Rulebritania Posts: 209
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
nope
Don't call me sir I work for a living

Comments

• chanjy
    chanjy Posts: 200
    One is a 2013 bike, one is a 2014 bike.

There is a change to the frame design which you may wish to note, which makes the 2014 relatively more attractive.

http://road.cc/content/news/88762-updat ... 2014-range

Otherwise it is just a choice between 105 and Tiagra. Both will work fine, but personally I would get the Tiagra and spend the extra £200 on your own saddle and some better wheels.
  • It's worth the extra £200 IMO.

The main thing you get is a 105 groupset instead of Tiagra, which means your shifters, gear changers, cranks etc are all better quality. Only the rear cogs are the same.

You also get proper 105 brakes instead of the unbranded bits of useless metal Trek supply with the lower end models.

You also get a carbon seatpost.

In short you get a package of upgrades which themselves would cost much more than £200 to upgrade later date. So get the 2.3.

But actually no ;). Get the 4.0 as you get a good quality carbon frame, which will perform far better than the aluminum counterpart.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    It's worth the extra £200 IMO.

The main thing you get is a 105 groupset instead of Tiagra, which means your shifters, gear changers, cranks etc are all better quality. Only the rear cogs are the same.

You also get proper 105 brakes instead of the unbranded bits of useless metal Trek supply with the lower end models.

You also get a carbon seatpost.

In short you get a package of upgrades which themselves would cost much more than £200 to upgrade later date. So get the 2.3.

But actually no ;). Get the 4.0 as you get a good quality carbon frame, which will be a marginally smoother ride but not make you go any fasterthan the aluminum counterpart.

FIFY
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • ptlk66
    ptlk66 Posts: 52
    Something else to consider:

I have just purchased a 2013 Domane 4.0 for £1150 price matched by my local trek dealer against royles.biz who are running 20% off. If you can stretch to that price that is what i would recommend as the bike has a carbon frame. As this will be my winter bike I am not bothered by the Tiagra groupset, it means spares will be significantly cheaper than the 11 speed Campag Athena groupset i had on my previous winter bike. My view is invest in the best frame you can afford all other components are consumable. My groupsets typically last two years as I do approx 10,000 miles per year.

I have only done a few hundred miles but can confirm it rides fantastically well - very comfortable - and the Tiagra groupset has been fine. Has been a bit of an adjustment for me moving from Campag to Shimano.

Hope this helps
  • That was my point, you should get the best frame you can afford. Not that the 2.0/2.3 frame is bad, but the 4.0 is better.
  • Cheers for the responses,
    Don't call me sir I work for a living