worst travel destinations/holidays and why?

the playing mantis
the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
edited August 2013 in The cake stop
vtech did a best one sometime in the winter, so what about a worst one.

Comments

• Las Vegas, chavtastic
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ive never seen chavs in LV actually.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Wales, its full of welsh people. :wink:
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    More a bad choice than a worst destination. Went on honeymoon to Rhodes in the middle of a heat wave... Too hot to do thingy...
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The most boring place I've ever been in the course of a holiday was Harrogate.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Luxor Eygpt. Beautiful place if you were allowed to enjoy it without being hounded by locals. I realise tourism is the main money spinner in these areas but street sellers, cabs etc, would increase their trade tenfold if they left visitors in peace. Instead, most of the city is a no go area for tourists who don't feel safe.

Also, the way western girls are treated because they're not covered from head to foot is very disrespectful.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Oh and near Loch Ness in a mobile home at the height of the midge season was not a good choice either ...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Giraffoto wrote:
    The most boring place I've ever been in the course of a holiday was Harrogate.

Well it's a Victorian Spa town - Spa itself aside, the point of Harrogate is the fantastic scenery around it.

Worst travel destination? Probably Dubai. For the reason of unmitigated awfulness at pretty much every level. Empty place for empty folk. It should be allowed to return to the desert.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    t4tomo wrote:

Not strictly true!

North Wales is full of ble*din scousers...

and that's a whole lot worse :-)
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    Been to a whole heap of places, many of which whilst seemingly pleasant to visit are in fact pretty dull. Russia, China and Central American countries I could take or leave.

Iceland has to be the biggest disappointment. Really expected more.

Norway, apart from the cost, was by far the best, although I've been very lucky with the weather.

Have to say, I enjoy England for many, many reasons. The grass in my option is not always greener.
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    morstar wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

Not strictly true!

Rhyl , dismal place . Was surprised that I seemed to be the only Welshman there !
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Been to a few places, wouldnt do another stayover in Brighton as that place didnt work for me.

Most places I have been have good and bad points but on the whole good wins over.
    Living MY dream.
  • Lazarus wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

Not strictly true!

Rhyl , dismal place . Was surprised that I seemed to be the only Welshman there !

Rhyl was a great place when I grew up there in the 60's lazarus but since the influx of scousers, mancs, brummies, pottery town people it has lost a lot of what it had. With the exception of Siop Y Morfa the language is very seldom heard now and the whole place has gone down the nick. I suppose it's the same along the North Wales coast but the rule appears to be send the dross to Rhyl and the ones with a few bob to Abersock as they like to call it. You would think some of them would at least try to pronounce the place where they have purchased their holiday home correctly.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    seanoconn wrote:
    Luxor Eygpt. Beautiful place if you were allowed to enjoy it without being hounded by locals. I realise tourism is the main money spinner in these areas but street sellers, cabs etc, would increase their trade tenfold if they left visitors in peace. Instead, most of the city is a no go area for tourists who don't feel safe.

Also, the way western girls are treated because they're not covered from head to foot is very disrespectful.

+1

Hurghada, Egypt.

Never again. Scammed 3 times, pickpocketed once (although managed to catch the little f*^ker and get it back!)

Dirty, crap beaches, wasn't even hot.
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Lazarus wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

Not strictly true!

Rhyl was a great place when I grew up there in the 60's lazarus but since the influx of scousers, mancs, brummies, pottery town people it has lost a lot of what it had. With the exception of Siop Y Morfa the language is very seldom heard now and the whole place has gone down the nick. I suppose it's the same along the North Wales coast but the rule appears to be send the dross to Rhyl and the ones with a few bob to Abersock as they like to call it. You would think some of them would at least try to pronounce the place where they have purchased their holiday home correctly.

I can understand that, It was just a shock to the system and also slightly strange that I felt like an outsider in my own country lol.
    Take care Frank.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Rhyl dismal? If it is dismal now it has improved since I was there. A complete dog hole.
  • Isn't Sheeps mum from Rhyl?
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    My old boss used to go to Western super mare every year for 2 whole weeks!!

Also Blackpool needs a good wash.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Lazarus wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

Not strictly true!

Can't claim to have any Welsh connections myself but our first camping trip when we moved to Chorley was along the following lines...
    'Family site, Reasonably close, seaside'
    I know, North Wales will tick those boxes. May as well have camped on Liverpool docks. Horrible camping experience never to be repeated but at least the Welsh countryside came to our rescue.

Blackpool is aesthetically far better than it used to be but the culture of the place is what it is. I work there and hear no end of horror stories of what counts as everyday behaviour.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Mikey23 wrote:
    More a bad choice than a worst destination. Went on honeymoon to Rhodes in the middle of a heat wave... Too hot to do thingy...

Bad choice because you went on a honeymoon? :wink:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666
    seanoconn wrote:
    Luxor Eygpt. ....

But its not disrespectful of the Western girls not to respect the traditions and values of those whose country they are visiting?

Think you have forgotten whose country it is.

Visitors to a country should respect the traditions of the host country, not the other way round

Twittering @spen_666
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Blackpool: I've ridden through there quite regularly for the last 2 years and I don't think there's a redeeming feature other than the M55 making it easy to leave.

(some bits of) Turkey and Greece: Lots of litter ruining very pretty coastlines. Rabid dogs. Don't sell Pepsi Max.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Too hot to do thingy?
    Perhaps I could write a song. I know The Dead Kennedys had a song 'Too Drunk to do Thingy'.
  • spen666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Too hot to do thingy?
    Perhaps I could write a song. I know The Dead Kennedys had a song 'Too Drunk to do Thingy'.

:lol::lol::lol:

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Luxor Eygpt. ....

But its not disrespectful of the Western girls not to respect the traditions and values of those whose country they are visiting?

Visitors to a country should respect the traditions of the host country, not the other way round

You should be mindful of the countries you visit of course, but this is a topic that is for western people overkill and disrespectful towards women. We are not talking about traditions such as in Thailand where it is disrespectful to show someone the bottom of your feet, this is a topic of hiding women, disrespecting them and making them inferior. If these countries want to live off of tourism they need to realise that western women are a part of that and not drive their only industry away because of their values.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    spen666 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Luxor Eygpt. ....

Temples and religous sites, legs and shoulders covered. Tradition respected. Is it the tradition of the host country to sexually assault and harass visitors to their country?

I remembered what country I was in so I could remember which country to avoid in future
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • GiantMike wrote:
    Blackpool: I've ridden through there quite regularly for the last 2 years and I don't think there's a redeeming feature other than the M55 making it easy to leave.

(some bits of) Turkey and Greece: Lots of litter ruining very pretty coastlines. Rabid dogs. Don't sell Pepsi Max.

me and my m8s spent 2 nights in blackpool a few years ago for the worldmatchplay darts at the winter gardens.

all i can say is it was different.

for soft southeners it was a novelty, abit like southend but northern and more extreme (if thats possible). the 'hotel'/guesthouse that we stayed in was interesting too.

5 20 year olds in 2 rooms, one room effectively a triple a bed, with a bathroom and plumbing from the 1800's, the other 2 tiny single beds, and the ceiling 'tiles' were flapping somehow as there was an extreme wind/draft from somewhere (even though the window was closed) that made a howling noise and flapped the tiles. needless to say the 2nd night we made sure we spent the night in other locations!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Gaza.

again

well could be better than Cairo this year.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Isn't Sheeps mum from Rhyl?

yep, it's why I avoid the place
  • Turkey, Celis beach, food good, weather ok, sea lovely, scenery beautiful...but everywhere full of fat wobbly tattooed Brits drinking beer all day.