Removing Crankset - Stuck

aidso
aidso Posts: 493
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I am trying to replace the triple chainset with a single and so far I have the nuts off - yeah me, right? I have a Shimano Octalink Spline fitting and am wondering if I need another tool to get the cranks to release? I can see inside the cranks and there doesnt look like anything else to unscrew so am wondering what is holding them. I expected the non drive-side arm to just drop-off when I undid the bolt but no joy...
I want to keep the Bottom Bracket in the bike and just take off the cranks..any ideas?
Thanks,

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Yes you need a crank extractor (or crank puller).

It screws into the crank, then you screw in the 'plunger' and it pushes the crank off the spindle.

You can get them from Halfords quite cheaply. I've seen them for just under £5 on some websites.

Make sure you get one that works with hollow axles - often these have a cap you put over the end of the plunger (otherwise the plunger just goes through the hollow axle!).
  • aidso
    If I want to put the cranks back on again, do I use the same tool, or is the tension achieved by hand?
  • thistle_
    Here's a cheap one:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-ROA ... 53eebe9128 (check with seller if it can do hollow axles)

Here's the Halfords (cheap) one:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_242558
  • thistle_
    To put it back on, push it on by hand then just do up the bolts you took out. These bolts pull it back onto the axle tight.

There are loads of videos on the internet showing how to remove and replace cranks if you're unsure.
  • aidso
    Thanks man. Been watching a few videos and they jump...like here's a tool and then all of a sudden the crankset is off in their hand.
    I'm going to have enough tools at this rate, to rival a small bike shop. Grrrr :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read 'Read this first' below. How to do everything, including what tools you need (obviously they don't have to be Parktools which can be expensive).
    Easy to follow and more accurate and up to date than most random Youtube videos, which could have been made by any idiot,
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • aidso
    I'm squishing pennies like I'm the Royal Mint :). I have my Crank Extractor in and locked up tight and then I spin the arm but it doesn't bite - so I read you have to stick coins in. I can get one in comfortably but 2 is too thick. They just fold and the crank doesn't move :(.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It should have a little magnetic cup for Octolink.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If there is no extra cup to sit over the tip, you have the wrong tool.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • You need to use that little round piece that is screwed in to the end of the handle where the rubber grip ends.

http://washford.scene7.com/is/image/Was ... $PDP_MAIN$
  • aidso
    Cheers dude, that wee bit did the trick. Managed to get the drive-side off, but my ham-fistedness threaded the other side...doh!