Oxo's Nukeproof Mega (Update 29/4/15) Gone coil!

oxocube1
oxocube1 Posts: 651
edited May 2015 in Your mountain bikes
***Latest update page 3***

I've been riding the Spesh for 18 months now, and had the 140s on it for the past 12. It's a great bike and I love riding it, but a medium frame for all 6'2" of me is just too small now and I'm starting to feel it on the longer rides.

I started looking for a new, large FS frame with bigger travel a few months back and wasn't desperate, so I would only get something if I really, really liked it. Then up popped this Nukeproof Mega frame on PB and I had to have it! Since it came out, I have really liked the look of the Mega 2012 frame and heard a lot of good things about it. So I bit the bullet and bought it back in June.

Unfortunately since then I have had my car breakdown (for the final time) and had to get a new one, and went to the US for 3 weeks for our Honeymoon. So now my bank account is a little empty and what I wanted to be made for the summer is now looking like it won't be built up until the winter. The only part I need is some 160mm Forks but I will have to save a little each month/sell some of my spare parts due to the lack of funds.

The idea is to have the Mega running 160/150mm travel for trail centres, trips to Scotland/Wales etc. Then up the travel to 120mm on my Haro HT for local riding and the occasional ride to work

Once I have some forks (ideally RS Lyriks), I will be selling the Spesh frame and Float 140s, then transferring everything else over to the Mega.

Here's what I have so far:

The Frame
IMG_1532_zps2fb2c151.jpg
IMG_1531_zpsc4516017.jpg
IMG_1530_zps3022fd23.jpg
IMG_1528_zpsd94a6ef5.jpg

2012 Nukeproof Generator Hubs that I got for a bargain price off eBay.
IMG_1524_zps03f591d7.jpg

Brand new set of Mavic EN521 rims courtesy of some CRC vouchers.
IMG_1533_zps27c80606.jpg
IMG_1534_zps015a2bf3.jpg

The spec will be as follows:

Frame: 2012 Nukeproof Mega AM Large
Forks: TBD
Shock: Rockshox Monarch RT3 150mm

Chainset: Shimano XT M770 Double 36/22t or Single 36t with chainguide
Gear Shifters: Shimano XT M770 3x9 spd
Front Mech: Shimano SLX M670 (if required)
Rear Mech: Shimano XT M772 Shadow 9spd
Cassette: Shimano HG-50 11-34
Chain: KMC X9
Pedals: Superstar Nano Tech

Brakes: Shimano XT M785 F+R
Handlebars: Funn Full On Riser Bar 750mm
Headset: Nukeproof Warhead Tapered
Grips: Superstar SupaGripa
Stem: Superstar Zenith AM 65mm
Seatpost: Superstar Layback Post
Seatpost Clamp: Superstar Simple QR
Saddle: Specialized Rival, Body Geometry

Hubs: Nukeproof Generator 12x135mm rear, 20mm front
Rims: Mavic EN521 F+R
Tyres: Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35 F+R
Rotors: Superstar Floating Rotors 185+160

Really hoping to have this built up before Christmas if funds will allow! And will update this post as progress continues.

Comments

• russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Watching this, I have always fancied mega, love to hear how it rides. Also how/if it climbs?
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Russyh wrote:
    Watching this, I have always fancied mega, love to hear how it rides. Also how/if it climbs?

+1

Torn between the Mega AM and TR
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Nice ride!

I love my mega! So much fun! It does climb very well for a 150mm bike!
  • conkers
    conkers Posts: 10
    I have a RS Domain fork for sale £150. It's 160-115 mm U-Turn coil with Mo-Co damper 1.5 steerer 20mm maxle. It's the same chassis as a Lyrik but with steel stantions so 500g heavier than an air lyrik. I had it on my Mega for a while so I have a NP 1.5 top cup and bearing to fit a Mega head tube and I also have a brake adaptor for a 180mm disc that I can throw in. I'm in Nuneaton so not too far from Leicester if you're interested.

If your looking for new I replaced the Domain with an X-fusion slant which has been a great fork. 34mm stantions so quite stiff even for DH tracks (as long you don't ride ride like Harry Heath) but light as well and a good price for this type of fork, the only downside for me is the lack of compression damping but having ridden it for a while now it hasn't been a problem.

