Nice but weak beer

bartman100
bartman100 Posts: 544
edited October 2013 in The cake stop
I'd like to start drinking weaker beer because, frankly, I can no longer hack the pace.

Anyone recommend a nice beer (ale/bitter) at around 3.5 - 4.0% that I can quaff without ending up asleep or semi-concious for the rest of the day?

Comments

• neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    stiegl radler is a good summer choice if you can find it, beer cut with grapefruit juice and only 2.5%. It is cheating, but only if you get caught.
    FCN 12
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    green king IPA - about 3.8% IIRC and no poncy fruit in it :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Kernel Table Beer

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/the-kernel ... er/187863/

About 3 ABV but has the flavour of something much stronger.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Woodfordes Wherry - 3.8%, my favourite seeion alehttp://www.woodfordes.co.uk/wherry.html
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • neiltb wrote:
    stiegl radler is a good summer choice if you can find it, beer cut with grapefruit juice and only 2.5%. It is cheating, but only if you get caught.

I spent many years living around the corner from the Stiegl brewery in Salzburg. They get the thumbs up from me!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    simonhead wrote:
    Woodfordes Wherry - 3.8%, my favourite seeion alehttp://www.woodfordes.co.uk/wherry.html

Is the correct answer although I'm not sure what its availibility is like outside of East Anglia.
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    Caledonian Deuchers IPA. 3.6 or 3.8%
    Excellent . And quite widely available in the north and Scotland. Bottles too, but nowhere near as good (as is the case with all non bottle conditioned )
    jc
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    also Oakham JHB, Arbor Light and Hartington IPA. All excellent. Outstanding even
    jc
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Adnams Southwold Bitter : )
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I had some Little Nipper from the Brightwater Brewery the other day. Only 3.1% and really good. Unfortunately it's not very widely available.
  • OP, can you tell us the location of your Palace of Sin? As said above, some beers are more easily found than others!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • t4tomo wrote:
    green king IPA - about 3.8% IIRC and no poncy fruit in it :D

Another vote for Green King IPA, one of my favourite beers.

Also this is lovely, it's surprisingly refreshing, you'd imagine it to be fairly bitter and full bodied as it's such a dark beer....

http://www.perfectpint.co.uk/real-ale-b ... Jack-Black
  • Achamore
    Achamore Posts: 34
    Jim C wrote:
    Excellent . And quite widely available in the north and Scotland. Bottles too, but nowhere near as good (as is the case with all non bottle conditioned )

+1
  • For a bottle-conditioned ale I would recommend Coniston Bluebird at 3.6%. Simply ace and due it being an award winner it should be reasonably widely available.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • simonhead
    For a bottle-conditioned ale I would recommend Coniston Bluebird at 3.6%. Simply ace and due it being an award winner it should be reasonably widely available.

That sir is a very nice ale
  • simonhead
    Just picked up 3 mixed cases of badger on special offer at majestic. Like all the badger ales.
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    If its werry you are after then home brew it!

Southwold and The kernal table beer is very nice too. Id never recommend the greenking but each to their own.

Im still of the quality not quantty brigade which tends to keep most og my selections above 8%
    Insert witty signature here
  • Jim C wrote:

^^^This
    At the erse end o' a coo!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    I seriously hate IPAs...

I find the alcohol free Bavaria very drinkable... shame you can only get it in supermarkets and not in pubs... but hey oh, no alcohol tax... you get 6 x 33 cl bottles for 2 quid... :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    Hook Norton - Hooky. 3.5%
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Chiltern Brewery do some nice stuff that isn't too heavy

My fave is the Beechwood, but that's 4.3%

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I always find water or a soft drink is best!!! :D:D I stopped drinking years ago..and now quite truthfully CANNOT have more than a pint and im dizzy...so my advice if you can't hack it...leave well alone...stop worrying what your mates will think, reap the cost/health benefits too!!!
  • secretsam
    I always find water or a soft drink is best!!! :D:D I stopped drinking years ago..and now quite truthfully CANNOT have more than a pint and im dizzy...so my advice if you can't hack it...leave well alone...stop worrying what your mates will think, reap the cost/health benefits too!!!

Remarkable. Something more irritating than reformed smokers - reformed drinkers :D

PS: I'm reformed on both counts, BTW. Now if only I could add stuffing my gob with food to that sanctimonious list, I'd be just fine and dandy...

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    I seriously hate IPAs...

which is good because the Greene King one is in name only :lol: its nice I like it,but you have to pick the places to drink it because its one of those beers youll find in a stack of pubs who serve 90% lager and it sits there unloved in the corner and ends up being more like the stuff you put on chips.

Woodfordes Wherry is a very nice,3.8, Southwold Bitter, Dark Star hophead is a 3.8% and they are big into cycling too so go for that one :D

there are plenty other beers in that bracket but its starts getting a bit esoteric and difficult to find in your average pub.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Gulden Draak....... Om nom nom (not very weak though)

http://guldendraak.be/en/gulden-draak-0
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Skinners do some good bottled and draught beers such as :-

Betty stogs
    Helgians gold

And the well named

Ginger tosser

:)
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    On weekends where I'm doing some cycling, I usually drink 2.8% Bavaria lager, its easily the best tasting low-alcohol beer around in my opinion. Alcohol free wise, Becks Blue also hits the spot. At the 3.9% range I don't mind a Galahad from Aldi!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • laurentian wrote:
    Adnams Southwold Bitter : )

Sole Star from Adnams weighs in at only 2.7%, plenty of flavour to it though.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • durhamwasp wrote:
    I usually drink 2.8% Bavaria lager, its easily the best tasting low-alcohol beer around in my opinion.

Blimey - is 2.8% considered 'low alcohol' now?
    It's not that long since the lagers most pubs now serve were classed as 'strong continental' and beer at 3% was 'standard'; that's what the half pint equals one unit is based on...
  • secretsam
    durhamwasp wrote:
    I usually drink 2.8% Bavaria lager, its easily the best tasting low-alcohol beer around in my opinion.

Blimey - is 2.8% considered 'low alcohol' now?
    It's not that long since the lagers most pubs now serve were classed as 'strong continental' and beer at 3% was 'standard'; that's what the half pint equals one unit is based on...

I learned my lesson about strong lagers whilst in Qatar (!), when I consumed just too much Leffe Blonde. It's truly evil, but so-o-o-o-o nice...