Which Bike To Buy!

chrisgreen-hd7
chrisgreen-hd7 Posts: 2
edited August 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi, I am new to cycling and am looking for a decent MTB (that holds it's value in case I fall out of love with the sport quicker than I planned). Like with cars, I am reluctant to buy brand new due to the depreciation (but will do if it is the best option). I am looking to spend around £500 and have been watching some of the 12/13 Boardman MTB Comps on Gumtree & Ebay which are typically selling for around £400.

There are lots of similar priced options (new bikes) on Evans Cycles; hardtails with hydraulic brakes but since I know very little about what to look for with how the frame is manufactured, gear manufacturers, chains and all the other major components, I am looking at the basics - Size and weight. The Boardman seems quite unique in that they have a 19" frame whereas most others are either 18" or 20". 19" frame is bang on for myself and of course, how it feels is critical.

Can anyone give me any advice on alternate options (up to £500, either new or on the used markets) and why they suggest it??

Thanks, Chris

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    See the sticky at the top of Buying Advice and there's no way of telling what size will fit without sitting on it.
    Manufacturers measure in different ways, and even between models.
    Length if top tube is probably more crucial as you can fiddle with seat posts for height.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rule of thumb, if you are average height and build you'll want a medium, that's about it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 6 foot tall 34 inch inside leg on a 19 inch boardman suits me fine
  • 6'4 tall and the 19" Boardman suits me fine too! Lots to choose from, and plenty out there at the price you're looking at.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team