Which clip-less pedals?

PhildB
PhildB Posts: 73
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
I have a road bike, I am about to buy some cycle shoes, I would like some which are fairly comfortable to walk in, so I understand that I need some which will be designed for mountain biking?

I like and have heard good things about the Look Keo red clipless pedals, - are these only compatible with road shoes, - or does it totally depend on the cleat? I've read some buying guides, but am still not clear.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Pointless giving recommendations on shoes as the right ones are the ones that fit. Go to a decent shop and try a few pairs on as they all come up slightly differently.

If you're after mtb shoes though, you probably want to stick to SPD or Cranks Brothers as the cleats on Keos and the like will be too big for the recess in the shoe. There are probably more touring-based shoes which may be able to accept road cleats, but these are a little more niche and may be harder to come by.
  • PhildB
    PhildB Posts: 73
    Thanks for the info, - will look into :)

I wasn't really after advice on the shoes, - what I am confused about is what type of pedals are or are not compatible with mountain bike type shoes.

Cheers
  • Robin_D
    Robin_D Posts: 38
    I really like the Look Keo Classics. The only issue (and it's a pretty big issue) is that the cleat life is crap.

I've done ten or so rides albeit as a newbie, so may not be the most considerate. The cleats are not far off needing replacing, with small bit of the cleat falling off.
  • mpie
    mpie Posts: 81
    Robin_D wrote:
    I really like the Look Keo Classics. The only issue (and it's a pretty big issue) is that the cleat life is crap.

I've done ten or so rides albeit as a newbie, so may not be the most considerate. The cleats are not far off needing replacing, with small bit of the cleat falling off.

Road cleats like the Keos are not intended for walking. If you don't walk in them , they'll last as long as the shoe. If you are going to walk further than a few yards, then MTB shoes/pedals (SPD) would be better. I'm still on my first pair of Keo cleats (after ~ 4 years use).