Selling out of eBay

bladeone
bladeone Posts: 94
edited October 2013 in The hub
I'm going to try and sell my carbon frame cube reaction GTC pro MTB.
I'm going to advertise on here first then try eBay as it does reach the masses, regarding ebays final value figure now 10%!! rather expensive.
I know it's against eBay rules but in my advert I'm going to try ask serious buyers to contact me direct and sell out if eBay. Has anyone done this or any tips similar to this. Thanks
YT Capra Pro Race
Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
Cube Reaction GTC Pro (sold)
Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    if an ebay seller insisted on selling direct, outside of ebay, I wouldn't touch it with a shi**y stick.
  • bladeone
    I wouldn't insist on it but I could make it slightly cheaper for us both, ive listed it anyway and see what happens.
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I bought my spesh big hit from ebay but agreed a price with the seller that was a hundred quid below his buy it now price, this saved him £75 in fees and me a hundred quid, win win for us both :)
  • bladeone
    That is what I was thinking!
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
  • hi

i buy and sell outside of ebay a lot, because like you have said the 10% final sellers fee is expensive.

i would edit your add & put something like "before bidding please contact me so i know you are a genuine bidder" and then under put " (this is due to non paying bidders and time wasters) "

this will cover you will ebay and they shouldn't remove your add, and any genuine person who contacts you, you can tell then you are open to a cash/paypal offer depends on if you want cash or paypal. but remember their is a paypal charge of about 3% for receiving payments.

as long as you cover your self by not selling to buyers who have very little feedback or bad feedback and of course dont sent it overseas. also if they want it posted dont do it on the cheap because its not worth it.

i have a feedback of 704 and ive been a memeber for years, and i have (0) Neutral & Negative feedback, its all 100% good so i must be doing something right. hope my bit of advise helps
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    because like you have said the 10% final sellers fee is expensive.

It's extortionate.
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    if an ebay seller insisted on selling direct, outside of ebay, I wouldn't touch it with a shi**y stick.

you view bike, pay money. who cares what the method of advertising is?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    paul_mck wrote:

It just puts me in mind of dodgy goings on straight away.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Plus you lose the Ebay and Paypal protection. Which as a buyer is excellent. And which I have used quite frequently with dodgy sellers.
    And you are getting a potential marketplace of the whole world. A bargain in my opinion.

But there again, I don't mug grannies neither.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul_mck wrote:

It just puts me in mind of dodgy goings on straight away.

so you wont be buying it then, never mind :)
  • cooldad wrote:
    Plus you lose the Ebay and Paypal protection. Which as a buyer is excellent. And which I have used quite frequently with dodgy sellers.
    And you are getting a potential marketplace of the whole world. A bargain in my opinion.

But there again, I don't mug grannies neither.

well for a start like you said its excellent for buyer protection, ebay just takes the piss with sellers because for a start they are 99% always on the buyers side, if it wasn't for sellers and ebay taking their 10% + 3% paypal charge their would be no ebay.

but their is people out their who will spoil it for the rest of us good sellers/buyers :evil:

you can buy and sell great things on ebay and get loads of good bargains

""But there again, I don't mug grannies neither"" dont you ? :P :mrgreen:

good luck with your sale and i hope it all goes well for you. keep us updated :wink:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You risk your advert being pulled if it is reported, and you getting a black mark. Then you being banned.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    their is people out their

Three typos in 5 words, new record even for here!

I've sold loads of bikes 'via' eBay, but away from auctions, for the reasons above it works well - you save listing fees, someone else saves on purchase price.

Starting with a high initial price is dirt cheap, but starting cheap with a reserve costs a fortune in listing fees, worth knowing.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Starting with a high initial price is dirt cheap, but starting cheap with a reserve costs a fortune in listing fees, worth knowing.

But a high start price puts off most potential buyers, where starting cheap encourages a bidding war.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Depends on the item. With high ticket items I've always listed at my acceptable minimum. Less gaff, you may only get one bid, but it'll be what you want. Sold several bikes well into the thousands like that. Stops you getting the "I'll give you £500 for that S-Works" muppets too!

Low value then 99p start and no reserve is always the way!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ebay fees have always (well a ruddy long time) been 10%, but they have now added 10% to the P&P as well, nominally to encourage more people to offer free P&P, also stops people padding the P&P to act as a de facto higher start price while using 99p to avoid listing fees, so all my P&P's have now gone up by 11% (think about that before you accuse me of profiteering!).

Never offer an off ebay transaction publicly......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    njee20 wrote:

Rubbish, there are no typos at all. Every word is spelt correct. :wink:
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    RandG wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

Rubbish, there are no typos at all. Every word is spelt correct. :wink:

............. 'ly'
  • Cheers for all replies, it went through the proper channels and I got a befty fee but all done now and got myself a remedy 7 2013 with a good discount.
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)