10 days in Brittany and Normandy

RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited August 2013 in The cake stop
10 days holiday and 8 days out on mon velo.

What a great experience on French roads. 200 miles - only one puncture - cause a faulty tyre.

No glass, bits of car, thorns, various shards of road debris, tin cans, animal remains liberally deposited at the side of the roads.

and in 200 miles only one road with serious potholes (about 1.5 miles of neglected road to a beach car park).

No being met on blind bends by cars doing 70 on roads not fit for 40. An immediate experience of first ride out back in Blighty.

Well done French highways... :D

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Excellent ... Pleased you had a good holiday experience. I'm still hopeful I might recover in time to get back over there this autumn. Did you try that new veloroute la manche?
  • Anywhere in Europe is so much more pleasurable to ride than in the UK.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Whereabouts did you go?

Some of the best riding is in Finistere.

We did 95km this morning and hardly saw one car;

http://www.strava.com/activities/75293973
  • Mikey23
    And it's still the French holiday season... Hardly saw another car in the loire last week, except in the car parks outside the chateau of course!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Whereabouts did you go?

5 days at Pabu, near Guingamp
    5 days at Pontorson, Mont Saint Michel

part driven by watching the footage of the time trial on the Tour this year. It works as a big ad for French tourism. This part of Normandy is very flat on the coast but you can quickly get to some rolling hills inland.
  • bernithebiker
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Whereabouts did you go?

5 days at Pabu, near Guingamp
    5 days at Pontorson, Mont Saint Michel

part driven by watching the footage of the time trial on the Tour this year. It works as a big ad for French tourism. This part of Normandy is very flat on the coast but you can quickly get to some rolling hills inland.

OK, very nice, but if you want some decent hills*, smooth roads, no traffic AND sea views, head into Finistere next time!

*7-10km, 4.5% Cat 3 climbs plus lots of short 10%ers.
  • Mikey23
    @bb ... Am still hopeful of doing some cycling in the autumn a visit be possible?
  • bernithebiker
    Mikey23 wrote:
    @bb ... Am still hopeful of doing some cycling in the autumn a visit be possible?

Any genuine, keen cyclist is welcome here..........(just don't nick any of my KOM's, or else...!)
  • Mikey23
    Tee hee, highly unlikely I could take a KOM off you even when I was fully fit! My hopefully final visit to the fracture clinic will be 9th September. If given the all clear, I will be back on the road if healing taking place. Until then have a pretty dire exercise bike and hopefully the loan of a turbo soon. Would be nice to have a goal to aim for before winter draws in so thanks and will keep in touch...