Tyre Recommendation

katiebob
katiebob Posts: 208
edited September 2013 in The workshop
Hi all,

I have a Carrera Gryphon and after a string of punctures (abot one a week) I changed the tyres to Dutch Perfect Puncture Proofs....

After months of riding with no problems I have a puncture but can't get the tyre off to fix it. I have tried plastic levers, metal levers and nothing can seem to catch the lip to lift it over the rim. I'm taking it to Halfords at lunch to see if they have any more luck. I should have known that it would be a sod to get off as it was a challenge to get them on!

Are there any easier "puncture resistant" tyres to remove? Something I can do by the roadside?

Thanks, Katie

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Its a tricky one as it depends on the rim and the tyre to some degree and some do need a high degree of hand strength to get off and particulalry back on at times. one trick is to pinch the opposite site of the tyre so the bead (outer edge) sits well down in the rim - thats gives you a bit more room to work with at the business end.

A good set of levers that will clip to spoke whiilst you get a secong lever in will also help.

I chnaged a tyre recently for a work colleague and her observation was that "there was no point me (her) attempting that as i'd never have the strength in my hands to get it over the rim."
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • katiebob
    katiebob Posts: 208
    I'll give that a go, thanks.

Although I feel I'm destined to a future of handing over my wheel to a man and getting him to do it! :oops:
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    some tyre and rim combos are just a nightmare, you'd think they are standard but they aren't. My lever-less fitting technique is pretty good but I was recently defeated by the combo of Continental GP tyres on DT rims, just couldnt do it, with levers it was possible but such a struggle I wouldnt want to have to do it at the roadside.

I switched to Schwalbe Duranos (folding bead) and they went on really easily by hand. They are a tough fast training tyre rather than a hardcore commuter tyre though. For something really P* proof you could try some Schwalbe marathon plus but they can be trickier to fit.