I ride my Mega on everything from bimbling through fields and tow paths to DH tracks at Style cop FOD and even Bringewood where the last BDS round was held. It climbs quite well, I cleared a really steep techy climb the local XC lads use as a test. so if you have the legs and technique there isn't much that can stop it and it really is brilliant fun on swoopy jumpy stuff like Llandegla.
  • oxocube1
    conkers wrote:
    I have a RS Domain fork for sale £150. It's 160-115 mm U-Turn coil with Mo-Co damper 1.5 steerer 20mm maxle. It's the same chassis as a Lyrik but with steel stantions so 500g heavier than an air lyrik. I had it on my Mega for a while so I have a NP 1.5 top cup and bearing to fit a Mega head tube and I also have a brake adaptor for a 180mm disc that I can throw in. I'm in Nuneaton so not too far from Leicester if you're interested.

If your looking for new I replaced the Domain with an X-fusion slant which has been a great fork. 34mm stantions so quite stiff even for DH tracks (as long you don't ride ride like Harry Heath) but light as well and a good price for this type of fork, the only downside for me is the lack of compression damping but having ridden it for a while now it hasn't been a problem.

I ride my Mega on everything from bimbling through fields and tow paths to DH tracks at Style cop FOD and even Bringewood where the last BDS round was held. It climbs quite well, I cleared a really steep techy climb the local XC lads use as a test. so if you have the legs and technique there isn't much that can stop it and it really is brilliant fun on swoopy jumpy stuff like Llandegla.

Yea I have had a look at a lot of Domains as they are sold second hand quite often at really good prices. Ideally though they are a little too heavy for what i want. I'm not really being weight conscious with it as its a 160 bike but if it makes a big difference I will try and save here and there. I also don't really want U-turn/TALAS if i can avoid it but thanks for letting me know anyway!

It sounds like you use the bike in the exact way I intend to. Just a 'do everything' machine. I've never really done any FR or DH properly but I definitely want to get into it once I've gotten this built up. Stile Cop is not that far away so I would want to make trips there and my parents live in South Wales with Cwmcarn, and now Bike Park Wales, on the doorstep. I may have to sell the Spesh frame and forks before buying forks for this build to fund it. Only issue is I would be without a FS bike for a few weeks!

*AJ* wrote:
    Nice ride!

I love my mega! So much fun! It does climb very well for a 150mm bike!

Thanks! I've had a look a few times at your Mega thread and I really like the look of it. Mine won't be quite as high specced but I may chop and change things as I go! I'll be looking to go for a Single ring with a device on the front at some point and probably change over to Zee 10spd but that's looking a good few months down the line after its built!
  • *AJ*
    The older 9 speed saint stuff is quite cheap now! pretty sure CRC are doing the rear mech for about £60.

If you want 10 speed then the Zee stuff is just as good I think!

You'll enjoy the mega though if thats how you intend to use it! its a very playful bike! Mine does about 30 miles most weekends (before my injury), but also enjoys a session at the local jump/freeride/DH area.
  • So I've built up the rear wheel for the time being. I may have to re-build it with slightly shorter spokes though as the only ones I had available were a few mm too long and I'm pretty sure it will compromise the performance of the wheel/build. I'm going to get hold of the right size spokes for the front wheel before building it. Should have some by the end of week if all goes to plan!

IMG_1535_zps0fb1dc58.jpg
    IMG_1539_zps160bb746.jpg
    IMG_1538_zpscaa97c64.jpg
  • oxocube1 wrote:
    probably change over to Zee 10spd but that's looking a good few months down the line after its built!

If you're gonna change to 10sp in a few months why not just build it up 10sp from the get go? Will save you buying another cassette and chain when you do.

They are great frames though. Was gonna get one but the forks I had were 180 Domain's (318's) so a little to much for the Mega I figured. Then was gonna get a Titus EG as that would take the longer travel fork. Ended up getting this German beauty though...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12927265
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • oxocube1
    So it's been a busy few weeks as I've been working a lot and the wife and I finally moved into our own house. I managed to finish building the wheelset, which I am very happy with and they are a decent weight for an All mountain set. The hard work had paid off though as I was able to buy myself some forks for the Mega.

I went into work today to find a package waiting for me:

IMG_1604_zps4a992aff.jpg

I managed to get a set of 2011 Rockshox Lyrik R 160mm for a bargain price. Very happy with them and put them in the bike this evening just to see how they sit (I apologise for the shoddy phone pictures!):

IMG_1609_zps9dae63cc.jpg
    IMG_1610_zps4de7ac61.jpg
    IMG_1611_zps91a731a3.jpg

I would have preferred an RC model or even the RC2DH but money was still fairly tight, and these were too good to pass up on.
    Over the course of the week I'll be taking apart the Spesh, servicing the frame and forks ready for resale, and transferring the parts onto the Mega.

