New rear wheel

Thenovice
Thenovice Posts: 11
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello, my first post here but i'm sure it wont be my last as i have a fair few questions to come.

Im looking for a new rear wheel for my 2010 specialized hardrock sport disc as i have buckled the rear wheel and rather than try and repair i think it is a good opportunity to upgrade.

Im not too concerned with the overall weight but it needs a fairly tough wheel as i weight about 95Kg so needs to stand up to a bit of abuse. Ideally want a quality hub so a rebuild would be an option in the future rather than a new wheel, good seals so i don't have to service them too regularly and have around £90 to spend.

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    how many speeds is the cassette?
    what's the axle? 135 x 12?

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/wheels-h ... -6989.html

this should do the job but it might not fit your bike
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You don't need anything like that on a Hardrock unless you weigh a few tons, about the same as the wheels do.
    Have a look on Merlin or Superstar.
    I weigh about the same and have wheels weighing half that with 24 spokes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Even light wheels can be incredibly strong if built properly. Don't get too hung up about super-heavy-duty wheels.
  • Its an 8 speed cassette with a 135 x 12 axle, forgot to mention that in my original post.

If there Halo Combat II's are a bit overkill, would you say the following would be a good option?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... -disc.html

(Perhaps upgrading to the XT hub? and EN321/EN521 rims?)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Thenovice wrote:
    Its an 8 speed cassette with a 135 x 12 axle, forgot to mention that in my original post.

If there Halo Combat II's are a bit overkill, would you say the following would be a good option?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... -disc.html

(Perhaps upgrading to the XT hub? and EN321/EN521 rims?)

The 317 is a narrow rim, now that may cause problems with some pinch flats, for a heavier rider (don't worry, I'm barely any lighter than you myself!), so yeah, I'd opt for maybe the 321, or preferably the 521 rim.
    As for hubs, it really doesn't make much difference. Most shimano hubs are incredibly similar.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Most shimano hubs are incredibly similar.

Deore and SLX have smaller axles and bearing cups/cones than XT
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • I was recently in a similar position. I ended up going for a Merlin built wheel of Deore hub on XM319 rim, I weigh similar and had buckled my wheel on my last couple of rides so went for DT Swiss plain gauge spokes (which on hindsight may have been a bit of overkill)

So far very happy with the wheel.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    My trusted wheelbuilder of many years once told me that straight gauge spokes aren't actually as strong. the butting process actually increases the strength of the spoke.
    He seemed to know his stuff, so I trust him.
  • Thanks for the replies so far, think i'm going to go with the EN521 rim on the XT hub, but would you say its worth upgrading the spokes or will the standard ACI S/S DB / DT Plain Gauge be fine?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    standard spokes will be fine. Just get whatever you're comfortable paying. Like I said, I've always been led to believe that double butted spokes are better in every way.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hardrocks do not have 12mm rear axles, are 10mm for quick release.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Thenovice wrote:
    Thanks for the replies so far, think i'm going to go with the EN521 rim on the XT hub, but would you say its worth upgrading the spokes or will the standard ACI S/S DB / DT Plain Gauge be fine?

I've just recently about a month ago bought a new rear wheel and got built a en521 rim with xt hub but do think its overkill for my riding or the original wheel was weak.

I phoned merlin cycles before ordering and asked them and they said the aci spokes would be fine, i ordered the black spokes to match.

There is a guide on merlins website under Handbuilt wheels which suggest dt plain gauge spokes for heavy duty am/dh wheel setup.

Will you be wanting to try tubeless in the future as you could get a stans ztr flow or crest wheel ?
  • Thanks supersonic, i have no idea why i said it was 12mm now. I knew it uses a standard quick release.

Im not too interested in trying tubeless at the moment, prefer to stick to what i know for the time being.

Thanks for the link to the hand built wheels guide, has cleared up a few things for me.
  • Have ordered the following, thanks guys.

Rear Hub XT 6-Bolt Disc - Quick Release
    Rim Mavic EN521 Black - Disc
    Spokes ACI S/S DB Black
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Should make a nice solid build, much lighter than original as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    Should make a nice solid build, much lighter than original as well.

yeah the rim is 540g according to mavic website which i think must be wrong, its more beefy wheel but i don't think it is heavy.

I might weight mine and compare it to the original wheel i replaced it with.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I reckon it will actually be heavier than the original.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
  • LeeJay
    LeeJay Posts: 25
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=501

I went for those on the 721 hub, and have felt a major increase and stiffness over my original bontrager wheels. Sure they're heavier, but im no spring chicken (120kg+). Gave them a good workout over the chase last sunday, and they held up really well.