onto dengfu.What customs charges did you pay?.

Calpol,let me know what you get from dengfu,may go there myself.
    Is denfu ebay or own website.
  • Calpol
    There are a few websites to visit if you wish to do your own further research

This is the 6th thread in a long series of posts
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bikes-frames-forks/chinese-carbon-thread-ebay-direct-version-6-0-a-272806.html

Build Pics
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bikes-frames-forks/chinese-carbon-picture-thread-255186.html

Another very good resource although the website is a bit slow
    http://www.velobuild.com/

I think I am going for an FM029. Am quite taken by this build and have asked Dengfu to colourmatch a brighter orange similar to Chavanel/Vinokourovs SL4s. This is what they came up with so far. I have edited to keep chainstays and fork inner black

FM029-YS740%20a.jpg

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101603
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    I bought a second hand Colnago Primavera frame/fork for £180, shopped around and got Campag Veloce/Centaur groupset for about £270 (buying parts individually wherever cheapest). Built it myself, great learning experience and now happy to fix most things on my bike (that's probably worth a few hundred quid in itself).

Wheels taken off my old bike. It's a stunning looking winter bike which most people assume cost a lot of money, it's actually one of the cheapest bikes on the club run! Weighs in around 8kg and handles beautifully.
  • Calpol
    GGBiker wrote:
    I bought a second hand Colnago Primavera frame/fork for £180, shopped around and got Campag Veloce/Centaur groupset for about £270 (buying parts individually wherever cheapest). Built it myself, great learning experience and now happy to fix most things on my bike (that's probably worth a few hundred quid in itself).

Wheels taken off my old bike. It's a stunning looking winter bike which most people assume cost a lot of money, it's actually one of the cheapest bikes on the club run! Weighs in around 8kg and handles beautifully.

Thats a find and a half. congrats. I have been looking for weeks now and not seen anything approaching that sort of value on Ebay or classified.