There are a couple of things i'm going to alter like the stem for a shorter one, get some black bars, and probably go 1x10 at some point but those changes will come in time. For the time being it's just swapping parts straight over.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    That's looks really good
  • oxocube1
    So I finally got the Mega built up a week or so ago and have done a couple of rides on it including a trip to Wales this past weekend where it was tried and tested at Cwmcarn and The Forest of Dean. And I've got to say it's absolutely awesome! It climbs just like my Spesh did due to the steep seat angle but has the descending capabilities of a freeride bike. It's also incredibly easy to get behind the saddle on steeper trails due to the short top tube and again the seat angle. It appears to be a perfect 'do it all' bike and am very pleased with it so far.

The Lyriks are set at 160mm and I'm running about 25% sag which was perfect for this weekends riding. I've also dropped the bashguard and now running a 1x9 setup with a chain device.

The only thing I would say is that I am in need of a dropper post. Before, I always snubbed the idea of having one but after riding this, I can certainly see the advantages/need for one!

1379788_10152136660996747_1343301745_n.jpg

As I've only ever ridden bikes with QR front and rear, I'd never before experienced the ride with bolt through axles but after riding the 12mm rear and 20mm front on this, I can certainly feel the advantages. The bike just feels more solid generally and there's noticeably more traction under the wheels in high speed corners. Whether it's actually the bike or just in my head, but i certainly feel like it's already making me a better rider.

Finished Spec as follows:

Forks: Rockshox Lyrik R 2011
    Shock: Rockshox Monarch RT3 150mm

Chainset: Shimano XT M770 Single ring 36t
    Chain Device: Superstar Plasma
    Gear Shifter: Shimano XT M770 9 spd
    Rear Mech: Shimano XT M772 Shadow 9spd
    Cassette: Shimano HG-50 11-34
    Chain: KMC X9

Stem: Superstar Zenith AM 65mm
    Seatpost: Superstar Layback Post
    Seatpost Clamp: Superstar Simple QR

Rotors: Superstar Floating Rotors 185+160

Few bits still to to upgrade in the future. As stated I will be wanting a dropper post at some point, also I'll be on the hunt for a shorter and more beefy stem, and finally a short cage rear mech (which may possibly lead to going 10 speed).

Very happy with the bike overall though and will try and get some better pics up soon!
  • Ill be following this thread, Iv been wanting a mega for ages and reading this just makes me want one even more!! beautiful looking bike, you have done a fantastic job, Ill keep an eye out for you as i also live in Leicester ;) Keep up the good work !
  • oxocube1
    Laurence25 wrote:
    Ill be following this thread, Iv been wanting a mega for ages and reading this just makes me want one even more!! beautiful looking bike, you have done a fantastic job, Ill keep an eye out for you as i also live in Leicester ;) Keep up the good work !

Thanks very much and I'm glad it can be of some inspiration to you!

Yea i usually ride on Croft hill in South Lecicester, but it certainly does not warrant the use of this bike there (or anywhere in Leicester really!). I'll be looking to get over to Stile Cop at Cannock a couple of times a month hopefully as it looks fairly good from what I've seen in videos and isn't too far away.

And I'll do the same for you, your green Crush should be fairly obvious even from a distance! :)
  • *AJ*
    Stole cop is well worth a visit! I keep meaning to take my mega down there to see how it handles the rough stuff! I haven't been since I swapped the patriot for the mega! I've only taken mine on a few local red routes, mainly XC/trials. Still love it though.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Very nice looking Mega!

Always preferred the 11/12 models to the new hydroformed ones. In fact, I just got a 2012 Mega in raw today, so will post up a build thread later today ;)

What dropper post and stem did you have in mind when you next upgrade?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • oxocube1
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Very nice looking Mega!

Always preferred the 11/12 models to the new hydroformed ones. In fact, I just got a 2012 Mega in raw today, so will post up a build thread later today ;)

What dropper post and stem did you have in mind when you next upgrade?

Ah nice, yea i will certainly take a look once it up on here!

I'm looking at getting a RS Reverb due to a friend who has one and rates it highly. And for a stem I was wanting something a little more 'FR like' in a 50mm/40mm. I can get a Thompson X4 in a 50mm for £40 or get a Truvativ Holzfeller in either 40mm or 50mm for half the price. I may have to suggest the X4 as a Christmas present from the wife!
  • *AJ*
    Both nice bits of kit, I have both on my Mega! The Renthal Duo is also a nice looking stem, but a bit more £££

The reverb (or any dropper for that matter) is one of those things that you think is purely a gimmick, until you own one... and then you wonder how on earth you managed without it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Very nice. Im seriously tempted to buy a mega.
    I had a set of Lyrik R forks, its actually not too expensive to add a mission control DH damper and makes a huge improvement. I think I paid around £70 for the damper and it takes no time to fit.
  • oxocube1
    Very nice. Im seriously tempted to buy a mega.
    I had a set of Lyrik R forks, its actually not too expensive to add a mission control DH damper and makes a huge improvement. I think I paid around £70 for the damper and it takes no time to fit.

