Fancy a new frame, obscure if possible

white91
white91 Posts: 431
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
I currently ride a Planet X SL Carbon, nothing wrong with it at all, some people claim it flexes but I know no different.

I fancy a new frame, and like the look of Ridley and BMC, I think Cervelo and Pinarello are out the question due to £££.

Can people recommend some nice racy carbon frames, budget is £700 max so I am happy to look second hand.

From a looks point of view murdered out or ice white is my colour preference

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you're looking for something a bit out of the norm then have a look at the frames on offer from Paul Milnes. Dolan, Merida, Columbus are all listed but depends what size you need. Also noticed they were offering several Kovert Pro frames for around £600 (RRP £1299) for a truly left field choice

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Paul-Milnes-Cy ... 581&_pgn=1

The Kovert is available as an Ultegra Di2 kitted bike to give you an idea of the finished article

http://www.kovertracing.com/?page_id=50
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Check out Basso
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    At that price a second hand Argon 18 or Kuota kom
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Check out ADR Carbon. They're British, they know their sh!t, and they build a damn fine product (at least from what I've seen in the TT scene). Both the Giallo and Rosso are in your budget and you won't see many around.
    http://adrcarbon.com/collections/road
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557

OK, WTF is "murdered out" :?
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    topdude wrote:

OK, WTF is "murdered out" :?

And WTF is 'Ice white' compared to 'white'?* :loll:

* He's probably American!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Grill
    'Murdered out' is all black including components, wheelset, etc. Matte is preferable.
    'Ice white' generally indicates the desire for a pearlescent white paintjob.
  • white91
    Cheers guys really like the sound of the ADR Rosso, but I need to contact them about availability.

Also Dolan bikes I nearly bought one a few years back, so I need to keep an eye out. Anyone have an opinion on Orbea?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Grill wrote:
    'Murdered out' is all black including components, wheelset, etc. Matte is preferable.

So why not just say 'drab' or 'hairdressers XR3i'? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Grill
    Rolf F wrote:
    Grill wrote:

So why not just say 'drab' or 'hairdressers XR3i'? :lol:

OP must be a Yank. I am and that's how I'd say it. :P
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I got a timemachineTMR01 frameset recently and have had it built up. Its very very nice but also a bit high maintenance. if you were to go bmc outside of what i've got,the team machine seems to be the way to go, as in its still a traditional bike without the vices of having mini v brakes behind a fairing and a bottom bracket that also acts as a guide for the brakes at the rear! the only weakness is you get to deal with Evans at some point! also this years batch won't be avaialble until October earliest. bear in mind that this years and last years only work with mechanical OR DI2, you have to buy the specific frameset. The time machine and the teammachine 2014 model aren't an issue.

edit seems evans have some older framesets in stock. racemachines and the like at goodish prices. all good bikes....
  • arlowood wrote:
    If you're looking for something a bit out of the norm then have a look at the frames on offer from Paul Milnes. Dolan, Merida, Columbus are all listed but depends what size you need. Also noticed they were offering several Kovert Pro frames for around £600 (RRP £1299) for a truly left field choice

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Paul-Milnes-Cy ... 581&_pgn=1

The Kovert is available as an Ultegra Di2 kitted bike to give you an idea of the finished article

http://www.kovertracing.com/?page_id=50

Dolan Hercules is reduced to £499 at the moment
  • white91
    No email or call back from ADR, must be all on holiday!

What do peole think to the Cervelo R3? Good all rounder?
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    white91 wrote:
    No email or call back from ADR, must be all on holiday!

What do peole think to the Cervelo R3? Good all rounder?

I thought you wanted an obscure frame?
  • white91
    Ideally I would, but if something significantly better comes along, with stronger resale value I would consider it, hence the R3
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    This any good to you if a Cervelo is now of interest:-

viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=12937685
  • white91
    Thanks but I think that price is a little unrealistic
  • Grill
    white91 wrote:
    Ideally I would, but if something significantly better comes along, with stronger resale value I would consider it, hence the R3

You're not going to have the greatest resale on the R3 as the reason they're blowing them out is that it's an old model about to be replaced.