"Who would complain?" thread

Yossie
Yossie Posts: 2,600
edited August 2013 in The bottom bracket
Can anyone, in simple words, please explain why this thread was locked by Richard the mod?

Seemed like harmless enough banter to me.

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    The point of my thread was kinda rhetorical, not an attempt to identify those that have actually complained. I wanted to know why anyone would go to the trouble of logging in to a forum, labelled as adult content, then complain that some words were affecting their opinions and those of their relatives. It was to start a bit of the banter that we had before on BR, that is before people who think everything has to be about them, joined.

Banter is is a non-serious conversation, usually between friends, which may rely on humour or in-jokes at the expense of those taking part. The purpose of banter may at first appear to be an offensive affront to the other person's face. However, people engaging in such a conversation are often signaling that they are comfortable enough in each other's company to be able to say such things without causing harm. I do appreciate that sometimes banter is particularly difficult for those with semantic pragmatic disorder.

I apologise for starting this thread and will try to post less contentious issues in future, maybe we could do with a 'special' section within BB :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Yossie
    Like a subterranean BB? Homesick blues man, you've got the homesick blues.
  • Forum Rule number #758
    Questioning of site moderation not aloud.

7 day ban. Give you time to think about things.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • team47b
    Forum Rule number #758

So it's OK to think it :D

This intended as a joke, not to be confused with banter or a pi55 take at dyslechseeaa-ics
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    team47b wrote:
    Forum Rule number #758

This intended as a joke, not to be confused with banter or a pi55 take at dyslechseeaa-ics

Who would think it? Perish the thought!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,655
    team47b wrote:
    Forum Rule number #758

'Thought Crime'. Minority Report, BB stylee?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Aaagh! I've just been banned for something I was going to post this evening!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,655
    bompington wrote:
    At least you've had the privilege of being banned by Tom Cruise.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    bompington wrote:

Thought you would be. :wink:
  • team47b
    To answer your question Yossie, which in itself is something that is not normally acceptable, the thread was locked for "Goading other users".

Which if it was anyone's intention to goad or provoke action is wrong, on the other hand did anyone intend to provoke?

Who is it that is best able to judge our intentions?

This is a rhetorical question and not a 'goad' to encourage someone to answer 'aloud' :D
  • ballysmate
    Can I provoke debate or is that not allowed.?
  • Yossie
    Sorry - what do you mean by "goadother users"?

To goad another user be like to say, like, come one you anonymous person on the internet I don't know, will never know and will never even meet, I dare you to type something that you think I'll take offence to even though it doesn't mean anything as we don't know each other and if I take that much offence to it all I have to do is click a button and move to another thread. Maybe one with semi naked ladies on it.

Or am I missing the point?

Or is it just someone deciding in their opinion that they don't like the thread and stopping it because they feel the right to have the power to although the thread was actually harmless?

Just wonderin' like.