You should do it. The bike rides super well. And thats certainly worth noting about the damper upgrade. Where did you get yours from? the US? As that the only place I can find it for that price!
  • oxocube1
    So I've eventually gotten round to getting a nice, new, shiny stem. I went for a Thomson X4 in 50mm. I was able to get hold of one for a bargain price so went for it. Just had it in the post today and will be fitting it to the Mega along with the 10spd drivetrain I have currently on order with CRC courtesy of some vouchers from Christmas!

Here's the stem, it's a beautiful piece of machinery artwork!

D12CA597-EF32-423C-9F28-859F5DB0C74B_zpssz7pp1kn.jpg
    B4A075A9-774F-40B1-AC90-3D3AD9E7CCEE_zps4r16xefi.jpg

Stay tuned for the new drivetrain and updated pics...
  • oxocube1
    So as promised, and after a stock issue at CRC, I've obtained my 10spd drivetrain for the Mega. I've gone for:

- Shimano XT 10spd Cassette 11-36
    - Shimano Zee Shadow + Rear Mech 32-36t
    - Shimano XT M780 i-spec 10spd Shifter
    - KMC X10-73 10spd Chain

I'll be fitting everything before work tomorrow and hopefully get out on it at the weekend. I should definitely benefit from gaining the 1:1 gear ratio in the lowest gear as I occasionally struggle with particularly steep hills! Here's some pics of the parts, and I'll soon have some up of the complete bike:

IMG_1709_zps99fb375b.jpg
    IMG_1708_zpsa17f93e6.jpg
    IMG_1707_zps3cde9c50.jpg
  • *AJ*
    Nice!

I'm really impressed with the zee stuff! Does your shifter have the roller bearings in like the saint one? Supposed to help with the drag of the clutch, not that I've noticed it really with the zee shifter but apparently it's an improvement.
  • oxocube1
    Not sure tbh. But I love the feel of the XT shifters compared to the Deore and SLX. They have immediate engagement when you press the thumb lever and it feels more 'crisp'. I don't know if that is what you are referring to?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Awesome! Bet you can't wait to get it set up :)

I have the same stuff except Saint shifter, very happy so far.

You keeping the XT chainring, or going Narrow Wide?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • oxocube1
    I'll be keeping the same chainring for the time being. I may upgrade to a Narrow Wide and drop the device at some point in the future but I think I will get a dropper before that!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Lookng good...
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Which bit of this beautiful beast did I buy? :)
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • oxocube1
    Which bit of this beautiful beast did I buy? :)

Haha! you enabled me to spend no money whatsoever on the shifter, cassette, and mech! I had a £100 crc voucher from Christmas and your £10 off coupon meant i went under £110 total so thanks again! :)
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Really glad my voucher went on one of the bikes on my Lust List!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • oxocube1
    It's been a few months since I posted here so i figured I'd show some updates. Since the last time I posted, I've added the Thomson stem, 10 speed drivetrain, 180mm Formula rotors front and rear, and the most recent addition of an RS Reverb. Here's the updated spec sheet:

Forks: Rockshox Lyrik R 2011
    Shock: Rockshox Monarch RT3

Chainset: Shimano XT M770 Single ring 36t
    Chain Device: Superstar Plasma
    Gear Shifter: Shimano XT M780 10 spd
    Rear Mech: Shimano Zee Shadow+ 10 spd
    Cassette: Shimano XT 10 spd 11-36
    Chain: KMC X10-73

Stem: Thomson X4 50mm
    Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb 420mm, 125mm drop.

Rotors: Formula Rotors 185mm F+R

It's been to Cannock, Cwmcarn, BPW and local trails now and has been exceptional throughout. BPW was so good that I'm booked up for another 2 days in August and cain't wait! I don't know how I managed to ride without a dropper until now though. I've literally only done one ride on it and am already converted! I'll be going over to Stile Cop on Friday to try out my new fullface and goggles. It's been a while since the Mega has had a proper ride so really looking forward to it.
    Hopefully at some point I will get some close up and decent photos but just this one form the other day for the time being:

IMG_1790_zpsa26336c6.jpg