Boardman FS Pro 2008 - 3rd frame that's cracked!!!

stueyscott
stueyscott Posts: 112
edited August 2013 in MTB general
Having been an advocate of Boardman bikes I'm struggling to remain convinced.

May 2009 purchased a Boardman Pro Fs
Oct 2010 the frame cracked around the upper shock mount welds - frame replaced as they have 2 yr warranty on frames
Sept 2012 the frame cracked around the welds on the upper shock mount and swing arm cross brace, near the pivot point - both sides - replacement frame,
March 2013 the frame has cracked around the welds on the upper shock mount, the weld between the seat stem and cross bar and the head set weld near the down tube - off to Halfords tomorrow to see the bike store manager.

Has anybody else had these sorts of problems?

I'm hoping that I can get an alternative to the 2009 bike as I think 4 frames is 3 to many :-(

A shame as the bike has worked faultlessly otherwise - other than chain suck in heavy mud!

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    That seems quite odd, maybe you're just very unlucky! I've been at Halfords as a mechanic now for almost two years and haven't ever had any Boardmans back with cracked frames. I've had a fair few Carrera Banshees with snapped chainstays but not Boardmans. You will be able to get another one on warranty, as you said you get a two year on the frame. I would be surprised if they are still able to get hold of the 09 frame, usually the older model frames are replaced with the newer versions at the same time the bike is updated. So you should be getting the 2012 model frame for warranty replacements.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Doesn't the warranty start at the beginning of the first frame and was 2 years from that only? Wasn't sure it renewed every time you got a new one, is rare in the world of warranties.
  • stueyscott
    I ride regular XC trail centre stuff so I think I'm just unlucky.

In regards to the warrenty the first time it was replaced without question, the second time the shop agreed that it should be changed but the Halfords head office tried the 'its 2 years from the purchase' card. When I explained that it was on the welds and that I disagreed completely they acknowledged that its a manufactures fault and replaced the frame. With that president set they would be hard pressed not to provide a replacement frame or alternative this time.

Last time they managed to find one of only three remaining 2009 frames in the UK. I'm hoping for an alternative this time.

Shame as I'd just spent 2hrs servicing before I noticed the cracks :-(
  • oxocube1
    Yea when replacing the frame they will go to the bike's specifications on the system and order whatever frame its suggests for the model in question. By now im sure they would only have the 2012 frames available from the warehouse, so that is most likely the one you would get if you were to get another one on warranty. Supersonic's point is possibly valid though so you will just have to see what the store says. Just out of interest which store is it you will be going to? As I see you are from South Wales and I worked in the Newport store up until September last year.
  • stueyscott
    My understanding is that the frame is under warrenty and as such when that is replaced in effect you get a 'new' frame which should mean that the warrenty on that frame is also two years. Hopefully as they have replaced the frames in the past they will do the same this time, especially as this one is no more than 7 months old.

The cardiff store down on NP road
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    oxocube1 wrote:
    That seems quite odd, maybe you're just very unlucky! I've been at Halfords as a mechanic now for almost two years and haven't ever had any Boardmans back with cracked frames. I've had a fair few Carrera Banshees with snapped chainstays but not Boardmans. You will be able to get another one on warranty, as you said you get a two year on the frame. I would be surprised if they are still able to get hold of the 09 frame, usually the older model frames are replaced with the newer versions at the same time the bike is updated. So you should be getting the 2012 model frame for warranty replacements.

Unlucky are you real.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    Did you ever change or service the pivot bearings? On some bikes, when ridden in muddy/sandy/wet conditions, they don't last very long at all. It's possible that if they're not running smooth they can put undue stress on the frame.

Unless they consider you to be very unlucky, 3 cracked frames might be considered by the manufacturer that you're doing something to cause it.

Has anyone else heard of this occurring to other Boardman FS frames?
  • stueyscott
    Bearings are fine. I'm not a bike mechanic but I know bikes and bearings and there's never been any play in any of the pivot points. The shock has always had the correct pressure and the seat stem a good 3 or 4 cm above the minimum level in the seatpost. The bike has been serviced and well looked after. I'm not what I would call a overly heavy rider, I'm 14 stone but even at that weight I would expect a £1400 bike to with stand trail centre routes and regular XC rides.

