La Vuelta, Stage 3, *Spoilers*

RonB
RonB Posts: 3,984
edited August 2013 in Pro race
vuelta_stage3_profile.png

vuelta_stage3_last5.png

A bit like yesterday, the final climb doesn't look very steep but it will be unlikely that the sprinters will be contending for the win today. If the are then we might see Meersman, Gilbert or EBH.

It will also be interesting to see if Samuel Sanchez and Henao put down some sort of statement to show that their GC hopes aren't already over.

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Henau has gone from 12/1 to a best odds of 125/1 for the GC, Sanchez you can now get 300/1!

EBH looking poor too, been dropped badly in each stage so far.

Interesting thing is the bookies also seem to have completely written off Ten Dam, he is 9/1 for a top 10 finish which looks pretty good to me.

Wonder if Pinot may be in with a shout today.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    What a terrible stage profile that is.

Why not just make it a sprint stage? The last 10km of a sprint stage a hell of lot more thrilling (even with the poor show up of decent sprinters but you can't hardly blame them for staying home..) than 3km of slight uphill. If they wanted this kind of finish then let them race over some hills before it and make it somewhat unpredictable and classic-esque.

It is what it is. A 10 minutes race - just like 70% of last year's Vuelta and it's a worrying direction for the sport - especially since it was hailed as being 'fantastic' by most. No wonder they stay away from the 'Tour way of doing it' and show half of the stages in full..
  • Apparently Henao's lost time yesterday was a result of the fact that "he forgot to eat". How does a rider and his team allow that to happen!

So far today there has been a tail wind up the climb to the finish, so maybe someone like Meersman could be a good shout. OPQS doing some work at the head of the peloton too today.
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    It´s expected strong lateral wind in the last kms....
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    Where can I find a link to the live coverage, chaps? Anyone got a link to an English language feed? (I'm in France though).

Thanks.
  • thomthom
    Crash opens up the race. Mollema in the 2nd group. Pay back time for Valverde and Movistar?..
  • thomthom
    Aaaaand cut to the front of the peloton and Movistar is now pacing..
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    this is just a pantomime race, i don't even consider it a grand tour
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Anyone make sense of who is in which group?
  • Pross
    Nibs, JRod and Valv obviously front group, I'm guessing Uran is in the 2nd group as there are a few Sky riders there and Zandio just dropped back.
  • Pross
    And it looks like front 2 groups have joined, third group virtually back.
  • Was that a mechanical for Mollema? I presume it was.

Belkin having to drop back to pull him back to the peloton since he'd fallen almost 30s off.
  • thomthom
    Horner takes it.

Well, that's a shame..
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    13 posts for a GT stage? Not a lot of interest in the Vuelta this year then.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    There doesn't seem to be. I'm enjoying it more than the first few days of the Tour tbh.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Stage 3 Results
    USA 1 HORNER, Christopher (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD) 4:30:18
    ESP 2 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR TEAM) + 3
    ESP 3 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, Joaquin (KATUSHA)
    COL 4 URAN URAN, Rigoberto (SKY PROCYCLING)
    IRL 5 MARTIN, Daniel (GARMIN SHARP)
    NED 6 MOLLEMA, Bauke (BELKIN PRO CYCLING)

General Classification after Stage 3
    USA 1 HORNER, Christopher (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD) 9:37:40
    ITA 2 NIBALI, Vincenzo (ASTANA PRO TEAM) + 8
    IRL 3 ROCHE, Nicolas (SAXO-TINKOFF) + 14
    ESP 4 ZUBELDIA AGIRRE, Haimar (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD) + 16
    CRO 5 KISERLOVSKI, Robert (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD) + 23
    ESP 6 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR TEAM) + 24
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    Nibali can suffer a lot tomorrow if Purito attacks in Ezaro with Moreno... In my opinion is the most dangerous stage for the italian.
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    ThomThom wrote:
    Horner takes it.

Well, that's a shame..

Why's that then?

Worst thing Horner ever did was rightly sh!t on Hincapies parade ... Horner was never paid the 'Lance Bonus' and has kids to support ... Of course he was gonna make a point when it affects his future as an American rider ...
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Was that a mechanical for Mollema? I presume it was.

I liked the mechanic pushing the bike without Mollema on it - "What the fuck are you doing?!"
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    RonB wrote:
    Stage 3 Results
    USA 1 HORNER, Christopher (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD) 4:30:18
    ESP 2 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR TEAM) + 3
    ESP 3 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, Joaquin (KATUSHA)
    COL 4 URAN URAN, Rigoberto (SKY PROCYCLING)
    IRL 5 MARTIN, Daniel (GARMIN SHARP)
    NED 6 MOLLEMA, Bauke (BELKIN PRO CYCLING)

General Classification after Stage 3
    USA 1 HORNER, Christopher (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD) 9:37:40
    ITA 2 NIBALI, Vincenzo (ASTANA PRO TEAM) + 8
    IRL 3 ROCHE, Nicolas (SAXO-TINKOFF) + 14
    ESP 4 ZUBELDIA AGIRRE, Haimar (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD) + 16
    CRO 5 KISERLOVSKI, Robert (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD) + 23
    ESP 6 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR TEAM) + 24

Horner first on GC? Yak! :(
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    TMR wrote:
    Horner first on GC? Yak! :(
    It's a hot potato that nobody wants to hold yet. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    All my moral fibre revolts at this.

but at least he's my PTP GC pick :)

Strava is not Zen.
  • Is there a reason why Chris Horner seems to be disliked by a few people? Is he a past doper? He doesn't look great on a bike, granted, but is that his worst sin against cycling? Just curious.

I thought it was an impressive win, certainly for a man of his age.

DD.
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    As much as I read up on this stage, I had to miss watching it live. Since that will probably happen a few other times again, would anyone know a website that has decent highlight videos please?
  • New bike for Rodriguez

pic390378633_670.jpg

tumblr_mjhbb9serc1rxnd64o1_500.jpg
  • 2n_2993795.jpg

Not sure about Santaromita's helmet.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    www.dotcycling.com
  • emadden wrote:

And put all of those quotes into the context of his name being redacted from Leipheimer's statement to USADA - according to Leipheimer, Horner allegedly told him in 08 that he'd taken EPO before the 05 Tour de Suisse
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I thought it was an impressive win, certainly for a man of his age.
    It's being reported he's the oldest-ever stage winner in a GT. Apparently the previous 'record-holder' was Pino Cerami who won a TdF stage in 1963. He was also 41 years old, but 41 years and only 95 days, whereas yesterday Horner was 41 years and 307 days.

Horner's also the oldest rider to have ever worn the leader's jersey in a GT. Previous 'record-holder' was Andrea Noè who was 38 years old when he took the leader jersey in the 2007 Giro.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I think maybe it's the camera work (lots of shots from leading motorbike) but the racing looks qiute hectic and exciting. I thought yesterdays stage was good. Crosswinds, splits, crashes and a frantic climb to the finish. Great scenary too.