very slight play in headset

mogulkila
mogulkila Posts: 44
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
my boxxer forks seem to have slight play in the bottom part of the headset ,i've not had the the bike that long ..not sure if its always been there ,surely thats not normal ..can any one help ?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have you tried tightening it a bit?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • of coarse
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Did you undo the top crown bolts as well as the stem bolts before tightening? But... Are you sure there's actually play in the headset and it's not just the forks moving slightly into their travel?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Well it's either loose, the bearings are dead, or something is missing.

Assuming you know how to adjust it, take it to bits and have a look.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • i've checked all bolts on crown etc and even checked whether it was the forks moving slightly but thats not the case
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Checking them doesn't ehlp, you have to loosen them before adjusting the bearing preload and then tighten them back up, if you don't loosen them you achieve nothing as I suspect you've just shown!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • All the tips you have suggested I have already done . There's nothing for it I'm gonna have to strip it down and see what's going on !!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Adjust it correctly and even a fairly knackered headset will have no play, so make sure you know how to adjust it before going further.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Will do ..thanks