Shimano Ultegra Wheelset

Tiltzey Boy
Tiltzey Boy Posts: 120
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all!

Just bought a 2012 Scott CR1 Pro frame (65% off at Westbrook cycles which I couldn't resist!), looking at building it up.

Found a set of Shimano Ultegra wheels for 220 quid. Having read mostly positive reviews elsewhere, does anyone think it'd be a bad move? Could you recommend something better for the same money?

Like the idea of easy maintenance of the Shimano's, reliablility and I also think they look quite good too (understated IMO, which I like).

Think I've pretty much made my mind up but wanted some fresh opinions!!

Cheers all!!

:)
Scott CR1 Pro (Build in progress!!)
Giant Defy 3

Comments

• grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    Can't help but I'm looking at ultegras to ugrade my 500's on a scott speedster 20. Only thing is im 14 1/2 stone and they don't have a lot of spokes.
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    edited August 2013
    Done about 80 miles on a pair I ordered from Ribble last week.

I weigh just shy of 14 stone. No issues so far and I've hit some nasty road defects at speed.

Just be wary though. The brake tracks were a little scratched in places. Ribble's fault no doubt. Not too fussed though as they'll polish out with wear. Also a little swarf in the rear rim which I haven't managed to get out yet. I think a hoover, some duct tape and a bit of tube might help. (EDIT Just removed all of it by shaking vigorously.)

The front hub bearings were a bit tight. These will need 1x 17mm cone spanner for the cone and a regular 17mm spanner or adjustable for the lock nut. Rear sizes I believe are 14mm lock nut and 15mm cone, both require cone spanners.

They look great, the rear hub is rather sexy. They feel a touch quicker than my old wheels while accelerating and climbing. The bike feels noticeably lighter. Also looking forward to trying out Schwalbes new tubeless offerings.

Overall I think they're great and a steal at £ 220

Also for tubes (if not going tubeless), choose Michelin Butyl with 40mm valves. These fit perfect.
  • Campag Zondas if you can find them for £250
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Dmak wrote:
    Done about 80 miles on a pair I ordered from Ribble last week.

I weigh just shy of 14 stone. No issues so far and I've hit some nasty road defects at speed.

Just be wary though. The brake tracks were a little scratched in places. Ribble's fault no doubt. Not too fussed though as they'll polish out with wear. Also a little swarf in the rear rim which I haven't managed to get out yet. I think a hoover, some duct tape and a bit of tube might help. (EDIT Just removed all of it by shaking vigorously.)

The front hub bearings were a bit tight. These will need 1x 17mm cone spanner for the cone and a regular 17mm spanner or adjustable for the lock nut. Rear sizes I believe are 14mm lock nut and 15mm cone, both require cone spanners.

They look great, the rear hub is rather sexy. They feel a touch quicker than my old wheels while accelerating and climbing. The bike feels noticeably lighter. Also looking forward to trying out Schwalbes new tubeless offerings.

Overall I think they're great and a steal at £ 220

Also for tubes (if not going tubeless), choose Michelin Butyl with 40mm valves. These fit perfect.

Cheers Dmac. Some good feedback there!

I'm around 12 and a bit stone, so my weight wasn't really too much of an issue when choosing the wheels, I'd just read some good reports on them, especially as I plan on riding them in all weathers, so robustness/durability was one of the biggest factors!!

I've asked Merlin cycles if they'll do a price match, cos I've had one or two issues in the past with Ribble, but if that fails then I'll just plump for the Ribble option anyhow!

Sloppy - How do the Campags fair in the more gash weather and on on the kack British roads? Like I say, I plan on using them all year round so they'd need to be pretty tough, not to mention easy to service!

Cheers for the help people!!

:wink:
    Scott CR1 Pro (Build in progress!!)
    Giant Defy 3
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Done about 500 miles on mine this year. A great wheel and is pretty much a Dura Ace wheel for £200. I love the lacing on the rear wheel.

Only qualm I have is that the front wheel seems to wobble under stress. I'd still buy another set though.
  • Dmak
    You're welcome TB.

BTW you can get campag wheels set up for Shimano but not from Ribble it seams. Fulcrum wheels are campag wheels as such for Shimano setups (in case you weren't aware)

With regards to Overlords comment. The front isn't that stiff I agree. This is noticeable if the wheel magnet is set too close to the sensor. I wouldn't say wobbly though. The wheels do seem to soak up shit road surfaces better than shit wheels do.
  • daffyavfc
    daffyavfc Posts: 237
    Hi

just received my wheels today from Ribble too. Was initially panicking :shock: as the rims say Tubeless but was not aware they take both as have always used clinchers.
    I've not used tubeless before and wondered if I should try tubeless tyres as have not bought any clinchers yet?

questions?

How do they fit/attach onto the rim
    How do you fix them if they get a puncture and....
    Are they more expensive than their clincher equivalents? (would be large to carry around in a saddle bag?)

thanks

daffyavfc
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Campag Zondas if you can find them for £250

The reviews on here are what clinched it for me: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-wheelset/
    Plus a thread I started on here entitled IIRC 'Why does no one recommend Campagnolo wheels'

Managed to bag some (I hope) from Evans for about £260 with 10% discount, and should be £255 with Quidco cashback.
    When I 'purchased' them it was saying stock should be in at the end of August - they have already taken the cash so I bloomin hope so.

1550g for £250, next nearest, but more pricey would seem to be the Shimano RS80 for £300 which are only 30g lighter iirc.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daffyavfc wrote:
    Hi

just received my wheels today from Ribble too. Was initially panicking :shock: as the rims say Tubeless but was not aware they take both as have always used clinchers.
    I've not used tubeless before and wondered if I should try tubeless tyres as have not bought any clinchers yet?
    questions?
    How do they fit/attach onto the rim
    How do you fix them if they get a puncture and....
    Are they more expensive than their clincher equivalents? (would be large to carry around in a saddle bag?)

I think that's better answered by you starting another thread as it's a big topic in itself. But you should be able to fit your existing tyres / tubes.

Ultegra seem good value for £220. I assume that's the 6700 10 speed version rather than the newer 6800 11 speed?

I've just got a set of RS80's for £300, 10 speed and clincher only, no tubeless.
  • daffyavfc
    daffyavfc Posts: 237
    I've got the rs80's on my other bike and are excellent, these ultegra at 220 seem good value for the money, I've started another thread for the tube or tubeless debate.
  • I' ve been riding these for about 2 years now. Can't fault them apart from it is tough to get tyres on them. They're my only wheels so i've raced on them, and trained all year round on them without a problem.
  • Are tyres being tough to fit common for tubeless? I've seen a lot of comments along those lines for the Ultegra and Dura Ace wheelsets?

Fitted the tyres to my RS80's last night, really easy, just push on.
  • Dmak
    Are tyres being tough to fit common for tubeless? I've seen a lot of comments along those lines for the Ultegra and Dura Ace wheelsets?

Fitted the tyres to my RS80's last night, really easy, just push on.

A little tougher but no major deal. This is with GP4000s at the moment. I can also get them off without levers..yay.