fizik saddle - arione or aliante?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm going to try a new saddle soon as mine is getting on for 3 years old and is causing me some discomfort.

I'm settled on a Fizik as I rode on one last year on a hire bike and had no problems at all. The only difficulty I have is I'm not sure which model it was. I've had a good look at their site and I think it is one of either the arione or the aliante.

I'm about 78kg, 6ft 2 and not particularly flexible (I think this makes me a "bull" in Fizik's own terminology). I'm looking for one to use on long distance rides - so logically the aliante fits the bill.

Am I about to make a big mistake though??

Comments

• 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    No one can possibly have any idea what best for you.
    If you've been on the fizik website you'll see the arione is not for 'bulls' so wtf with considering one of those?
    What fizik saddle was on the hire bike? Can you find out?
  • i cant stress enough you find a decent LBS and try a few different saddles out.. its well worth it.. i ended up with an arione but thats just me you could be different
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    You are going to be one or the other, myself the Aliante, definitely not the Arione, always had the Aliante and is suits MY ar*e, and don't believe their marketing BS regarding bulls, chameleons and snakes, complete rubbish.

Flexibility is not an issue with saddles. What suits your bum is. It's as simple as that.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have Ariones and an Aliante - the Aliante is more forgiving due to the flexible shell. The Arione is quite firm but the large surface area helps to spread the load and is probably more suited to riders who are well acclimitised to riding with a firm saddle - I've ridden 100 miles offroad on a CX bike with one, so you do get used to it.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rodgers73
    I can't access a LBS due to working hours and commuting needs etc so I guess its a case of suck it and see.

Aliante may be the way forward as its badged as the one for longer distance riders so that would be the logical choice but reality isn't always as you'd expect!
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Taking a punt here, the Arione is far an away their most popular saddle and alot of bikes have them as OEM - so probable that a hire bike would have one also. Ariane is alot narrower than an aliante and more rounded.
    Agree that this flexibility stuff is nonsense, its what suits your backside and crotch area.
  • speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    what was the bike you hired...was it a standard build/off the peg complete bike or a custom, if the former you can see what the bike comes with as standard.
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • Alitogata
    Alitogata Posts: 148
    Whatever was the saddle, the thing is that the bike that you build will probably not have exaclty the same geometry with the bike that you hired. So you have to test both Arione and Aliante in order to find out which of these, fits better and is more comfortable for you, on your own bike. :)

ETA:.... if you end up, that one of these two,is comfortable on your own bike. Perhaps you need a completely different type of saddle.
  • I've tried both, there's probably some technical lingo about bulls, giraffes and stuff but for me the aliante is an excellent distance saddle - feel like you've ridden a bike after 200 miles but not like you need to visit the hospital. Arione... was a bit like sitting on a house brick.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I've got an Arione R3 on test at the moment. I'm not really taking a liking to it comfort wise so will be changing it for another Fizik test saddle.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    So if you're unsure about the benefits of each why not split the difference and try the Antares?

If the price of the Antares is a factor I would suggest the Pave ... I have one on my BadBoy and it is very much a slightly padded Arione so again somewhere between your two options ... It's a bit heavier and you won't score any bike tart points but at £40 it's a reasonable option ...
  • rodgers73
    I've tried both, there's probably some technical lingo about bulls, giraffes and stuff but for me the aliante is an excellent distance saddle - feel like you've ridden a bike after 200 miles but not like you need to visit the hospital. Arione... was a bit like sitting on a house brick.

Thanks for that - is it a bog standard aliante or a aliante versus?
  • It was the standard aliante, all pinch of salt really - I know people who ride the Arione and find it a good perch - fizik dealers usually have some brightly coloured test saddles, would be worth getting a couple on loan for a week and see what suits, they should be able to post them out for you
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    I run the Antares, but agree with the "try before you buy" advice above.

Worth noting that £40 will get you any of the above saddles off eBay - if you don't mind which colour.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • rodgers73
    Will try and get to LBS next Sat and see if they do a trial arrangement. They're listed as stockists...