It just seems that the welds have not correctly impregnated the aluminium frame and that the stress of riding is pulling the welds away from the frame.
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    Have you found any evidence of this happening to other Boardman FS Pros? Because there is consistency here, the upper shock mount has cracked three times. So there are two possibilities:

1) The design/method of manufacture is flawed. If this is the case then you should be able to find others online etc. that have failed in the same way
    2) There is something you've done consistently that has caused the failure.

Common sense really but this is how Halfords/Boardman will look at it.

Also, remember in addition to the warranty you've got the Sale of Goods act

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act/

If it's 1) then you should have a strong case with Sale of Goods act as you can show it's design/manufacturing fault. After 6 months you have to prove the fault under SoG Act.
  • stueyscott
    No, mines actually on the welds. No where near as bad as that.

Just been to halfords, the options are either another frame, if they can source one, or £600 off a new Team FS.

Have to decide by this afternoon.

Probably go with option B
  • stueyscott
    Took advice from consumer protection agency and Halfords have agreed to provide a 2013 Boardman Team FS as a replacement for no fee.

Can't ague with that really.

:-)
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Good outcome, kudos to Halfords for not messing about.

Lets hope this one doesn't go the same way as the previous 3.
  • oxocube1
    stueyscott wrote:
    Took advice from consumer protection agency and Halfords have agreed to provide a 2013 Boardman Team FS as a replacement for no fee.

Can't ague with that really.

:-)

Good stuff! Thats the same thing I would haven done if you had come to my store. Seems the most logical option.
  • What a result, halfords comes in for a lot of stick at times but this has redeemed them in my opinion.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Cracking customer service, no pun intended.
  • I have a 2009 Boardman Pro MTB 20" and it has hardly been used due to injury. What few miles it has done have all been road going, with only very light off road riding, certainly nothing that should cause a frame to crack!
    At the beginning of Summer I got the bike out to use for the first time this year, and noticed two cracks around the base of the headset stem, where the forks sit. I took it to my local Halfords who said they had never seen this before, nor had ever had any issues with Boardman frames. I was informed that as there is only a two year warranty on these frames, it was no longer covered. I was less than impressed especially bearing in mind the minimal amount of use its had. Am I alone in thinking 2 years for a frame Warranty is poor, especially on a bike costing a grand?
    I've had Marin's for years without a single issue, but decided to swap to a Boardman, as the price of £999 for this model, with the equipment it had was very good price, and the reviews up to that point had been really good.
    To their credit, Halfords swallowed the cost and replaced the frame with the same 2009 spec 20" MTB Pro, regardless of warranty, due to its condition and obvious minimal use. However after reading of many other issues with Boardman frames, I'm very dubious now, and I feel I'm waiting for this one to crack as well.
    There's too many incidences of frame or weld cracks to be just "unlucky". Defonitely a design or manufacture/material flaw.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There are worse warranties. Commencal have 6 months on the Supreme DH which costs an awful lot more than a Boardman. They even state that the warranty is invalidated by using it for downhill riding!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    2 years isn't unusual.

You could still have a claim under the sale of Goods act.

People with issues are more liley to complain, everyone who hasn't had one crack doesn't create a post telling you of that fact!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I had a bike when I was about 10 and the frame cracked after I jumped it off kerbs for a year or so. The local engineering shop welded it up. If I could remember what it was I would complain.

ps I was 10 around 1066 or so.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    Not my field but as an Engineer and a manager. If you came to me with another cracked frame for the 3rd time. Id listen & do some research on other returns within 2 years. If was no other similar cases, id probably take it back for inspection but would most likely be telling you that it must be something that you are doing. Only you'll know the answer to that.

1st frame, ok lets replace. 2nd questionable but possibly as good will if could not prove you had done it. 3rd, no way. Would not even get to a 4th occasion.

I also believe in the eyes of consumer law that you warranty does not restart every replacement either. Otherwise people like me would crack a frame on the final month of my warranty everytime to get a free update ;)