Memorable gigs

2»

Comments

• hagar123
    hagar123 Posts: 369
    The Stone Roses - either 1988 or 89 at the Riverside Club, Newcastle.
    Epic, sweaty night when the band were still very much word of mouth and close to perfection.
    Still my favourite gig of all time and much better sound quality than Spike Island.

Quickly followed by Neds Atomic Dustbin, 1990 Leadmill Sheffield during my first year at Uni.

I still prefer smaller venues and can't understand why people want to stand in a stadium/field and watch a concert on a big screen.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I have had some wonderful nights over the last few years watching tribute bands. Some of them sound better than the original lineups would do now. For example, I saw the Rolling Stones on TV recently, a parody of themselves. I saw The Counterfeit Stones a few years ago at The Robin2 and they were brilliant.
    A few pubs around here went through a 'Tribute band phase'. It was brilliant. A local pub with live music is unbeatable for a good night.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Bruce Springsteen at the King's Hall Saturday past.

Played virtually non stop for approaching 3 1/2 hours.

Legend.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    Television Newcastle City Hall 1977 with Blondie supporting

Hope they're as good in November in Gateshead
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Bruce Springsteen at the King's Hall Saturday past.

Played virtually non stop for approaching 3 1/2 hours.

Legend.
    Saw Bruce play at the Metlife in N.J. last September. Special show by a legend.
    Still prefer small venues though.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Radiohead, before they had an album, playing for loose change at Warwick Students' Union.

Daniel Barenboim's Götterdämmerung at the Proms last night. At the end, Barenboim keeps his baton raised after the music is over. Absolute silence from the entire audience for 15 seconds, then the stick goes down and the applause shakes the building. Absolutely stunning.
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    20 years ago today (31/07/93) Depeche Mode at Crystal Palace. It was a fantastic gig, starting just as it was beginning to get dark. Sisters Of Mercy were the support. I've seen them a few times since but that one was special.
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • Kraftwerk at Tribal Gathering 1997, them in one tent followed by Orbital straight afterwards in another, awesome.

Other than that Orbital at Phoenix festival 1997, brilliant set and had to crawl in under the side of the tent as it was rammed and they weren't letting anymore in.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I know that I'll attract flak for this but........U2 @ The Rock Garden 1981-ish (Between the 'Boy' and 'October' albums. It was a stinking hot summer's evening and the underground venue was packed to way beyond it's capacity, the thing I remember is that it was raining indoors!!!

U2 were utterly sensational that night, I thought I'd seen the future. And they played about four encores as the band had to walk through the crowd to get to the stage door and the crowd wouldn't let them off-stage!

They've been on a downward trajectory (IMHO) ever since that night.
  • First proper gig I went to was Pink Floyd at Knebworth 1975. Been to plenty more since then. Unforgettable ones, probably Black Sabbath at Hammersmith, up on the balcony feeling it bouncing about and wondering if it was going to collapse and the toilets being so busy in the interval that half the men were pissing in the sinks (didn't wash my hands after that day :shock: ) and Boomtown Rats at the Rainbow. Girl I know worked for their record company and she got tickets. She told me on the way there that she could have got tickets for the after show party, but couldn't be bothered. :evil: I'd have taken her home and then gone on my own :twisted:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yup I was at hammersmith with BS and remember that balcony!

Saw Rory Gallagher twice in Leicester... He was awesome
  • Nirvana at Reading 92 was pretty special.
    The Cure at NEC in 1989 on the Prayer Tour. First time I saw them and they played an amazing 3hr+ set, made me realise how lame some bands can be playing for just an hour or so.
    The Wonderstuff are always a giggle, even in their latest incarnation. Erica is VERY easy on the eyes :-)
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I went for a meal last night and Craig David played to our intimate crowd, it was very good.
    Living MY dream.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    VTech wrote:
    I went for a meal last night and Craig David played to our intimate crowd, it was very good.
    :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Saw Morrissey at the Royal court Liverpool back in 1999, straight from the pub and crashed to the front of the stage....awesome powerful gig, within touching distance of the stage.....even managed to bag Boz Boorers set list at the end....walked out into a winters evening not sure why I felt so cold, only realized as it was so cramped by the pit I was literally dripping from head to toe in sweat...happy days!!!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    doll by doll, any gig

iggy, ditto, in fact i'm listening to metallic ko right now, vinyl, mmm
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Radiohead at Glasto in 97

