Pedals: Shimano M530
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Saint M810

Wheels: Nukeproof Generator Race
Rims: Nukeproof Generator Race 2012
Spokes: Dt Champion
Hubs: Generator 15/qr front and 135qr rear
Tires: Continental Mountain King II 2.4 Protection

Weight: 12.5kg

After my full sus frame cracked ( :cry: )I transferred everything to this bike, and have since made further upgrades to save weight. The cheep, hefty and very worn Rubber Queens are off, and I have converted the Generators to tubeless using Joe's rim strips and Stan's sealant. After lots of deliberation I chose to buy some Mountain King II 2.4 Protections, which are Black Chilli. this saved around 1 kg which I was very happy with, and I haven't had a puncture since :)

Pictures to follow soon :D

Comments

• moltryn
    moltryn Posts: 37
    Sounds nice, what year is it? Pics required..!!
    2012 GT Fury 2.0
    2011 GT Avalanche 1.0
    2009 GT XCR 5.0
    2007 GT Aggressor 1.0
    2009 GT Tour
    2011 Fuji Roubaix 3.0
  • Pictures are on the way! The frame is a 2011 model
  • Right, Photos are here!
    also, I have just fitted some new ODI vans Grips :D
    9568307291_88c39209e9_c.jpg
    9568297373_ebdc3f2d0d_c.jpg
    9568269723_0e91bf6789_c.jpg
    9571081826_5c2cf47c82_c.jpg
    9571037610_9b613a72f3_c.jpg
    9571043266_9632466a91_c.jpg
    9568256473_1dc01b92d4_c.jpg
    9571058188_17322ba684_c.jpg

Full Spec now:
    Frame: GT Avalanche 1.0
    Forks: Rockshox Recon 335 coil U turn 130-85mm
    Bars: Answer Pro-taper 780mm 1 inch rise
    Stem: Easton Haven 55mm mag
    Headset: FSA
    Grips: Ragley

Front Brake: Avid Juicy Carbon
    Front disc: Hayes 180mm
    Rear Brake: Avid lever and Shimano caliper
    Rear Disc: Hayes 160mm

Shifter: Sram X5 10 speed
    Cable: Shimano
    Rear Mech: Sram X0 Gold Short Cage 10 speed
    Chain Device: MRP G2 mini steel

Seat: Charge Spoon
    Seat Post: Ice Lift v8

Cranks: Shimano XT
    Chainring: Hope DH 36t black
    Chain: Sram PC-1091R
    Cassette: Sram PG-1070 11-36t
    Pedals: Shimano M530
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano Saint M810

Wheels: Nukeproof Generator Race
    Rims: Nukeproof Generator Race 2012
    Spokes: Dt Champion
    Hubs: Generator 15/qr front and 135qr rear
    Tires: Continental Mountain King II 2.4 Protection

Weight: 12.5kg

Also, can anyone recomend the new Deore brakes, I hope to be getting a pair soon
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    AngusChild wrote:
    Also, can anyone recomend the new Deore brakes, I hope to be getting a pair soon

Yes I can and do recommend them! I changed from some Avid Elixir 5s to a set of Deores only a couple of months ago on my HT and I'm very impressed with the power considering you can get them for £90 a set! Not sure how they will compare against your Juicy Carbons but I am a Shimano guy all the way now!

I like the GT by the way! Liking the hints of red here and there.
  • I have a set of Deores on my hardtail after having a set of Juicy 3's. Excellent brakes, much the same as the SLX on my full bounce, just a bit heavier. Plus the newer M615 can now accommodate the finned pads.
  • Cheers for the advice guys.
    I now have a set of the 615 brakes and rotors in the post from Germany!
    Also thinking of getting a new saddle, either a charge spoon or the new scoop, just cant decide which :lol:
  • Looks awesome, nice work!

How does it ride with the 130mm fork? I've got a 2011 Avalanche 2.0 with an 80mm SID, but I'm tempted to go for something with bigger stanchions and more travel in future
  • It rides really well, but still has a scarily low bb height, so the pedals have taken a good smashing
  • I know the feeling, mine get smashed at least twice every ride! Maybe 150mm travel is the answer.. and 2.5 inch tyres!
  • The mountain kings do help, as you can see in the photos the fork certainly couldnt handle anything bigger, but I thenk they have raised the bb by about half an inch. I think GT also sold these with a 140 fork (GT avalanche X) so I assume the bike could handle a longer fork, I'm tempted myself!
  • I emailed GT a few months ago and they said the frame couldn't take more than 100mm (they said the Avalanche X frame in the USA was reinforced with slacker angles compared to the British 1.0,2.0 and 3.0).

But when you look at the diagrams, it looks exactly the same to me - I think it's just the longer travel fork that makes the head angle different, so I'm tempted to plough on with it! Especially if your 130mm is riding ok... will let you know how it rides if I eventually get round to it - I'm thinking about some old Pike U-turns.
  • Sounds Good, I'd love to use some pike but the conversion would cost a bit much as my front wheen is the 15/qr hub, so I would have to buy the 20mm one.
    Interestingly, I believe that the the 2011 avalanche 1 was sold with a 120mm rockshox tora, which would be over the limits set by GT them selves
  • That's the problem. I think the Revelations are 9mm QR fitting, but I don't know about 15mm. Nice excuse for some new wheels though!

This is the response from GT:

"The Avalanche X is a re-inforced, slacker geometry frame, designed as a ‘hardcore hardtail’ for 130-140mm trail forks.
    The regular Avalanche in the UK is 80-100mm max, designed with XC forks in mind.
    You would be better getting a better quality non-dirtjump 100mm fork than trying to get more travel in there and ruining the handling.
    Fitting an unsuitable fork will also void your warranty in the event that anything happens to the bike that can be attributed to the fitting of incompatible parts".

But if you read this mtbr, it makes it look like the frames are all the same, and it's just the longer travel fork that makes the head angle slacker: http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/gt- ... 95239.html
  • Currently Living and riding in cornwall, put together a short GoPro edit yesterday, shot using Hero 3 black and Hero 2 in the Poldice Valley, worth a watch if you've got 2 minutes to spare!
    http://youtu.be/wWtqumHLJ-U
    Enjoy
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I swapped the 100mm Toras on my 2010 Avalanche for some 120mm Rebas - a big improvement. I got mine off eBay as a 'winter bike' but as the weather last year was so rubbish I rode it a lot - and I'm a big fan. All I need now is a dropper post.

Mine has no 'bling' at all, and a fairly nondescript frame... so not as good looking as your 2011. But it all works really well, and apart from the Rebas I've resisted the temptation to spend much money on it as it is supposed to be cheap-and-cheerful.

bed6b252-4b41-406d-bac1-1ffa41d0da60_zps03549db0.jpg
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • I would also like to add that the brakes are now upgraded to thi years deores, with dual 180mm rt76 (XT level) rotors. The brakes are amazing, especially for the price!
    also, any feed back on the video would be great :D
  • AngusChild wrote:
    I would also like to add that the brakes are now upgraded to thi years deores, with dual 180mm rt76 (XT level) rotors. The brakes are amazing, especially for the price!
    also, any feed back on the video would be great :D
    Vid was great. Nice bike, i've got the same yrs but yours is a fair bit more pimped up than mine.

Next time maybe mix in some helmet/chest/handlebar/seat post etc views too?
  • Thank you! Yeah, Definitly will put more in mounts, but just fancied a fast cutting edit.