Struggling with speed

SE43
SE43 Posts: 44
edited August 2013 in MTB beginners
I never know how fast to go, I either go to fast that I nearly fall off, or too slow that it isn't enjoyable. What should I do to fix this?
B'TWIN Triban 5a

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fix what?
    Go slower or go faster?
    Either pedal more or less, or brake more or less.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • SE43
    SE43 Posts: 44
    cooldad wrote:
    Fix what?
    Go slower or go faster?
    Either pedal more or less, or brake more or less.

Sounds silly, but it's just that I pedal more, too fast, brake more, too slow is pretty much what it is, wanted advice on how to balance the 2.
    B'TWIN Triban 5a
  • Look ahead to read the trail .
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Learn how to do things (corner, manually, descend) faster so you don't need to brakes as much.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ride more. It's called practice.
    Go as fast as you want.
    The worst that can happen is you die, but then you won't worry about it anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Find someone better than you to follow
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:
    The worst that can happen is you die, but then you won't worry about it anyway.

Aye, and you can only kill yerself once, so it's not really owt to stress about.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It all comes with experience. Get out and ride lots. It will soon make sense
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Each time you ride you will improve(or you should anyway) - better timed and more skilfull braking, carrying speed thro' corners, getting the feel for where your weight should be under different trail conditions.
    It really is time on the bike, do some googling, read a good book, think your ride through afterwards. What worked what didn't. But don't let it worry you. Repeat.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Just go fast,not committing enough into jumps is a bad idea anyway,plus whats the point in falling off when you are going slow
  • http://www.imbikemag.com/mobile/

You may find this useful , online biking magazine , free , many useful articles including video takes you through a lot . I have certainly found it useful .