Fitting a rear rack on frame without eyelets?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited August 2013 in Tour & expedition
I've seen a rack by Tubus that is supported at the bottom by being threaded through the quick release skewer but they're going for £100!

Are there any other ways I can fit a rack when there are no frame mounts for one??

Comments

• I bought a 13 litre dry bag and some webbing straps to attach it to the handlebars for some multi day rides. Total cost; £12.85.
  • rodgers73
    Would prefer to go for a more traditional type rack if possible - I can see these things flapping about a bit and putting too much strain on the seatpost, so not ideal.
  • rodgers73
    Ber Nard wrote:

Would p clips hold much weight though??
  • chaos75
    chaos75 Posts: 72
    Hey Tom

If you remember that magical trip we took to Paris together (I know I do) you may recall my equipment!!
    I used a carradice bagman qr with a seatpost clamp that had extra eyelets on it (i think it was made by giant). The rack attached to the saddle rails and then the seatpost clamp and was solid and stable with a carradice longflap pretty fully loaded (about 10kg).
    I got the bag and rack off of ebay, they seem to hold their value pretty well, and my lBS ordered the clamp for me.
    Hope this helps.
    What are you planning, another big trip?

Gareth
  • rodgers73
    Evening Gareth,

We'll always have Paris eh? My PC's wallpaper is a pic Mark took of that cafe we stopped at on day 3 with the whistling proprietor behind the bar. Good times...

I do indeed remember your equipment! It did look a pretty good piece of kit and seemed to hold a lot.

It's a way off yet but I'm thinking about London to Rome - what's brought it to a head though is I'm probably getting as new bike soon and I don't think the Spesh Roubaix has rack eyelets. So, if I can't come up with an alternative for the luggage carrying I may need to reassess!

How's 2013 been for you? Did you do many events this season??
  • chaos75
    chaos75 Posts: 72
    Tom
    Haven't done anything Unfortunately. I had an accident at the beginning of the summer, fell off and broke my shoulder and am still recovering due to ligament damage. Also then got to fix the bike as it got a bit bashed up! Just spent a week in Cornwall and visited land's end which has firmly planted the seed for an end to end at some point, hopefully with just the bike and a tent. Are you planning to do Rome on your own or with a group? Good to hear from you.
    Gareth
  • Alitogata
    Alitogata Posts: 148
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I've seen a rack by Tubus that is supported at the bottom by being threaded through the quick release skewer but they're going for £100!

Are there any other ways I can fit a rack when there are no frame mounts for one??

I think you need this kind of rack:

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/ ... -road-dlx/

DSC02318.JPG

DSC02305.JPG

DSC02315.JPG
  • rodgers73
    This looks good - a lot cheaper than the Tubus one anyway!
  • rodgers73
    chaos75 wrote:
    Tom
    Haven't done anything Unfortunately. I had an accident at the beginning of the summer, fell off and broke my shoulder and am still recovering due to ligament damage. Also then got to fix the bike as it got a bit bashed up! Just spent a week in Cornwall and visited land's end which has firmly planted the seed for an end to end at some point, hopefully with just the bike and a tent. Are you planning to do Rome on your own or with a group? Good to hear from you.
    Gareth

That's a shame - its been a great summer to be on the bike! I've been pretty distracted by our first child arriving - Harriet Elizabeth - so I haven't done a lot either, mainly just the commute and the odd half day on the weekend.

LEJOG would be great - especially doing it as self sufficiently as that. It's certainly on my list for the future. Rome is planned as a solo trip, just for the sense of adventure, but I'm expecting the girls may fly out to meet me halfway and again at the finish. Its at least a year away so plenty of time to sort out a plan yet.

Got a definite plan for Easter next year though - London-Paris non-stop! Going to be some serious pain (and rain too I expect!) involved.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Blackburn ex1 disc. Lower mounting uses quick release. I use p clips at the top. It is solid with vertical drop out on my frame. About 40 quid.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mobile/black ... prod28564/

Minor niggle is the lack of player to fit a light. Also be aware the panniers stock out a teeny bit wider
  • rodgers73
    Thanks for that - looks just the job