Powertap or premium wheels

DarrenGTi
DarrenGTi Posts: 68
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all

Further to my posts about whether to go for a set of aero or climbing wheels it appears my budget will allow me to buy a second hand powertap of some description.

Now I gave up rugby last year as miss the competitiveness so would like to improve my cycling ability firstly against mates in sportives and Strava then maybe racing in the future.

My question is which will give a more noticeable boost to performance, lighter wheels or training with power? I did try training with HRM but ultimately lost interest.

All opinions welcome. Darren

Comments

• DarrenGTi wrote:
    I did try training with HRM but ultimately lost interest.

At a guess training with a PM will lead the same way.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Totally depends on your ambitions and how you'll use them.

Neither more expensive wheels or a powertap hub are going to give you any noticeable boost in performance just by sitting there.

If you couldn't get into using an HRM, then I'd suspect you wouldn't enjoy using a power meter. To get the best out of one, you have to look at the data and train specifically. Some people like that, others don't.

Light/ aero/ stiffer wheels will probably feel good, and may look nice too. Don't expect to go much (if any) faster though.

If your first priority is getting a performance boost and you want to spend some money to do so (i.e. something other than just training more), maybe look into a coach? I'm sure people on here can recommend a good one local to you. If you listen to what a coach tells you and train accordingly, you'll almost certainly see a jump in your ability.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    How about using the money for booking a week/weekend away in the alps next summer or a training camp in Majorca or something?

It'll give you something to focus on, something to enjoy and some happy memories. I have fond memories of my trip to the alps. I don't have particular fond memories of rides due to riding my powertap or Zipps etc...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Unless you understand how to interpret the data or are going to pay a coach to do it for you its probably not necceary. But if you've got the cash and you think it'll enhance your enjoyment of training go for it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    NapoleonD wrote:
    How about using the money for booking a week/weekend away in the alps next summer or a training camp in Majorca or something?

It'll give you something to focus on, something to enjoy and some happy memories. I have fond memories of my trip to the alps. I don't have particular fond memories of rides due to riding my powertap or Zipps etc...

+1
    left the forum March 2023
  • NapoleonD wrote:

+1

Sounds like sound advice guys. I don't necessarily have the money to burn, it would be better spent on my honeymoon (hopefully taking the bike to Italy then). I can train hard but I don't find it enjoyable training on my own and trying to beat a computer, so a PM probably wouldn't help! Joining a club would probably be the best bet for me then - more enjoyment and my cycling should progress just by being out with others who are better than me.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Joining a club is a great step into increased riding enjoyment! You find SOOO many new routes and friends :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    NapoleonD wrote:

Exactly. Get out and enjoy the scenery rather than spending time obsessing about statistics. That's why we took up cycling in the first place, right?