Need a rear bike rack to fit on a Mini Countryman

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm not looking to spend much (less than £100) and to carry two or three bikes at most.

The car has a relatively squared off back end but is still a hatchback.

It's my wife's car and she has said she would not want to use a roof rack so that is out - it needs to be one that hangs off the back end.

At the moment it would only be used to carry my road bike as I'm the only one cycling but my wife will end up with some sort of hybrid in the near future and we'll use this rack to carry both hers and my hybrid when we do easier rides together. We've just had a daughter so eventually there'll be a third much smaller bike to add to the rack too.

Any ideas on a good one to buy?

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Doubt you'll get anything for under £100 since you'll need a light board and number plate (unless you just do what a lot of folk do and drive around illegally obscuring lights and number plate). Why not do it properly and get a tow bar and tow bar rack? That'd cost about £400 - not much compared to the cost of your Maxi.
    More problems but still living....
  • chaymck
    chaymck Posts: 157
    Maxi? Don't you mean BMW....
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Why would the number plate be obscured??
  • He means "Maxi" as they are certainly not a "Mini" anymore..........

I have one of these http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/strap-on-rack.php which is ok, but prefer my tow bar mounted or roof mounted alternatives. However, you may well need a lightboard. I can get away with it on the wifes car as she has a Picasso so the bikes are lifted out the way of the lights/number plate.
  • on the mini, it would be the lights that would probably be obscured.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    You could get the proper Mini one, lot more than £100 though, it bolts into mountings behind the two blanks in the bumper.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR