Cosmic Carbon vs Cosmic Elite

Il Biondo
Il Biondo Posts: 14
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
New in here :oops: Hope you guys can give me some advice..

I have access to some very good prices on Mavic wheels but i'm not not sure which model will be the best buy for me!!

Cosmic Carbon SL og Cosmic Elite??

Me: 87-88 kilograms, riding Wilier Izoard XP Campa, new in biking, 95% of the time i ride on normal roads, not so hilly just a few bumps. Will be used for normal training, a few "races" and in small triathlon competitions (4-18-4 or more)..

Let me know what you think and why :)

Cheers

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    The Cosmic Carbone and Cosmic Elite are very different wheels, aren't they? Certainly in terms of price they are. I wouldn't necessarily limit yourself to these two just because they have similar sounding names. Ksyriums are a good all-round wheel.
  • Unimpressed with the ksyriums elites yes they are solid and ok on climbs but for speed on the flats very sluggish and dull the bike down.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I think the Ksyrium SLS is a great climbing wheelset. I am not so sure whether I would have them if I lived in the flatlands though, probably go for something more aero.
  • Thx..

But the CC SL are tough enough for a guy my size (weight)?? And are they durable enough if i ride 2-4 times a week??

Will i get a much better aero effect from the CC than the Elite??
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    Hi
    I have a pair of cosmic elites on a scottfoil.I'm around 74KG and they are in good condition after 2000 miles(They did need trueing after a shortcut home on canal towpath,cost 15 quid with no drama.)They accelerate quickly and climb well.With tyres and QR they weigh 2836grams so not the lightest and only very basic aero propertys.Do you definately need aero? I'm about to get a set of ksyrium sls which will shave off half a kilo.
  • I have talked to different "real" riders and they recommend aero.

I live in a not so hilly area and there is almost always either head- og tailwind when i ride..

+ i like the look of it :oops:
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Il Biondo wrote:
    Thx..

But the CC SL are tough enough for a guy my size (weight)?? And are they durable enough if i ride 2-4 times a week??

Will i get a much better aero effect from the CC than the Elite??
    Yes, yes and yes. But they are heavy and expensive.
  • Kubotai
    Kubotai Posts: 20
    I have the Cosmic Carbone SL high on my list of factory wheels I would consider as an upgrade for my bike. They are solid wheels, the aero performance is good (an older design, but good nonetheless) and the weight is perfectly normal for deep wheels. If you want the aero advantage and like the looks (they certainly look good) then they are a great choice and really not that expensive. I never really cared for the Elite because they wouldn't feel like all that much of an upgrade. They're good wheels, but budget-friendly.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,175
    Just in case you guys won the lottery, worth a peep athe C40

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... u-buy-them
    left the forum March 2023
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039

Been a while since I looked at the blog. Its really had some content added and well worth spending a bit of time on. I have linked it on my club Facebook page as it will provide some very valuable advice to recurring questions. Nice one Paolo. :wink:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,175
    Calpol wrote:

Been a while since I looked at the blog. Its really had some content added and well worth spending a bit of time on. I have linked it on my club Facebook page as it will provide some very valuable advice to recurring questions. Nice one Paolo. :wink:

Yes, despite my adversion, I get more and more factory wheels to look at. To be honest, it is interesting to see what money can buy you and I can't help but notice how much effort goes into making these things look desirable. The C40 rim is a step ahead of the competition though...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Just in case you guys won the lottery, worth a peep athe C40

Crazy price :shock: but they do look nice :!: