105 shifters bit disapointed

dave02
dave02 Posts: 325
edited August 2013 in Road general
Hi
Just got my new Specialized Roubuix Sport Triple. Its great its all i wanted, just a bit disapointed with the 105 shifters, they are not that smooth, is it just me expecting to much or do you think there is a problem, any thoughts.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The rear shifting should be fine so perhaps it hasn't been set up correctly. As for the front shifting... well you have a triple. It's always going to be a bit rough.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've just put 105 on my mates bike and to be honest there's squat difference between 5700, 6700 and 7900, they all shift fine.
  • Grill
    They all shift fine, but there's a difference- especially with 7900.
  • Bozman
    I wouldn't say that there's a major difference apart from the cost.
  • Grill wrote:
    As for the front shifting... well you have a triple. It's always going to be a bit rough.

Not true. The front shifting will be fine if it has been set up correctly.
  • Grill
    Grill wrote:
    As for the front shifting... well you have a triple. It's always going to be a bit rough.

It will shift fine, but it won't be butter smooth. That's what I meant. As the OP hasn't described his definition of 'rough' I have to go on what I'd consider it to be.

@Bozman- I can easily tell the difference between 5700 and 6700, so throwing 7900 into the mix is an absolute cakewalk. The biggest difference is the front shifting.
  • Bozman
    Grill wrote:

That is probably the major difference, the 7900 FD has no chain rub at all on the large chain ring and very little on the smaller chain ring, but you need the trim on 5700 and 6700.

* as just mentioned*
  • Grill wrote:
    It will shift fine, but it won't be butter smooth. That's what I meant. As the OP hasn't described his definition of 'rough' I have to go on what I'd consider it to be.

Sorry, I still don't agree with you. I have a 7800 triple on one bike, a 7900 double on another and the 7800 is the smoother of the two. I don't believe the roughness the OP is describing has anything to do with it being a triple.
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    Noisy and clicky but good. Better than my old Sora Shifters. I liked them on my rental bike in Tenerife.
  • Grill
    Grill wrote:

Sorry, I still don't agree with you. I have a 7800 triple on one bike, a 7900 double on another and the 7800 is the smoother of the two. I don't believe the roughness the OP is describing has anything to do with it being a triple.

You can't compare the front shifting of 7800 to 5700, that's just not fair. As for 7800 vs. 7900, I'va had both and prefer 7900. I find it much smoother, but then again it's properly set up. ;)
  • Grill wrote:
    You can't compare the front shifting of 7800 to 5700, that's just not fair. As for 7800 vs. 7900, I'va had both and prefer 7900. I find it much smoother, but then again it's properly set up. ;)

I'm not. I'm saying that roughness isn't down to it being a triple.

Oh and I quite like 7900 as well. 7800 is a bit light for me.
  • Grill
    Sure, but as we have no idea what the roughness is it could be to do with trimming, which you need to do more of on a triple.
  • OK, fair enough.

Come on OP, more info!
  • mikeabanks
    mikeabanks Posts: 116
    I have Ultegra on rear on new bike and on my first couple of rides I thought it felt rough - not as nice as my old 105 (triple). After that it was realy "smooth", It just needed time to bed in.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Basically what they're saying OP is set up your gears correctly and they'll work great - there's nothing wrong with 105. It's a great groupset!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've had a 105 triple for 6 years now, always been well set up. Rear shifts are quick and precise (apart from when the cable started fraying inside the shifter). At the front, dropping onto a smaller chainring always seems to happen with a bit of a clunk, but I've always assumed that's how they work.
  • I've got 105 triple on my new bike and the shifting is really smooth, however it took a few rides and minor tweaks to get the front set up properly.
  • With my 105 compact double the back shifts ok and shifting down on the front is ok. But shifting up to the big ring is always a problem.

It usually ends up I'm pedalling along then I push the lever, then push the lever again, then have to push and hold it a few seconds until the chain finally gets up onto the big cog. The Ultegra bike I hired in Spain was just one push and that was it. :|

I've had it looked at by the bike shop who say the shifting is normal, changed the front mech to Ultegra and set up by the bike shop again but still getting up to the big ring is a trial.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    How close is the FD outer cage to the big chainring? It should be as close as possible without actually touching.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge wrote:
    How close is the FD outer cage to the big chainring? It should be as close as possible without actually touching.

I'll take a look!

BTW is there any advantage to Ultegra shifters over 105, besides the carbon levers? I'm upgrading bits and bobs where I can but the shifters are expensive!
  • dave02
    dave02 Posts: 325
    Hi
    Thanks for the input, been back to the shop and they say "it needs setting up, as it should be as smooth as silk" they will do it when i take it in for its 4 week service, I will see how it goes, They say it should make no differance if its a triple or compact,