Electric or Mechanical on Titanium

AndyK2479
AndyK2479 Posts: 75
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Has anyone had a Ti bike from either Enigma or Van Nicholas with either Ultegra Di2 or Campy EPS.
For my N+1 bike, the Enigma Echo has gone to the very top of the list, I'm hoping to go and have a test ride in the next week or two and then go down to the Enigma workshop later on.

On speaking to Jim at Enigma they can drill into a Ti frame to route the wires, I was just wondering if anyone has it done and how neat it looks.

I must admit I like the thought of (virtually) hassle free electric shifting but I like the look of a nice clean mechanical groupset, I'm thinking Campy Record or Dura Ace 9000 which is in my budget.

FWIW Jim has said they have had a few problems with EPS and Di2 reliability issues.

Andy

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,287
    Not to speak about possible shorts on a metal frame... :mrgreen:
    left the forum March 2023
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've got an Enigma, and had it future proofed when built. Ie any internal holes between tubes were opened up / drilled in the correct place for wires to pass through. Should I go down the route of electronic shifting at some point, the guys at Enigma can then drill the external holes and remove the cable stops. Easy job.

That said, I have no intention to swap to electronic shifting for a few years as I think it still looks a little ugly (although Campag is getting there).
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • AndyK2479 wrote:
    FWIW Jim has said they have had a few problems with EPS and Di2 reliability issues.

Best go with Van Nics then. I'd have a look at the Astraeus & Aquilo.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • AndyK2479 wrote:

Best go with Van Nics then. I'd have a look at the Astraeus & Aquilo.

I'm not sure its the frames causing the problems, I'm still open minded about VN or Enigma, waiting till the slightly more aesthetically pleasing 11 speed Ultegra Di2 becomes available.