Cassette Tools

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited October 2013 in The workshop
I would like to get some cassette tools as its £15 everytime to the LBS I want to do something including tightening.

I have found some chain whips on ebay for £5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chain-Whip-Sp ... 5d427dbcee

and a shimano cassette tool

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chain-Whip-Sp ... 5d427dbcee

are these sufficient for my shimano gear?

thanks

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    The link is the same but yes, you just need a whip and a cassette tool (and the appropriate ring spanner, adjustable spanner, allen key) for said tool
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    schweiz wrote:
    The link is the same but yes, you just need a whip and a cassette tool (and the appropriate ring spanner, adjustable spanner, allen key) for said tool

Thanks, I was hoping to put a standard socket set on the end of the cassette tool, although I may have an adjustable that will fit. Using the socket set would allow me to use a torque wrench.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    a standard socket would do the trick too. I have a torque wrench but for the 40Nm for the cassette, it just needs to be good and tight!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or wait until LIDL/ALDI next do a full toolkit for about £20-25?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    samsbike wrote:
    schweiz wrote:

Thanks, I was hoping to put a standard socket set on the end of the cassette tool, although I may have an adjustable that will fit. Using the socket set would allow me to use a torque wrench.

I use a standard socket set - I don't worry about the torque wrench though ... The socket fits better.

Don't use an open ended spanner - you're more likely to slip off ...

Oh - and watch your hands on them spokes ... !
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The Rookie wrote:
    Or wait until LIDL/ALDI next do a full toolkit for about £20-25?

The more expensive but still cheap ones that can be had from proper bike shops or Ebay (eg by Icetoolz) are vastly better. I have both. The Aldi/Lidl kit is OK to leave at my parents for the odd minor fettling of my bike there but for a regularly used bike it's not really good enough.

Be careful with your choice of cassette tool. I wrecked my Icetoolz one so decided a Park one would be better. It wasn't. It was much worse. The metal was no tougher than the Icetoolz and the design far inferior. No pin to push into the axle hole to help support the tool and, rather than having a square hole for a torque wrench on the opposite side, it had a round hole..... :roll: The only way I had to use it was put an adjustable spanner on it. So it wobbled because of that and it wobbled because of not having a support pin and I had no means of knowing how tightly I needed to do it up. Fortunately, the wobbliness combined with the reduced leverage of the spanner compared to my torque wrench ensured that the tool was a write off before I had a chance to put the cassette back on!

For quality, the LBS recommended Tacx tools as superior to Park. I've yet to try them.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have used a Lidl one regularily since I built my first bike in 2009, the cassette tool now needs replacing but had probably removed at least 40 lock rings if not more, for most DIYers that would be about 20 years use which seems OK to me!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pro do a nice cassette tool but it only comes as a set with the whip

31898_1_Zoom.jpg