Ocean Colour Scene at Manchester Apollo in 99 or 2000ish.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    So many from back in the day. Thin Lizzy at their glorious best mid70's. Van Halen opening for a weary Black Sabbath and Van Halen were young, hungry and like nothing else out there.Springsteen on The River tour, 2 nights at Mcr Apollo, I was on the 2nd row. The myth was true. Varied set lists, long shows and a band to die for. GnR debut tour - attitude and energy and that guitar thing.
    M.Rushton
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,371
    Nirvana at Reading 92 was pretty special.
    Agreed!
    The Cure at NEC in 1989 on the Prayer Tour. First time I saw them and they played an amazing 3hr+ set, made me realise how lame some bands can be playing for just an hour or so.
    Agreed! Saw them (for about the fourth time) last summer in Lisbon - played for 3 hours - stellar!
    The Wonderstuff are always a giggle,
    Agreed again!!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • CanalRider
    CanalRider Posts: 194
    Rainbow at Stafford Bingley Hall, early 80's. My first gig at a large venue.
    Springsteen 'Born in the USA' tour, always value for money and great at Roundhay Park.
    Motorhead, at Brum Odeon, pure noise.
    Hawkwind with Ginger Baker on Drums. T Shirt was shite though, paint come off after one wash.

And the one that got away... Talking Heads.
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    Talking heads newcastle poly 77, dire straits supporting
  • john_kline
    john_kline Posts: 2,151
    Dexys Midnight Runners, Shaftesbury Avenue 1982. 'Intense' is an understatement.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    VTech wrote:

I'd have asked the restaurant owner to turn his s**t CD off :wink:
  • yer gran
    yer gran Posts: 186
    Yes, NEC, mid-80's. Amazing hologram laser effects. Never seen the like since.
    Bowie, Glastonbury.....all the hits, no filler.
    Chumbawamba, ditto, Green Fields. Raw and alive. Alice Nutter in great form.
    Pogues, somewhere in London, Forum K.Town? Shane too far gone to sing. Crowd filled in for whole gig.
    Iggy Pop, Brixton. Dropped his pants. Stage-dived. COck in face moment. Err....Yuk!
    'Punk Night' at Uni of Victoria, Canada, early 90's. Sounded more like Heavy Metal going off first 2 bands. Sulked and griped in bar for rest of night. Saved flyer....turns out I missed local band calling themselves Nirvana!
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    yer gran wrote:
    Yes, NEC, mid-80's. Amazing hologram laser effects. Never seen the like since.
    Bowie, Glastonbury.....all the hits, no filler.
    Chumbawamba, ditto, Green Fields. Raw and alive. Alice Nutter in great form.
    Pogues, somewhere in London, Forum K.Town? Shane too far gone to sing. Crowd filled in for whole gig.
    Iggy Pop, Brixton. Dropped his pants. Stage-dived. fool in face moment. Err....Yuk!
    'Punk Night' at Uni of Victoria, Canada, early 90's. Sounded more like Heavy Metal going off first 2 bands. Sulked and griped in bar for rest of night. Saved flyer....turns out I missed local band calling themselves Nirvana!

Saw Nirvana at the LA Forum in the early 90's they were cracking, shame you missed them!

Fun Loving Criminals at the Manchester Apollo, memorable because they were on stage for ages, it got to a point of wanting them just to finish so we could go home.

Lady Gaga (I know, I know) at Twickenham. God awful stupid stadium show. Thank god I hadn't paid the £100 price tag. Give me small venues any day.
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug