Pain in right knee

GT Destroyer
GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
edited September 2013 in Training, fitness and health
I have developed a pain in my right knee - First came about last Saturday when I was riding, did a 56 miler and pushed for a set time for 4.4 miles, at miles 50-54.4. Had a couple of days off the bike and it disappeared, but has come back after tonight's ride, I rode 30 odd miles, and pushed like crazy for a good time on a time trial.

There is nothing visible to see compared to the left, the pain is on the right side of my kneecap, and immediately after tonight's ride, was extremely painful, only when I tried to bend my leg and put pressure on it at the same time.

Any ideas, or anyone had/have anything similar? - Its only in my right knee, the left is fine.

Comments

• I have developed a pain in my right knee - First came about last Saturday when I was riding, did a 56 miler and pushed for a set time for 4.4 miles, at miles 50-54.4. Had a couple of days off the bike and it disappeared, but has come back after tonight's ride, I rode 30 odd miles, and pushed like crazy for a good time on a time trial.

There is nothing visible to see compared to the left, the pain is on the right side of my kneecap, and immediately after tonight's ride, was extremely painful, only when I tried to bend my leg and put pressure on it at the same time.

Any ideas, or anyone had/have anything similar? - Its only in my right knee, the left is fine.

Whenever I've had knee pain on the bike, it's ALWAYS been down to cleat positioning.
  • pushed for a set time for 4.4 miles, at miles 50-54.4.

How hard did you push?

I rode 30 odd miles, and pushed like crazy for a good time on a time trial.

A 30 mile TT, at what pace?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • GT Destroyer
    pushed for a set time for 4.4 miles, at miles 50-54.4.

How hard did you push?

Very hard, but had the wind behind me so that helped - Averaged at 30.1 mph over the 4.4 miles.

I rode 30 odd miles, and pushed like crazy for a good time on a time trial.

A 30 mile TT, at what pace?

The TT was 10 miles, 30 miles was the total getting there n back. For the TT I manged 30.27 seconds, so just under 20 mph for the 10 miles, wind against me for the first 5 miles, that was hard.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I have had similar in both knees. Every time the solution was to make controlled changes to bike setup especially seat (height and forward/back) and, as mentioned above, cleat adjustment. Sometimes the difference between OK and hurt was just a few mm one way or another.

You can do this yourself or, if not already done, I'd suggest getting a bike fit from a good bike fitter who knows what they are doing. If you are doing TTs they should also be able to help with set-up for that too as your position, even on a road bike, will be different from normal riding. IMO a good bike fit is the single best investment of money anyone doing a lot of cycling can make.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • GT Destroyer
    bahzob wrote:
    I have had similar in both knees. Every time the solution was to make controlled changes to bike setup especially seat (height and forward/back) and, as mentioned above, cleat adjustment. Sometimes the difference between OK and hurt was just a few mm one way or another.

You can do this yourself or, if not already done, I'd suggest getting a bike fit from a good bike fitter who knows what they are doing. If you are doing TTs they should also be able to help with set-up for that too as your position, even on a road bike, will be different from normal riding. IMO a good bike fit is the single best investment of money anyone doing a lot of cycling can make.

I tell you what, is interesting you mentioned the seat adjustment. I went out today and got in 86 miles, but knew my knee would start playing up almost as soon as I started on the pedals, so took it very easy, scraped a 15mph average for the whole ride. I was trying to shift my weight around to see if it improved things and moving back on the saddle seemed to make it easier on my knee, but I don't know if it was just in my head! Also I am bowlegged, straight down from hip to knee, then from knee to feet, they curve right out, so I might be un-knowingly putting more pressure on the outside edge of my knee.

Is weird though how its only one knee, and that I had ridden hundreds of miles up to that point last Saturday, and not had this pain.

I will see if I can get properly fitted for it too, my inexperience with properly fitting on a road bike is massive, so will look to do that in the near future as well.
  • you may be dominate in one leg (my right leg for me) which is working harder than the other. You rode a long ride and your quads maybe fatigued and tight. Vastus Lateralis is a good place to start and maybe referring a bit of pain over the knee. Foam roller or a sporta massage is always good to 'heal' a tired body.

@imassageuk
  • well am pleased to say that I've got back in to it after a few days off, and although I haven't pushed it as hard as I did when the pain started, I have had no pain from it whatsoever, so I think it was a knock I took on it rather than anything to do with position on the bike etc.....(fingers crossed)
  • Sounds like patella ligament inflammation... I have it every now and then... 3 days rest normally sort it... avoid long hard rides and very steep long climbs if you can, otherwise see a physio, he might be able to help you.
    left the forum March 2023
  • out again today on a 60 miler, with some climbing, and no pains or aches at all, am 99% sure it was down to a knock I took on it whilst not riding