What could have caused this?

idontknow
idontknow Posts: 7
edited August 2013 in MTB general
Going to fix my bike myself, thank you everyone ;)

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    idontknow wrote:
    Hello,
    I am here regarding one of my mountain bike. Last Friday, whilst riding this bike I crashed. I had the bike repaired from a local store a few days before using the bike because the gears for not shifting properly and the brakes weren't aligned properly either (before I took it in for a repair, one of the brakes was closer to the front tyre than the other).
    I took some pictures of the bike which I have uploaded to this image site: http://minus.com/mlxuE1hrUTrkh

After the crash one of the front brakes was no longer touching the tyre and the 'rear derailleur' had moved in towards the back wheel. I have sent the bike in for repair, however, I wanted to get some independent views on this. If you have anything to say regarding this, then please share it.
    Thanks

So you post a thread asking "what could have caused this?" … you crashed your bike and it's damaged. That's all there is to say really, sh1t happens from time to time.

Most likely need a new mech hanger or try and straighten the current one and reallign the brakes.
  • Angry Bird wrote:
    idontknow wrote:
    Hello,
    I am here regarding one of my mountain bike. Last Friday, whilst riding this bike I crashed. I had the bike repaired from a local store a few days before using the bike because the gears for not shifting properly and the brakes weren't aligned properly either (before I took it in for a repair, one of the brakes was closer to the front tyre than the other).
    I took some pictures of the bike which I have uploaded to this image site: http://minus.com/mlxuE1hrUTrkh

After the crash one of the front brakes was no longer touching the tyre and the 'rear derailleur' had moved in towards the back wheel. I have sent the bike in for repair, however, I wanted to get some independent views on this. If you have anything to say regarding this, then please share it.
    Thanks

So you post a thread asking "what could have caused this?" … you crashed your bike and it's damaged. That's all there is to say really, sh1t happens from time to time.

Most likely need a new mech hanger or try and straighten the current one and reallign the brakes.

I understand what you are saying but I needed to know what could have caused the brake to be like it is.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    You crashed it, it hit something, brake took a knock? (as did mech hanger)?? :?
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The pads have moved. Read 'Read this first' below, and learn how to adjust/fix things or you are going to make your LBS very rich.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Brake bolt was probably a bit loose and has been knocked out of whack - easily done, rear mech hanger is probably bent - its a bit of metal it happens. It can be replaced.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • thank you for the read this first link in your signature, that is a very very useful site.
    I appreciate all your replies. I took the bike to the store and they said they will fix it.
    I have no idea how much I will be paying, once its fixed they will let me know. After assessing the bike they told me that the brakes had been slammed after I had applied the brakes and the mountain bike is not designed to be used in a park. They were talking about some sort of lever too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    KERCHING - you really need to learn to wield a spanner* or this is going to soon cost you more than the bike is worth!

*Other tools may be required
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Have got any friends with bikes or even a half competent car mechanic. As The Rookie says, your soon going to be paying more than the bike is worth.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • What do you suppose I do? Get rid of the bike?

I still don't understand how the pad moved so much that it was no longer in contact with the tyre, there was nothing on the ground that could have done this. I am pretty certain that I crashed due to the front pad not being in place.
  • angry_bird
    idontknow wrote:
    What do you suppose I do? Get rid of the bike?

I still don't understand how the pad moved so much that it was no longer in contact with the tyre, there was nothing on the ground that could have done this. I am pretty certain that I crashed due to the front pad not being in place.

OK. So, were the brakes working at all before you crashed?

If you're thinking it's the bike shop's fault you crashed because they didn't fix the bike properly then
    a) how can you be so sure that it didn't happen in the crash
    b) you'll have a hard time proving it and
    c) it's your own fault for not making sure your bike was in good working order

Also, the brake pad shouldn't be in contact with the tyre in the first place. I'd be worried if I was using my tyre to brake.
  • Yes it was working fine. Because I had ridden the bike the day before. I can't prove anything anymore as I took the bike to the store in order for it to get fixed. Yeah, I know.
    No, I didn't mean the pad was to be in contact with the tyre, I just meant it should have been in the same place as the other pad was.
    What do you guys suppose I do with the bike if its going to cost me a lot.
  • angry_bird
    idontknow wrote:
    Yes it was working fine. Because I had ridden the bike the day before. I can't prove anything anymore as I took the bike to the store in order for it to get fixed. Yeah, I know.
    No, I didn't mean the pad was to be in contact with the tyre, I just meant it should have been in the same place as the other pad was.

To be honest I doubt there was anything to prove in the first place other than that you crashed and damaged your bike.

idontknow wrote:
    What do you guys suppose I do with the bike if its going to cost me a lot.

Learn to fix it, like other people seem to have suggested :roll:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Based on the photos of your bike it isn't an expensive bike as such and if you pay for minor fixes then it will end up costing you a fair bit and you may find the fixes start mounting up if you use it for actual mountain biking style terrain.

For 25 quid you can buy a basic mechanics tool kit from chainreactioncycles.com for another 20 quid you can buy a haynes bike maintenance book and then have at 'er with as much gay abandon as you can muster. 45 quid will probably cover the two repairs you are getting done now.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park ... -prod17700
    this kit is for NOW£269.99
    I have seen a very similar kit in one of my neighbors house.
  • cooldad
    Don't be crazy. That's worth more than your bike.
    A basic kit for about £25 is fine, or a multitool and odd tools as you need them.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    This thread has got to be a joke?
    Crashes bike and seems surprised it broke and needs fixing, gets advise and still asks the same again, get told of a £25 tool kit and then finds a kit at £269! And has now edit original post making it look even more daft.
    This would be comedy if it was actually funny.
  • angry_bird
    I blame Wiggle.
  • ikm1y9k1vTOwV.jpg

You can see clearly at the bottom of this that the left hand pad (as we are viewing the photo) has been either incorrectly secured to begin with or knocked out of place when you fell. Undo the nuts securing the pad, adjust the position and you should be good to go. Use the other side as a template for how it should be

Your bike is definately at the budget end of things, but still, riding around a park shouldn't be taxing. As a rule of thumb you should expect to pay at least £300 to get something suitable for day to day reliable use.