Ribble 525.

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited August 2013 in Commuting chat
In My recent thread about frames for commuting I asked for suggestions on frames for commuting.

I think I am starting to settle on a Ribble 525. I cant see it being any heavier than my Focus and that is heavy. and it takes full fitted guards and a rack, I also plan on doing some touring next year.

I will be going for just the frame, fork and hadset as I have been obtaining parts that were going to go on the Peugeot and a freind is donating his wrecked Bianchi for the rest.

Any thoughts? or should i just buy it as a whole bike and flog the sora groupset and wheels and replace it with the 105 that I have?

And how easy is it to cut a steerer?
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Looks like a nice frame. I would have got one if it took tyres larger than a 23. Perhaps something with deeper clearance would be more suitable, especially if you plan to tour. Also, if you get a whole bike, why not ride it with Sora? The new 9 speed is decent and has the same gear shift as the rest of the higher shimano range. Being 9 gears means a chunkier chain that may withstand commuting a little better.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,356
    When I cut my steerer I clamped a stem onto it and then put an old spacer up against it and used that as a guide and cut it with a hacksaw. I read that it's a good idea to have a slim spacer above the stem as that ensures the stem is clamping evenly along it's full height.
    Sorry, don't know anything about that frame.
  • I too looked at the 525 but the clearance was not enough for me.

Planet X have just released their Kaffenback 2 steel frame which takes mudguards, rack and 35mm tyres and for added benefit it also takes disc brakes. This (to me) is the ultimate commuting/tourer but we are all different aren't we?
  • rubertoe
    I'm sure that i could squeze some 25's on there - Ribble are probably being cautious.

I have Disc equiped CX bike, I want to move away from Discs. Too much effort to maintain
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Mark where you want the steerer cut and get the LBS to do it, they have the right tools and guides.
  • rubertoe
    Damn you planet X,

Was just about to pull the trigger on the Ribble - get an e-mail from PX telling me they are now doing a full Kaffenback 2 tiagra.

Which colour for the Kaffenback?

Black or coffee and Tea?

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Black is always good but the brown is interesting. Difficult to think of the finishing kit. Brown saddle and tape would be too much but I don't think black would go either!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    menthel wrote:
    Black is always good but the brown is interesting. Difficult to think of the finishing kit. Brown saddle and tape would be too much but I don't think black would go either!

That's easy, you'd have cream with your coffee.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rubertoe
    I like the coffee and cream idea, but as this will be the all year round commuter, black is the only way...

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    The thing that made the biggest difference to me when winter commuting was being able to fit larger tyres, although I only went to 25c I could easily go 28c on the ribble winter 7005.

In fact it made such a difference to the rough lane ride feel I frequently got off to check for a flat :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • The px looks like a great deal, but the geometry is really odd, they have tiny head tubes and fairly stretched top tube...
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • The px looks like a great deal, but the geometry is really odd, they have tiny head tubes and fairly stretched top tube...

The head tube appears to be to small but it is because there is so much tyre clearance the headtube starts higher. Also the headset is fully external so that adds another 25mm to the size. My Kaff 2 does not have low bars despite what the geometry appears to say.
  • Ah ok, I see. I might have to add it back onto my winter/tourer list then!
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013