That didn't take long

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited August 2013 in Pro race
One man down before it's even started. Well done Theo!

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Sub optimal health conditions... Does that mean he's a bit poorly?
  • euphemistically not fit to race!
  • Movement for Credible Cycling rules, apparently. Use of synthetic corticosteroids depresses natural production of cortisone, so when you stop taking the tablets, your cortisone levels drop, sometimes dangerously low. If your doctor prescribes a course of steroids s/he will sometimes gradually reduce the dose for that reason.

Doesn't mean Bos was using corticosteroids of course (whether illicit or with a TUE), there are plenty of medical conditions that could affect his levels.
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    This is the problem with the MPCC. The only time we hear about them is when someone falls foul of their rules.

Bos has probably done anything wrong here, he may just be under the weather. Even if he has used cortisone, I believe out of competition it is not banned if not injected (I may be wrong there). But due to these rules he gets a black mark against his name - something people can refer to with a nudge and a wink.

The MPCC could be very useful as a lobby group, but they are compromising themselves with their rules, which are intended as a claim to the moral high ground, but mostly serve as petard from which to hoist themselves. You can have a higher moral code without recourse to rules. Either buy into a philosophy and a cause or don't. You shouldn't need to be tested.

However, ASO threw a spanner in the works saying MPCC members would get priority for invites and wildcards which meant that teams joined out of necessity not conviction, effectively rendering them meaningless.

The MPCC needs a full rethink - it could be useful but I can see why some teams don't join in for legitimate reasons. And sympathies to Bos - he was a good bet to win a stage.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Well with a reported reading of 108 compared to an average of 600 amongst other riders, there is clearly something amiss
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,001
    Joelsim wrote:
    Well with a reported reading of 108 compared to an average of 600 amongst other riders, there is clearly something amiss

What are the units here? Average values are not very helpful and the 'normal' morning plasma range is about 4 fold. Normal range for morning (when tests are usually made) free plasma cortisol levels are roughly 200-700 nmol/L (70-250 ng/ml) - [normal range values vary according to the population you look at and confidence intervals]. 108 clearly is quite low, but quite so far as you suggest.

There was a study published in 2001 that followed a team at the Vuelta (presumably a Spanish pro team, because the authors are Spanish, who didn't feel worried about having lots of tests). Average morning levels at the start were around 220ng/ml, falling to 140 ng/ml by the end of week 3.

Still, the most likely explanation is too much cortisone in the last few weeks (which is permitted out of competition) resulting in suppressed naturual cortisol. This is a risk to his health but would not enhance his performance now, but cortisone would have allowed him to continue training through injury.

Edit: anyone know where the UCI limits are listed?
    Edit again:
    Here:http://www.uci.ch/includes/asp/getTarget.asp?type=FILE&id=NzY5OTU
    CORTISOL
     In the event of a plasmatic cortisol level < 50 ng/ml (<140 nmol/l), and the runner
    does not justify a corticostéroïde treatment, repeat the examination at 08.00 am,
    in the 3 days following the reception of the result. If the runner has received a
    corticostéroïde treatment, the examination will be repeated in the 7 days following
    the reception of the result. The attitude adopted will be decided by the team
    doctor.