La Vuelta, Stage 2, *Spoilers*

RonB
RonB Posts: 3,984
edited August 2013 in Pro race
2_perfil.png

vuelta_stage2_Alto+do+Monte+da+Groba..png

That first climb might be insignificant for the GC, but with the likelihood that the stage winner will take the overall, it might be an opportunity for one of the less prominent teams such as Caja Rural, NetApp & Vancansoleil-DCM to go for the KOM jersey. The stage finish is an 11km ascent up to Alto do Monte da Groba.

PTP favourites Purito, Valverde and LL Sanchez; but Sky might surprise a few with Henao or Cataldo going for an early stage win.

Live coverage starts on Eurosport at 1500 BST. Please check out http://www.steephill.tv/vuelta-a-espana/#live for updates on the others and live streaming video links.

Comments

• I reckon Basso and the Cannondale guys will have a good go today too, could do with bouncing back strong from the poor TTT
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I'm interested to see how Betancur goes after the illness someone mentioned yesterday. I love him as a rider, like Quintana he is exciting.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Not a very difficult climb is it. Reckon a fast guy like Tiralongo could do something.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Breakaway of 3; Alex Rasmussen, Greg Henderson and Francisco Llorente of Caja Rural at 13 minutes
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    Is it not Aramandia of Caja Rural? I'm sure that's what ES said earlier and I've been cheering him on since as he's in my fantasy team...
  • Crampeur
    jam1e wrote:
    Is it not Aramandia of Caja Rural? I'm sure that's what ES said earlier and I've been cheering him on since as he's in my fantasy team...
    His full name is Francisco Javier Aramendia Llorente, its the same guy but I went for the wrong surname...
  • jam1e
    Ah that makes sense, either way if he gets some Sprint/KOTM points for me he can call himself what he wants!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Sharon perhaps
  • Crampeur
    Gap down to 4.50 and falling rapidly with 20km to go.
  • Crampeur
    Now 2.20 as the peloton touches 60+ kph
  • Peloton are really getting a move on and the remains of the gap is being demolished.

Almost to the foot of the climb to the finish now.
  • Crampeur
    Break caught
  • Crampeur
    Amets Txurruka attacks
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    S Sanchez out the back door, sums up the carrots.
  • Crampeur
    So is Henao...
  • Anonymous
    Heano as well.
  • Damn, Henao got dropped
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Henao gone too
  • Crampeur
    Konig goes for it
  • Crampeur
    Moreno, Roche, Pozzovivo and Konig all together in front
  • Crampeur
    Roche takes it, Moreno 2nd, Pozzovivo 3rd
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Nico! Very nice.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Movistar no where, LOL

Happy for Roche to take that win

Early days so not expecting long rangers but Konig first to show some balls. The WT teams should educate themselves on him as I bet they say the strip, thought 'chancer' and let the gap get too big
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jam1e
    Field promotion for Uran?
  • So Nibs in red after day 2?
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    I have to admit: when Moreno went, I didn't give him much chance. Then when Roche went, I thought: what an idiot. What a powerhouse. Good rider, well done!

Also: Anton? Sammy Sanchez? Henao? Not sure what to make of that.
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    edited August 2013
    jam1e wrote:
    Field promotion for Uran?

has to be I guess if Sky actually want to compete. From what I can see on the Vuelta site Henao's still not listed and even if he's in the next group of riders to be processed he's going to be like 2mins down on the day at best.

e: 2:41 down.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    If you thought the leader's battle in the tour was boring.....
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574

Eh, wut?
  • Anonymous
    ThomThom wrote:

Eh, wut?

I see exactly what Rick is saying, but Rick you forget: The Tour was only boring because a Sky rider leading it.