Fat Bike

shipley
shipley Posts: 549
edited August 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Just thought I'd pop this up. It's different, causes a stir wherever it goes and uniquely for a Fat Bike has a triple chainset. It weighs 37lbs :shock: - but rolls really well on a track.

Looking forward to the winter now - I may change the tyres for some 'Floaters'

I've never seen another Fat Bike in the flesh :D

I love it !

9569656009_041d0387c2_b.jpg

9569656957_1554e803e0_b.jpg

Comments

• Dammit!

Every time I see a fat bike I want one. But I just KNOW I'd never use it.

Looks good :)
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Dammit!

Every time I see a fat bike I want one. But I just KNOW I'd never use it.

Looks good :)

+1

Love to try one but I just don't know when I'd choose it over my "normal" bike

Still, nice bike, you could crush cars with that!
  • Very nice B-) have you tried any xc?
    Still can't wheelie :(
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would like to try one but I wouldn't buy one
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I've ridden a fat bike and have to say it was brilliant fun, wouldn't want it as my regular ride though. Would maybe consider one for long distance bike packing stuff because why not, weight doesn't matter so much when you're carrying a shitload of kit and there's no suspension to worry about. As I don't really do much of that stuff then I can't justify one.

That looks a lovely specimen you've got there though, enjoy it.
  • Viewed your bike several times..i feel a new purchase in order.
    Still can't wheelie :(
  • shipley
    I'm a roadie at heart but when the winter hits I get bored on the turbo so use my Specialized Enduro for weekend rides. We have some great tracks in Sussex including a disused railway line which goes to the coast.

I saw a Fat Bike for the first time a few years ago and have always wanted one. I saw this one being sold by bikeseven.co.uk and decided to go for it. I've only had time to do some flat trail rides on it so far but plan on adding my uber powerful Cree T6 LEDs to it and doing some long distance rides on it when the bad weather hits.

It's a very different ride, the suspension is in the tyres if you know what I mean, riding uphill on Tarmac is its weakness but it rolls really well on flat tracks.

I will give it a proper test over the coming weeks and if traction becomes a problem will replace the tyres with some 'floaters' to give it more grip.

The most surprising part of riding it is that everyone stops you to ask what it is as no one (including me) has ever seen one around here.

So, unusually for a roadie, I'm hoping for snow this winter :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    One of the regulars in my club has a full fat, another 2 have fatty fronts matched to 29x2.4 rears (and both of those are singles speed and one is a Jones just to stack up all the cliches!), I've ridden the full fat, amazing steamroller feeling, but yes, not sure I'd have one unless I had at least 3 other serious MTBs!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Does it bounce when you pedal hard, like undamped suspension does? I've occasionally wondered if fat bikes do that . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, no noticeable bounce at all on the one I tried.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • shipley
    Nope, no bounce, although apparently in snow, ice and sand it's best to reduce the air pressure in the tyres to get more grip and I suspect that will introduce some bounce !