Kitchen cabinets/design

thistle_
thistle_ Posts: 7,146
The forum seems to have been swamped with kitchen related posts this weekend.

Can you not set up a rule that if someone's first post has 'kitchen' in the title then they get blocked?

Stick it in the disclaimer when users sign up, and any genuine user who wants to post a picture of their kitchen as their first post would get in touch to get their account unlocked.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I wish we could! Measures so far they have found ways around, will be something for the developers to look into.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Before deleting the spam kitchen posts hopefully the mods/admin are banning the IP address from which the post was made. If the IP addresses are similar then a wildcard IP ban could work ie 888,888,***,*** The danger with doing the wildcard ban is you might exclude genuine members and if the spam posters have a dynamic IP address the wildcard ban won't work.
    Another option is for new members to have their first post approved by mods/admin which will stop the Kitchen people signing up using numerous aliases.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    We do ban the user and IP but it is a completely pointless exercise, as they clearly have a way round it, using a virtually infinite number of IPs.
    In fact even when we don't ban them, the same user name does not get used for further spam, as they are clever and assume we ban them, regardless of whether we do it or not.
    We are fighting high tech spammers with medieval weapons... just to move a topic to the spam section and ban the user it takes me 3 minutes of going forth and back... it is a royal PITA and I really hope someone does something about it
    left the forum March 2023
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Do you not have a spam filter which picks up key words (like 'kitchen' in this instance) and refers posts with embedded html links into a moderation queue?

There is also an plug-in which links into the 'stopforumspam.com' website which can check new account registrations against a list of known spammer IPs and domains before allowing them to register. Might be worth a look. http://www.stopforumspam.com/contributions