How much say have the pros in the kit used?

richiegwy
richiegwy Posts: 171
edited August 2013 in Pro race
Do the pros get much say in what equipment 9frames, groupsets etc) that a team uses or is it purely commercial and whatever sponsor provides the best deal, or there is so little between any of the products that it is just marketing hype.
Example, if electronic transmission is so much better I'm sure everyone would want to use it yet OPQS and saxo with Cavendish, Martin, Contador all use SRAM mechanical. If there was that much difference wouldn't these guys want it and wouldnt Shimano want to be associated with them

Similarly for wheels. Zipps are supposedly the fastest but not everyone are using them.

Comments

• I was reading on the "secret pro" blog, that they don't get much say at all, they ride what they are given - to a large extent.

Didn't know that not everyone uses electronic, I thought they all did.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,283
    On this subject:
    @AdamMyerson 16 Aug

Regarding my switch to discs, you ride what the sponsor asks, you look for the positive attributes, and you are incredibly grateful for it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    I imagine it depends on who the pro is. Someone like Froome, Cavendish, Cancellara will able to use what they like from the sponsor's range (and in some cases maybe a rival's product rebadged). Meyerson on the other hand will get what he's given.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Wiggo didn't seem to impressed with Shimano electronic shifting, I doubt that was his choice.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Havent pros ridden saddles that weren't from the sponsor, just with the sponsor's name painted on the side?
  • MrTapir wrote:
    Havent pros ridden saddles that weren't from the sponsor, just with the sponsor's name painted on the side?

Amongst others Jan Ullrich used to ride a rebadged bike IIRC. I'm sure someone with a better recollection will be able to confirm.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • richiegwy
    richiegwy Posts: 171
    I think Cav was blaming drivetrain a good bit at the start of the season but a little more subtly than Wiggo. Wonder how he is finding moving from Di2 to mechanical

On the saddle thing there are some who carry over sella saddles and the like and just black them out. I read that one guy was using a saddle no longer available and wouldn't change for anything.
  • In the days of steel frames it was quite common for big name riders to ride on the frame of their choice rebadged to the frame sponsor's name. I always thought that with the advent of clearly identifiable carbon frames this would stop this practise.

A couple of years ago, Eurosort were covering la Vuelta, and this question came up. The commentator replied he'd just had a text/email/tweet from Terry Dolan who claimed there were x number of his frames being ridden in the peleton. I was really surprised. On the whole steel frames look like pretty much every other steel frame - geometry was, and still is, the main difference between different makers' frames. Now compare a Pinarello withh that curly stay and fork combo with an Orbea, or a needle thin seat stayed Cervelo. In the last 18 months frames seems to have become more 'unique' with their aero design so I would imagine it is less easy to use a rebadged frame.

Wheels and tyres are often rebadged.

Doesn't Wiggo use mechanical shifters on his TT bike so he can have achieve a longer reach in the tuck?
  • MrTapir wrote:

I've read that a lot of the peloton ride Specialized shoes, although a lot of them with the labels removed.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Boardman rode Dolan frames resprayed in his pro team colours. Kelly wore puma shoes with adidas stripes painted down the side.

I think its a lot harder to do this these days - everything is designed to stand out as much as do the job. So you can't really get away with it.

I'm sure I saw a Euskatel rider in a Kask aero helmet this year though.

I don't think there would be much fuss over electronic v manual gears and often they let riders have their own shoe or saddle sponsors if the team hasn't got one.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    cougie wrote:
    Boardman rode Dolan frames resprayed in his pro team colours. Kelly wore puma shoes with adidas stripes painted down the side.

I think its a lot harder to do this these days - everything is designed to stand out as much as do the job. So you can't really get away with it.

I'm sure I saw a Euskatel rider in a Kask aero helmet this year though.

I don't think there would be much fuss over electronic v manual gears and often they let riders have their own shoe or saddle sponsors if the team hasn't got one.

Earlyish Lance rode a rebranded Litespeed titanium number IIRC?

Strava is not Zen.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Think Ullrich's TT bike was at times not the team-issue bike but a Teschner.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    calvjones wrote:

Earlyish Lance rode a rebranded Litespeed titanium number IIRC?

Yes I think he did. Wasnt it a Blade - so pretty obvious what it actually was ?