Help needed with Garmin 800

rrsodl
rrsodl Posts: 486
edited August 2013 in Road general
I have been using my garmin without any issues but yesterday I experienced a problem.

I had created a route with MapMyRide which I then downloaded to my Garmin as I've done with other routes in the past.

The problem was that I was 1/3 into the route when I decided to use the Garmin to give me turn by turn directions. The Garmin asked if I wanted to Navigate to the start of the route which I didn't want to do. It found my location and followed my progress along the route but did not give any directions at all, in fact, I took a wrong turn on purpose and there was no a warning either.

Can't the Garmin give you turn by turn directions if you don't start the rout from the starting point?

The file was a gpx converted to tcx - done a few times in the past without any problems.

Any ideas of what I might have done wrong would be very welcome.

Comments

• RRSODL wrote:
    Can't the Garmin give you turn by turn directions if you don't start the rout from the starting point?
    It a while since I tried this but I remember it didn't work for me either. From memory, and as you say, you can follow a route but without the navigation,
  • rrsodl
    Actually, there's not even a route to follow - there's simply a GPS - same as if we were riding but not following a route.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    RRSODL wrote:
    I have been using my garmin without any issues but yesterday I experienced a problem.

I had created a route with MapMyRide which I then downloaded to my Garmin as I've done with other routes in the past.

The problem was that I was 1/3 into the route when I decided to use the Garmin to give me turn by turn directions. The Garmin asked if I wanted to Navigate to the start of the route which I didn't want to do. It found my location and followed my progress along the route but did not give any directions at all, in fact, I took a wrong turn on purpose and there was no a warning either.

The file was a gpx converted to tcx - done a few times in the past without any problems.

Did you change the course settings to have turn guidance on? By default they are usuallly off.
    Post a screen shot of the settings for the particular course.

8507055895_0cf66d64cb_o.jpg
  • freezing77
    The Edge 810, 800 and 510 have the capability of capturing screenshots on most pages and screen operations. Quickly pressing the power button will save screenshots once the Screen Capture setting is turned On. When the beep is heard, release from the Power button.

To turn Screen Capture on:

Touch the Setup men (tool icon)
    Press System
    Press Display
    Press Screen Capture
    Select On
    Press OK (or ) on message screen
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I've started a course half way through with Turn by Turn navigation on before without problem.
  • freezing77
    So have I, but was turn by turn navigation on in this instance?
  • rrsodl
    freezing77 wrote:
    RRSODL wrote:

Did you change the course settings to have turn guidance on? By default they are usuallly off.
    Post a screen shot of the settings for the particular course.

8507055895_0cf66d64cb_o.jpg

Of course..... I forgot that little step Dohhhh.

Cheers for that - I feel so stupid now :lol: