La Vuelta, Stage 1 TTT, *Spoiler*

doug5_10
doug5_10 Posts: 465
edited August 2013 in Pro race
Everybody a bit nonplussed by this so far that this hasn't been started yet? Not fancying the grip on the glass start ramp!
Edinburgh Revolution Curve
http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Well I've already had two glasses of wine, while preparing dinner for guests - who are late I may add - don't expect me to either know what the hell is going on or to be watching it once my guests arrive.

Oh look teams travelling on boats, I've see that somewhere before...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Too busy a Saturday for many to post I expect.

Great time from NetApp. Top 3 possibility. Or the win?
  • depends if OPQS can hold it together - Martin is shelling his own team-mates out the back very early on.
  • Turfle
    Tony Martin beats NetApp by 19 in the end.
  • doug5_10
    OPQS, sorry, Tony Martin 19 secs faster than NetApp Endura
  • Theo Bos not allowed to start due to low cortisol levels?
  • doug5_10
    Damn, beaten to the punchline! Notice that Belkin still haven't even got rid of all their Rabobank bits, brake calipers on those Giants were still orange & blue. Have also noticed riders wearing Blanco coloured helmets in lesser races for a few months.
  • doug5_10
    Damn, beaten to the punchline! Notice that Belkin still haven't even got rid of all their Rabobank bits, brake calipers on those Giants were still orange & blue. Have also noticed riders wearing Blanco coloured helmets in lesser races for a few months.
  • Saxo go second
  • Turfle
    If anyone, just one more time, mentions Cannondale having ridden the course twice today I'm going to strangle someone else.
  • sportvan
    sportvan Posts: 105
    Edvald Bossan-Hagan dropped
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    Cancallara goes two seconds faster than Tony Martin.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited August 2013
    Lots of chat about Katusha & JRod struggling but still come in with a reasonable time.
  • RonB
    edited August 2013
    Astana looking very strong - still have all 8 riders and first at the split.

Edit - Astana win it by 10". Brajkovič In the red jersey tomorrow?
  • Turfle
    They look very strong. It's not going to be easy for them to lose the jersey at any point over the next 3 weeks.
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    Pretty exciting starting order / climax for a TTT. Delighted to see Spartacus seemingly back in shape.

Here's Martin at the finish line:
    BSc757xIYAEvJhx.jpg
  • RonB
    Final standings...

1 Astana 29:59
    2 Radioshack Leopard + 10
    3 Omega PHARMA - Quick-Step + 16
    4 Sky + 22
    5 Movistar + 29
    6 Saxo Bank Tinkoff + 32
    7 Netapp Endura + 35
    8 BMC Racing + 36
    9 Orica Greenedge + 45
    10 Belkin + 49
    11 Lampre + 56
    12 Katusha + 59
    13 Lotto Belisol + 1:14
    14 Euskaltel Euskadi + 1:14
    15 Vacansoleil + 1:18
    16 FDJ.fr + 1:25
    17 Cannondale + 1:26
    18 Caja Rural + 1:38
    19 Garmin Sharp + 1:41
    20 AG2R La Mondiale + 1:41
    21 Argos Shimano + 1:53
    22 Cofidis, Solutions Credits + 1:55
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    Is there anyone in pro cycling who compares to Fabian Cancellara's Imperious & God-Like style on the bike?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Is there anyone in pro cycling who compares to Fabian Cancellara's Imperious & God-Like style on the bike?

Do I detect a crush?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    To be honest this could be the best grand tour for a while, there are bound to be loads of good mountain cracks!

I'm really excited (albeit less so about a TTTTTTTTTT)
  • chrispee44 wrote:
    Theo Bos not allowed to start due to low cortisol levels?

Not quite sure what to make of that. There are a number of conditions that could cause low cortisol, some quite serious - I hope he's ok. I can also think of a reason why it might be seen as suspicious, and I'm surprised not to hear more about that from certain quarters.

But then, he's not a Sky rider.
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • ocdupalais
    Joelsim wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Do I detect a crush?

If by that you mean "a comprehensive appreciation of a supreme athlete in a study of sublime power transfer and technique - that may at times lead to a bit of a chub-on", then yes, I'll hold my unoccupied hand up and say "guilty as charged"!
    And those dreamy brown legs...!
  • ocdupalais
    ... But back to today's stage...
    There were a lot of renowned TT-ers dropped today: can we assume that the tactic for several teams was to sacrifice them early on, or was this some quirk of the conditions on the stage (read Bajkovic's comments on CN)?
    Also, two notable dropees, I thought: Betancur and De Gendt.. 2 GC-ers, I thought!?
  • A huge shock for me was Andy Fenn - step up to the big boys league and get dropped by your mates in a discipline that you are made for.

Something strange going down here
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    OCDuPalais wrote:

On a TT-bike Zabriskie is by far the one with the best style.
    On regular it's Vasil Kiryienka.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    Also, two notable dropees, I thought: Betancur and De Gendt.. 2 GC-ers, I thought!?

Betancur has apparently been struggling with illness recently so didn't exactly get good prep coming into this.
  • ocdupalais
    ThomThom wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

On a TT-bike Zabriskie is by far the one with the best style.
    On regular it's Vasil Kiryienka.

Dave Z? ...Really!?! Always thought he looked hunched and a bit tense: hence his curious musculature...
    Inclined to agree about Kiryienka... Although still doesn't quite represent the harnessing of other-Worldly powers like FC for me.
  • ocdupalais

Betancur has apparently been struggling with illness recently so didn't exactly get good prep coming into this.

That's a pity. Did I hear correct that he's been training for Vuelta at home in Colombia?
    Perhaps he's over-done it in an attempt to emulate Quintana's success in the Tour...?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    A huge shock for me was Andy Fenn - step up to the big boys league and get dropped by your mates in a discipline that you are made for.

Something strange going down here
    It's just modern tactics - burning some of your matches early. It's not like Fenn is going to trouble the GC.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    ... But back to today's stage...
    ... Also, two notable dropees, I thought: Betancur and De Gendt.. 2 GC-ers, I thought!?
    De Gendt wasn’t suggested for even a top 20 placing in any pre-Vuelta article I read. I suspect his GC podium placing at the 2012 Giro and a couple of his impressive stage victories (I’m thinking of his 2011 Tour of Suisse one and his Stelvio Giro one) falsely give the impression that, together with his generally okay TT-ing, he’s more a GC contender than in reality he actually is.

Two riders whom I did see rated in pre-Vuelta articles as good enough for a top 10/top 20 GC placing, and who were dropped by their own teams yesterday, were Anton and Intxausti. I think Anton may be also over-rated but I was rather hoping to see Intxausti up there in the GC, like he was in the Giro. But he's already 2-27 back, so more than Betancur.